The Middle is my favorite show right now. I love the family and the kids. Brick is my favorite because all he wants to do is read. His parents are always trying to get him to do other activities. He doesn't enjoy swimming because the pages get wet. At his Birthday Party his mother passed out books to each of his friends and they sat around a table silently reading. The kids were miserable and the mother had to say, "Come on, when Brick goes to your birthday parties he does what you want, and this is what Brick wants." Then they all sang Happy Birthday to him in whispery voices because they were at the library. He has overdue library books, and the librarian argues with him. She gives him until Walt Whitman's birthday to find the lost books. This made me laugh hard because of course the librarian, and any real reader knows exactly when Walt Whitman's birthday is because when you love to read you just know these things.
Mary Kate has me hooked on HGTV. We have all had a good time watching this channel and each of us has our favorites. My favorite is House Hunter's International. I love to see the homes people are buying in foreign countries. We watched an episode where a woman from New Jersey wanted to raise her family in Israel. She bought a 2 Million dollar home in an Orthodox Jewish Neighborhood in Jerusalem! It was incredible to watch and we did so mesmerized.
Friday is the day I love to go to the movies. I wish there were enough interesting movies out all the time so I could go to the movies every Friday, but there aren't. It makes me feel like I've actually had a weekend if I can see a movie. I check the paper on Thursday to see what's playing and if there is something good, I usually try and see it. I will go all alone, and it doesn't bother me one bit. I usually like a movie more when I see it alone! If I go with someone I usually end up having a great time, andlaughing with them but missing some of the movie. I miss not having someone with me when the movie is over because there's no one to discuss it with. When the movie ends I usually want to turn around and ask those seated behind me, "Wasn't that good?" But other than that I'm completely comfortable going alone. And besides, there's nothing like a big, bucket of Popcorn. Or at least a small bag!So, Happy Friday everyone and Happy President's Day Weekend. I hope you all get to do something fun, read a good book, watch The Middle, HGTV, or at the very least, see a movie!




16 comments:
I also went to bed reading Daniel Peterson's columns from Mormon Times, and two by Terryl Givens, and also a book about Reed Smoot by Kathleen Flake. Just in case anyone's wondering, but this book's chapter made me do a little delving.
And the movie for today will be Rabbit Hole. Erin said she'd like to see it so I watched the trailer and it looks pretty good. Sad, but good.
I love your comment about the movies....I love the movies. I also go alone to the movies every couple weeks. Some of my friends are like youre joking right? You don't really go alone do you? Of course I do. I find it very plesant to go alone. Although just like you I don't have anyone to discuss it with. I usually sit in the theatre laughing out loud the whole. I don't hold back at all. I'm stuck on the show modern family. Gloria the mother in it reminds me of tita. :). It's a really funny show. I'm sooo glad you love house hunters.....I watch it all the time. I love it. I love seeing what people decide to buy. Sometimes makes me think that maybe one day I'll have enough money to buy a house and be that picky. Until that day....I'll just keep watching house hunters and keep dreaming!
Oh hurray, you posted Friday Favorites! I keep thinking about doing a FF post, but I haven't been able to come up with any original favorites. I think just about all of my favorites are my favorites because one of my sisters told me about something fabulous. Like the Middle. It's my favorite favorite, too. But you told me about it. I loved Brick's birthday party, too. I thought it was hilarious. I think we need to have a birthday party for you at the library, someday. Or maybe you would prefer Barnes and Noble. Wouldn't that be fun if Barnes and Noble had a party room. With big comfy chairs and you could sit with your friends and read and eat pastries. I would love to have a birtday party like that. If BN doesn't do this already, they really should start.
I want to read the price of everything and I think that's a crack up that it had a chapter about polygamy. And I laughed out loud that you fall asleep dreaming about prairies and polygamy.
I hope you and darling Erin Leigh have a great time at the the movies and I really hope it's not, "awkward"
Oh Court,
I loved reading how fearless you are about going to the movies alone, and how you don't hold back and laugh out loud hard. I'll have to try it. I don't think I've seen anything funny alone, only serious and sad films.
That is so funny Gloria reminds you of Tita. We love her on the show. We love Tita, too. Who doesn't? Your In Law's are wonderful.
As for House Hunter's we watch it enviously. Some of their lives look incredible.
Well, it's too bad we don't live closer, then we could watch it together. We could go to the movies together, too but I know we're both perfectly content going alone.
What about restaurants, Court? Will you go there alone? Mary Kate goes alone, but I haven't forced myself to try it yet. Maybe I should do it next week just so I can blog about it! I could take my picture a
Catherine,
Could you call Barnes and Noble for me and schedule my birthday party for me?
I thought that was a great idea, and think you should call them and suggest they start having a birthday party room for readers.
I fall asleep dreaming about everything I go to bed reading. Thank gosh I don't read anything scary.
That would be frightening. Polygamy is scary enough!
