CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, January 22, 2011

An Aunt Josephine Moment

Aunt Josephine and I are cut from the same cloth; she thinks there is almost nothing more important than good grammar, she doesn't want anyone to see pictures of herself that she doesn't like, and she has irrational fears. Many things cause her worry and she is always warning the children of lurking dangers. I understand Aunt Josephine's mode of thinking and think there is danger lurking with this dishwashing detergent.

Have you used this dishwashing detergent lately? Is this the kind you use? I know we were raised on Cascade and I feel a little disloyal using Finish, but I like Finish because it comes in individual packages and you don't have to deal with pouring too much powder from the box into the dispenser and making a mess on the dishwasher door. I prefer the powerball to the liquid packets because the packets sometimes stick together and even burst when you're trying to separate them. I know because I've ended up with blue gel all over my hands. Al, Mom's old handyman who was also my old handyman once said not to use liquid detergent because it gums up the inner workings of the dishwasher. So I didn't and don't unless my husband comes home with the gel packs instead of the powerball packs.

Well, this product has changed it's packaging. The powerballs now come in a plastic wrapper that look just like candy. They look like little Nestle crunch bars. Even Annie said they look like candy bars and worried about a little child eating them. Like mother, like daughter, and just like Aunt Josephine, because that was my exact thought. I called the 1- 800 # on the box to tell them my concern but their offices were closed. They are on my list for Monday. The point of all this is to serve as a warning so your kids won't try and eat them. But could you please buy some just so you can see that someone out there packaged dishwasher detergent to look like candy. There's only one person I can think of who would do such a thing. A man! I'm pretty sure Aunt Josephine would think so too.

5 comments:

Catherine said...

I loved your post. I'm a totaly Aunt Josephine, myself. I have to tell you though, that when I saw your post title I thought you meant Aunt Josephine from "Anne of Green Gables." And maybe you would write about two girls jumping on you in your bed in the middle of the night. I could even picture two girls who might even do that to you.

I don't use Finish, but I use Electrosol and I use the powerball, stuff too. I agree, I don't want anything to do with the powder, too messy. And I have to tell you that Paul has been telling me for years to never ever use liquid soap in the dishwasher because it will ruin the pump. I think Paul and Al would have been good friends.

And I can't believe that someone would package dishwashing detergent to look like candy! I want to buy it, but I'm too afraid someone here would eat it. Did you call them yet, today? How did it go? Are they going to send you a free sample of their candy soap as a thanks for your concern?

Leslie said...

I like the old Aunt Josephine, too but today it's the Aunt Josephine who lives by Lake Lachrymose.
I did call this morning, several times, and it was tough to get through. They have received many phonecalls about their detergent wrapped as candy. All concerns and phonecalls are recorded and forwarded to the packaging department. They assured me mine would be as well, and they took my phone # and address and will be contacting me at a later time after reviewing their packaging problem.
I told them I was worried someone might try to eat it, and when I showed it to Jordan he thought little kids would eat it too.
They didn't offer free samples but I did tell them I've used their product for years and have always been very happy with it. "Thank you," was all they said.
I think Al knew what he was talking about and I only try to use powder, not liquid.
And yes, I think he and Paul would have been great friends. I think Paul could fix anything and he should open his own repair business.
You could schedule all of his appointments!

Seth and Julie said...

I have to admit that I have an unnatural obsession with cleaning products and their smells. I would probably be tempted to take a taste if it came wrapped as candy. When Alyssa was 2 she pulled the bouillon cubes out of the cupboard and thought they were candy. We are so mean, but we watched her sneak one open and pop it in her mouth and then laughed so hard at the face she made. The point is, kids could definitely get confused, but I do hope they would spit it out after it hit their taste buds.

Oh, and I must drive you nuts because my grammar, and punctuation especially, is all over the map. Sorry!

Leslie said...

Julie,
No not at all. It doesn't bother me one bit. It is just something that is directed only at me. Noone else. It's something funny I do, and everyone recognized me in Aunt Josephine because of it. No worries. I love your blog and everything you write, and think you could easily be a published writer. I am never careful in my emails and have so many .......'s and dashes that I'm lucky people can make sense of them.

Don't you love to see what kids will do with trying and tasting something? I remember eating unsweetened chocolate when I was little. I was certain it would be good so my mom let me taste it.
But boullion cubes. That amazes me she wanted to try it, but I am sure it was funny. I would have stood back watching, too.

Katie and Mark said...

LOL Funny post, and now I am terribly worried I may have messed up my dish washer with those dumb gel packs-the ones you are talking about that stick together! Ugh! It drives me nuts. I am going to buy your kind the next time I'm at Target, and I will see if mine are wrapped like candy. If they are, I will have to keep them way up high so my kids won't eat them.