CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, January 28, 2011

Superman had Surgery

I think everyone knows Dad had surgery today but immediately afterward he was fully alert, making phonecalls, conducting business and giving praise. He did not sound like he had just had major surgery at all. He sounded faster than a speeding bullet and more powerful than a locomotive.

I was extremely surprised to hear from him and thought he would be in pain, and resting or sleeping quietly. He wasn't doing any of those things, and I really should have known better. Afterall it's Dad! Dad who hardly needed a wink of sleep when we were growing up, Dad who worked harder and later than anyone I've ever known, Dad who rose earlier in the morning and went to the gym more often than any man I've ever known, Dad who is the most organized person in the world I know, and Dad the man of steel who is not only tough but impossible to keep down.

His greatest concern was for Mom and he said he has to heal quickly to settle her nerves. He sounded very happy, not the least bit tired, and acted as if he and mom were going to have a great time in the hospital together. I think they already are.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if after he heals, he will be able to leap tall buildngs in a single bound. Afterall, it's Dad we're talking about, and Mom has always said he's Superman. She has said it for years and today it was really very reassuring and awfully nice to know that she was right again.

7 comments:

Katie and Mark said...

Great post! He is amazing! :) We are so glad he is doing so well.

Leslie said...

If you don't have the music turned up, could you turn it up and listen to it for this post. I found the song and couldn't resist playing it.

Unknown said...

WOW!!! I thought I was doing well when I stopped crying after I got my last cavity filled. Afterall, it's me! Me who falls asleep on the couch to wake at 3 am realizing nobody cared, Me who works for an hour and needs to stop for a break, Me who passes the gym saying, 'I should go there some day', Me who can't figure out what my checking balance is.
I can only hope, if I ever have children, my girls LOVE me this much. I guess it could have been worse..... she could have called him Steve Austin.
Get well soon!!

Seth and Julie said...

Such a sweet post! I am glad to hear that your Superman is fighting off his kryptonite. We'll remember him in our prayers, and your mom too, because I relate to those nerves.

Catherine said...

I love this post! Pop really is Super Man. He's amazing and I was shocked when I talked to him, how well he was doing. And now I feel like a big wimp and like I'm not living up to his legacy, because I really love to nap. So I'll just live up to Mom's legacy and nap on the couch til all hours of the night.

Oh and Baby Paul loves this post. He loves the music and the superman pictures. He doesn't know much about Superman but he recognizes a super hero when he sees one. Did you know that he thinks Pop is a jedi?

Extravaganza said...

I loved this one! Super cute. I reminds me of how I feel with Dad. Although his comment put it into a different perspective! I however think that ALL dads are their daughters Superman. Despite mine sleeping on the couch the second he hits it or getting hurt whenever he goes to ward activities... They're all great in their own weird way!

Leslie said...

Katie, I agree. He really is.

Dear Syxmiles,
When you are 69 years old and having knee surgery, or in your case, back surgery, I will be sure to sing your praises. If you continue to make me laugh and manage to last another 26 years with me I'll call you by a super heroic name, too: Marathon Man!

Julie,
I loved that you played along and mentioned a Kryptonite reference. That was nice of you, and he really always has been our whole family's Super Man!

Catherine,
How are any of us going to live up to either of our
parent's legacies? They are incredible.
I love that little Paul thinks Grandpa's a Jedi.
I could see it. Jordan used to ask if Grampa had more power than He-Man!

Mallory,
You understood it perfectly. I believe all Dad's need a daughter/daughters.
Dad's are so important, and if you're lucky, and have a good one, they win your trust and adoration for the rest of their lives. But, you already have and know that. Don't pay any attention to your Dad's nonsense. He only said it to make us all laugh. But, I did like his Six Million Dollar Man reference. Do you even know who Steve Austin is?