I have never seen The Middle, but the idea of a b-day party where they all had to sit and read silently is a crack up. I love House Hunters. I don't like TV, but if I turn it on I go straight to House Hunters. I am always amazed at how different prices are in different places. I watched the same episode you did and was freaking out that they had to spend 2 million on that house. A friend of mine blogged about going to the movies alone the other day and I would never do it. I couldn't. Kristen will take a book and go to a restaurant alone and I always really admired that confidence. I would sit in the car and sweat it out until I talked myself out of going through with it.
Usually I don't like the movie theater, but yesterday I took Luke on a "date" to go see Tangled at the cheap seats and had so much fun watching him crack up througout the movie. Not sure if you have been to the discount cinema in Temecula, but the tickets are only around four bucks so I always just wait and see movies there.
I also love to watch HGTV, but it always makes me want to change my house, which can be pricey. My favorite is the Food network. I always watch it at the gym and fantasize about the food they show. Then on my way home I drive past that shop, "Nothing Bundt Cakes" and I fantasize about their red velvet bundt cake because someone told me it's the best cake ever...
Val,
I LOVE Nothing Bundt Cakes, and their Red Velvet is the BEST I have ever had. :) One special day, after the gym, you should stop and get the mini-cake. I'm sure the "mini" part doesn't help the calorie count much, but it is oh so worth it.
As for the movies, a family favorite for sure! My Mom started our love for the movies and it still continues. This weekend we saw Gnomeo and Juliette (in Utah because it's cheaper) and Gulliver's Travel (Dollar theater). I might take the kids to see Tron today-also at the dollar theater.
I also go to the movies by myself. If Mark and I bicker and need a "timeout," I usually will catch a movie. I love it, and it doesn't bother me being alone.
Julie,
I love that you saw the same episode of House Hunters.
It amazed me just being able to pick up and move and buy a 2Million dollar home in The Holy Land. Who does that? And how do they do that?
Also, I love The Middle because it's a show for a Mom. It shows how ridiculous everything is and how busy. As for the movies alone, I couldn't do it for a long time, and finally just forced myself. It was embarrassing at first and I did feel self conscious. I took a magazine with me and read it alone until they dimmed the lights.
But, afterward it felt like "I did it" and could cross it off my list. Now, I don't even think twice about going alone.
I'm so impressed with Kristen. I need to force myself to go alone to a restaurant. I'm sure I could do it as long as I had a book or a magazine but it still seems awkward. And what if you're all alone and you see a group of people come in you know..."Oh, hi, I'm just having lunch alone....all by myself...in solitary confinement." Hahahaha...ok, laugh and know that I'm teasing. Even if that happened I would laugh about it and at myself and then throw myself back into my book. All this discussion about it makes me want to try it......sooon!
But, I love that you attempted to do it! I could see me doing the exact same thing....sweating it out in my car.
Val,
I love the cheap seats. The popcorn costs more than the ticket. I didn't know Tangled was playing there now. We'll have to go see it.
I get it with HGTV and making you want to change your house. It makes me want to move to another country.
I've seen the Nothing Bundt Cake shop but haven't been. I'll have to try it. I love the way red velvet cake looks but I have never made it at home. I should try it. I'm always worried about getting the right kind of red food coloring.
Thanks for telling me about Nothing Bundt, though. I love to hear about what everyone likes and recommends.
Also,
I love that you watch Food Network while you work out. I do the exact same thing. I love to watch all the great things Barefoot Contessa/Ina Garten is making while I'm on the treadmill trying to run! It's ridiculous but it's my favorite thing to watch while I'm trying to exercise.
Katie,
Nice to know you got the Go to the movie alone gene, too.
How was Gnomeo and Juliette?
We are thinking about seeing it today since the kids have the day off from school.
Now there are two recommendations for Red Velvet Cake. The mini cake also sounded good. I would love to go there for lunch.
Why is it that children never think of treats or a snack as lunch? A piece of red velvet cake sounds like the perfect meal!
Katie,
I will definitely pick up one of the mini cakes someday...sounds too good to resist!
Leslie,
That pic of you and Mike at the top of the page is so freakin cute!
Val,
It was all Mike. He scanned it this morning. That is his favorite picture of us because we are so young.
That new picture is SO cute. You guys are so young, and just adorable. Your kids must have the thickest hair in the world with all that gorgeous dark hair you guys passed on. Something about that picture actually reminds me of my mom, when she was super young of course.
It's Mike's favorite. That's why it's there. When I posted the other one, he kept saying he was going to put that one up, and today he did.
We look so little, it's ridiculous. But, we felt old. Well, old enough. We were 16, ready to take on the world!
Our kids have more hair than we do. The boys hair just grows bigger and bigger instead of longer.
That is so funny you see your Mom in me. My kids see it to, and they came home from our lunch together telling me I look like her. I think I do, too. I think we both look like my Dad. Your mom was hilarious that day and made my kids laugh about how much she looks like him.
I have been thinking about you today. I read your blog and understood. My kids had the day off today so I will comment tomorrow. Also, I loved the new pictures on your blog of you and your family.
That's a great picture of you and Seth and so is the one of your whole family.
Post a Comment