CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Anne Tyler


On Sunday morning I woke up and read a Barnes&Noble interview about Anne Tyler. She said her next book is going to be about a man whose wife returns from the dead.
As soon as I read this I felt anxious to read it and certain that it will be funny.

Reading this reminded me of one of Woody Allen's movies. In it a distraught woman begins seeing a fortune teller, but the fortune teller isn't a fortune teller at all and was hired by the woman's daughter to portray one. The daughter was worried about her mother and thought it would make her feel better. The woman begins to believe Crystal, The Fortune Teller and thus turns to her for everything. "Crystal said...... Crystal thinks.....Crystal knows." Crystal soon begins to develop a clientele. The distraught woman then meets a man who also sees Crystal. He is trying to contact his departed wife from beyond the grave. Eventually, the departed wife grants permission and the man and the formerly distraught woman marry and find happiness and joy in all that Crystal says.

If Anne Tyler's upcoming book is anything like this, and I'm hoping it is, it will be hilarious. Anne Tyler also wrote about a fortune teller in Searching For Caleb. She said it was so far fetched and so far from her own life that it was her favorite book to write.
All of her books are so good, meaningful, and fun to read. I never want to put them down until I have devoured the whole thing. Then I will begin the book all over again and return to it for years and years. I only wish she could write faster. Could someone tell her to hurry?










7 comments:

Prudy said...

Crystal told me to come over and read this post. I still haven't seen that movie. There's no hope for me. I've got too much to do and more is piling on really fast right now. But I love Anne. I really do. She never lets me down. I hope she'll hurry and publish again. It's too long between her books. Maybe she should have a blog so that we can relax a little bit in between books.
Midterms are due on Friday, I'm taking an online course with too many requirements and it's time for dinner. Calgon take me away.

Catherine said...

No time, no time. Bed time. But I love this post. I want to watch that movie and read Anne's book. I'll be back tommorow with a real comment!

Seth and Julie said...

At least she is still writing. I think all my favorite authors are dead. I did finally read one of her books after many recommendations from you and Erin. I read Breathing Lessons. I won't lie and say she was an instant favorite, but I did appreciate her style. Her words and characters came across as very authentic. I will have to read something by her again. Any favorites?

Leslie said...

Julie,
My favorite is Saint Maybe. It's all about forgiveness and redemption, and the man in it is very sweet. Ian joins The Church of The Second Chance.
I also love Morgan's Crossing, and The Accidental Tourist.
I enjoyed Breathing Lessons and she won a Pullitzer for it but it's not on my Top Five. But, I loved how protective she was of Ira, and how hearing his father berate him, helped drive her to him.
I loved The Amateur Marriage and Back When We Were Grown ups.
You know me, I can never, ever only choose one book. I always have so many favorites.
I need to read East of Eden. I just had a few more books arrive in the mail today. Hurray. Is there anything better than having books arrive? It makes me so happy. I will be immersed in those for a while, but East of Eden is on my list.
Did you read our book club book? I hope you did.
We get to discuss it tomorrow. The 25th got here quick!

Catte,
I can't wait to read whatever she writes. She is my favorite contemporary writer of fiction.

Erin,
Please imagine "Crystal says, Crystal thinks, Crystal says," with an English accent. It sounds even more sincere and believable in an English accent.
Can you imagine how many readers Anne Tyler would have if she had a blog? Everyone would be devouring every word, and wanting to know all about
her. She is extraordinarily private and only grants interviews through writing.
I'm sorry you are so busy. If I lived closer, I could help you. I think. What could I do. Hold an eraser?
Sharpen red pencils? Vacuum your house? Well, just know I would try to help you if I could.

Catherine said...

I'm back to leave a real comment, but now I have nothing clever to say. I love everything that Anne Tyler writes, even if I don't like all of her endings, I always enjoy the book. I don't know which one is my favorite favorite but I really loved "Digging to America." And I loved "The Amature Marriage" and "Back When We Were Grownups" and "Morgan's Passing" actually I think maybe my favorite favorite is "Noah's Compass." I loved that one. Anyway, I think we'll have to read some Anne Tyler for book club.

Today Annabelle told me that she misses you and wants to visit you tommorow. She also said she wants to invite you and the Littles to her birthday party.

Seth and Julie said...

I did read the book club book. I got it on Valentines Day (for myself) and read it in one sitting. I have been watching the calendar ever since because I can't wait to talk to all of you about it. I will definitely add some more Anne Tyler to my future reading. I think Catherine is right, maybe we should read one for book club. Did anyone ever step up and pick a book for March. I am so excited about book club. I hope everyone else is not over it two months from now, because I think it is going to be so much fun.

Leslie said...

Catte,
That was so cute of Annabelle. Tell her I miss her and wish she could come over and play TODAY. Not tomorrow but today! I wish I lived closer so I could be the doting Aunt now and take children to the park and to run errands and play. My kids need some little cousins in their daily lives.
Be sure and tell Annabelle we would love to come to her birthday party. That was very nice of her to invite us.

Julie,
I'm so glad you read the Tiger Mother Book. I meant to post something about asking everyone how their reading was going with the book club book, but never did. I will post something today so we can start the discussion. With this book, it could last all month.
That was so nice of you to read an Anne Tyler. As you can tell we really like her. Yes, we should definitely read one of her books for book club.
And yes, someone stepped up for March.
Catherine's in charge of March and will probably tell us what she chose soon.
I hope everyone joins in and that we can at least make it through a year of book club. I hope no one burns out on it, and I keep thinking why would they?
We discuss everything else under the sun on the blogs, and we all love to read, so why would we ever get tired of discussing what we read?
I loved your post yesterday with the blog challenge.
I'm behind on comments and yesterday I had to do my visiting teaching, and Mike was home.
Anyway, I'm anxious to comment about that and I still have to post about book club, and it's 6:50 am and I had really better go, go, go.