

Yesterday we went with Laurie to see her girls. We spent the day at Cammy's swimming and had a great time. How can you not have a great time with Laurie and her girls? They are so much fun and Laurie showed up with donuts, Candice showed up with sodas, Cammy showed up with Subway, and the pizza man showed up with pizzas. These are the ingredients for a great time, and we almost missed it. I wasn't planning on going, but Laurie called at 9:15 am and The Littles insisted that we go. They were packing their towels and bathing suits before they even handed me the phone- my new working phone- and by 9:30 we were on our way because I am a Pure,Western, Softhearted, Give-In -To and Don't -Disappoint The Children- Kind of Mother. I'ts January but it feels like the middle of summer. Yesterday was 88 degrees and beautiful. It was a little disconcerting and I almost asked Justin what grade he is in now, forgetting that it's not summer and he won't be moving on to a new grade because he's still in the same grade as last week.
Everyone had lots of news, and funny stories and Candice has been listening to a Cd about parenthood called Love& Logic. It's all about letting the children choose for themselves and learning from consequences. Amery who is only 2 years old chose not to wear her floatie. Candice warned her that this was not a good decision but Amery did not care. Candice allowed her to not wear her floatie and to go where she wanted, which was straight into the pool. We were all watching with interest and Candice, wise mother that she is, went straight in after her.
Which brings us to Paula Deen, Giada de Laurentiis and Bambi. Whenever Candice's kids watch Bambi they fight. Want to know what they fight about? They fight about being Bambi. All of them want to be Bambi, and it's very upsetting to them if someone else is Bambi, too. Candice can't understand any of this because if they're pretending to be Bambi can't they just pretend everyone can be Bambi? None of us could understand this either and decided that children are just plain territorial.
Which brings us to Paula Deen and Giada. The Littles used to fight over being Paula Deen. They loved her Southern accent and both of them insisted that they were her when they watched her show. Their arguments were loud and Erin was little and used to cry if she couldn't be Paula.
The only other character's on her show were her husband and sons, and it was beneath my girls to pretend to be boys. I know. I suggested it. Candice could offer Thumper or Flower, at least they were cute cartoon characters. My girls only had Paula.
Finally after months of having to take turns being Paula and being put on a Paula Deen schedule, Jordan announced that Giada was beautiful. Well, we all thought Giada was beautiful, but Jordan reeeeaaalllly thought she was beautiful. And that's when the spatula turned.
Erin Leigh decided from that time forth she would be Giada, and thankfully Annie Laurie wanted to remain Paula Deen. Everyone at our house was relieved and Annie felt new freedom in her role as the one and only Paula Deen in the family. Harmony flowed and we could finally watch The Food Network in peace.
Candice felt better that her children were not alone in their pretending, and Laurie said only my children would pretend to be on a cooking show. I told her I like to pretend I'm on PBS,
which isn't true, but sounded funny and brings us to this conclusion; Logic does not apply to children. They are illogical, fascinating, determined and territorial little creatures. If you try to use logic on them you'll go crazy. Mom used to always say that raising children was like being at Bellevue, and that in order to keep from ending up there you had to keep your sense of humor.
Sometimes, it's hard to remember that when the job of raising children is so serious, but for a brief moment we had a good laugh at how hard it is to be logical with the illogical. Especially when they're two years old.



8 comments:
I love the way you described your mothering. "a Pure,Western, Softhearted, Give-In -To and Don't -Disappoint The Children- Kind of Mother." I've been thinking a lot about the kind of mother I am and the kind of mother I want to be and it turns out, I'm a bipolar, schizophrenic, multiple personality disorder, Mother. Aren't my children the luckiest?
Anyway I love your post and I'm laughing my head off that your kids wanted to be Paula! My kids love to pretend to be cartoon characters and I always have to choose one, too. Luckily if there are not two cute girl characters, Annabelle offers to share. I guess it's okay to share if it's with your mother. Especially if your mother is the schizophrenic, bi-polar, multiple personality disorder variety. =D
Oh that was fast.
hahahaaa. Yes, what kind of mother are you?
Doesn't that book sound interesting?
Shall we read it for Book Club?
Wasn't this post long? I was afraid no one would read it.
Yes, my kids loved to be Paula, which I always thought was funny. They were around 3 and 5 at the time, or maybe 4 and 6, but it was funny.
That's very kind of Annabelle to share her not two cute character with you. If they are both cute, is she both of them?
Do you remember doing this as a kid?
I really don't, but maybe we did.
Well, can't wait to see what everyone else is going to weigh in as. I loved the title. You should write a book.
First off, I LOVE Catte's comment. I was thinking the samething about myself. Not really sure exactly what type I am. Sometimes I will let them chose small things but definitly not the big things (Like being late for school. It is my job, as their Mother, to get them there on time, right? At least right now, while the are still young?).
Second, Leslie-Did letting Amery chose work? Did she chose to put her floaties on after taking a dip?
Third, I love Giada. She is very pretty, and I like her Italian flare. :)
Now, if only I could go figure out my little illogical children. ;)
Katie,
No-no, it didn't work at all.
Candice had to jump in and came back soaked.
She had her floatie on for the rest of the day.
I agree that it's a tough call on many decisions, but we loved hearing about the cd and discussing it.
Giada is beautiiiiiffuuuulll, but a little on the short side.
She's itty-bitty, but beautiful.
Well, Katie we're all trying to figure them out.
All of it. It's all so illogical.
Paula Deen!! That cracks me up...
Leslie,
I definitely remember pretending to be cartoon characters or what have you when we were little. Mary Kate and I would always fight about who got to be who. It seemed so important at the time, but now I feel just like Candice, if you're just pretending then why can't you pretend to be the same character. But it's like you said, there's no logic when it comes to children. You can't reason with them, they are by nature, unreasonable. But children are awfully cute, so that helps.
I do think we should read this Tiger Woman book for book club, and it seems like everyone else does too.
Should we just call the blog, "The Kitten Mothers Book Club." ? Or "The Tiger Readers Book Club". Would you like to hear the name of Annabelle's group for their Kindergarten stations? It's a good one, they are the "Pumpkin Dragons." It was around Halloween and the girls wanted to be Pumpkins and the boys wanted to be dragons, so the teacher suggested "Pumpkin Dragons" How would you like to be the pumpkin dragon book club?
Me and Kelly both want to be Paula Deen. I cook like her, and Kelly can do a great impersonation. When I am cooking Kelly will stand by me and say, "This recipe is low fat, only one stick of butter y'all" in Paula's voice of course. I love butter! I don't blame your girls. Paula rocks!
Also, I like Catherine's book club names. We could combine the two and be "Kitten Mother, Tiger Reader". Kind of has the same ring as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. But The Pumpkin Dragons is nice too. Whatever we call it, I am just excited to kick it off. Thanks for getting it all set up.
Okay in an effort to speed up the book club process I have started two blogs. One is
www.thewednesdayafternoonfineartsleague.blogspot.com
and the other is
www.ourbookclub.blogspot.com
Do you want to go with one of those just to get started? We can still name the blog something else, or we could leave it nameless, but once we have an address we should theoretically be able to get started.
Oh yeah, and don't bother looking at either of those blogs. I haven't done a thing to them yet. And they haven't anything to wear.
Post a Comment