Heidi called me last night and told me to post something. Anything.
I've been postless for weeks now but since we're the kind of sisters who like to share everything and who love to love the same things, I thought I would write about two recipes I love.
I think Erin is going to post about the pasta, but I thought I'd post about it too since I keep eating it. I'm dying for everyone to try it, eat it and love it.
Erin is the creative cook who will think up a recipe, make it, and move on to think up a hundred other new recipes. But, I will make that recipe again and again a million times trying to get it exactly how I want it. So, I started with Erin and Catherine's marinara recipe, but it was too tomato-ey for me. I've been working on it for a few weeks, and finally got it exactly the way I want it. I haven't eaten marinara in years and have always said, "I don't like marinara," but now I love it. So, here it is.
MY FAVORITE MARINARA IN THE WORLD
2 TBSP. olive oil
2 TBSP. butter
Heat this in a large pot and don't let it burn.
Place 4 - 14. 0z. cans of Hunt's, garlic, basil and orregano diced tomatoes in the blender.
Add this to the olive oil and butter.
Add 2 tsp. garlic powder, 2 tsp. orregano, 2 tsp. basil, 2 tsp. red pepper, and 2 TBSP. sugar
Heat it all up and let it simmer. Make sure you have good bread on hand so you can dip your bread in the marinara and eat that while you finish the rest of the recipe because it's that good.
Boil a box of penne.
Bechamel Sauce
Add 5 TBSP. butter, and 4 TBSP. flour to a saucepan. Add 4 C. of whipping cream because it is so much better than half and half or milk, but you can use those too if you don't want to get bigger. Let that cook, and watch it carefully as it thickens. Add 1 tsp. salt and a dash or two of nutmeg.
That's it. It's so easy and so delicious. You don't even have to bake it.
Place penne on a plate, cover with marinara, pour the bechamel sauce on top, and sprinkle with parmesan.
I love it, eat it twice a week, and hope you'll love it, too.
And now for The Hot Fudge. My visiting teacher makes me hot fudge every year, and it is DELICIOUS! This year I finally begged her to please let me have the recipe. I sent her emails pleading, and didn't hear a word. I finally told her this week that I realized it must be an ancient Chinese secret and that I wouldn't bother her ever again for it.
When we ran out of hers, I made 3 other kinds of hot fudge (Lori Longbotham's-Luscious Chocolate Desserts, Dorie Greenspan's and Martha Stewart's) that have been good, but not as good as my visiting teacher's. Even my kids have said her hot fudge was better.
She sent me the recipe last night. So, I hope everyone will make this too, and love it so we can all love the same things.
Grandma's Hot Fudge (Laura Wilson's mother's recipe)
2 c. sugar
1/4 c. cocoa
1/4 c. flour
Place in saucepan. Mix well, and make sure all lumps are out of the cocoa before you go on.
Add 1 large can of evaporated milk, slowly.
Boil 6 min. and add 1 cube of butter cut in small pieces during the last minute of boiling.
Turn the heat off and add 1 tsp. vanilla.
Refrigerate and reheat before serving.
Please someone make it as fast as you can, so I can find out if you love it as much as me.
Blog Archive
My Blog List
-
-
-
-
-
Let's Watch Conference12 years ago
-
-
-
Wise Men Still Seek Him13 years ago
-
-
-
-
Excited for YOSEMITE!!!!!!!!15 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
My Blog List
My Blog List
Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, January 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"Propriety: noun: conformity to established standards of behavior or manner, suitability, rightness or justice. See "etiquette."
-Burnsie-
Popular Posts
-
If you haven't watched this movie could you please go straight to a Red Box, find it and watch it. It was ridiculous & absurd and I...
-
Here she is. Here is The Littles new dog. They wanted one so much that we gave in and let them have one. Doesn't she look like Girlie?...
-
I have a funny story about this movie, or should I say a frustrating story. For weeks I'd wanted to see this movie, but it never worked...
-
All right, Sisters of The Yah-Yah Club, Where are all the comments? We need to get our Quilting Bee going again. Obviously, we need better ...
-
Remember how in Meet Me In St Louis Tootie says she's so lucky to be born in her favorite city. Well, that's how I feel about Fall. ...
-
These are my latest addiction. They come in a bright, red bag. I usually eat the cheddar kind in the yellow bag, but when Erin was down sh...
-
The Littles went back to school today, and were happy to return. Actually, Erin Leigh was happy and Annie Laurie was semi-happy. That's ...
-
Is everyone ready or frantically getting ready for our trip? I'm so excited to go and am looking forward to being all together. I can ha...
-
I received my legal and signed document today from my ear surgeon. I have been officially excused from jury duty for the rest of my life du...
-
Just in case anyone had any doubt, which I doubt that anyone did, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is officially my new Magnificent Obsession. ...



9 comments:
Hooray! Now I will cut and paste your pasta and always have it, instead of dragging around that crumpled piece of paper that I scribbled it on. I'll try that hot fudge too, although I may have already used that recipe or at least something very similar from our Ward Cookbook years ago. I'll betcha mom will try it tonight. I'm down to my last cube of butter. Frightening, considering I honestly bought about ten pounds in December.
And one more thing:I can vouch for Leslie's new and improved pasta. "Dee-Rish-Us," as Sammy used to say.
I have a file folder full of crumpled pieces of paper with recipes scribbled on them.
Mom gave me a recipe for rolls yesterday and it floated all over the house and in my back packet on a crumpled 3x5 notecard.
Doesn't it make you nervous to almost run out of butter? It makes me nervous to almost run out of anything. If I have 2 lbs. of butter in the fridge Mike can't understand why we're buying more.
There's a daily Thanksgiving fear of running out of butter, so you have to always make sure there's plenty.
What do you think of this hot fudge recipe? Is it really from a ward cookbook? I made the other recipes but I thought this one was better. It tasted better....sweeter...and I always want sweeter.
Please post the pasta on your blog because I can't do pictures or anything. My other computer isn't even hooked up.
I thought this recipe was so good.
All I did was add a few more spices and sugar to it, but thank you for sharing it with me. It's become one of our favorites.
Thank you for sharing all your recipes with all of us, Erin.
You have improved all of our cooking.
And I love Sammy's "Dee-rish-us," line. He had some really good ones. "I crinkled the money." And,
I love "Cocoa Jacks." Michelle should make us a list of Sammy's best lines.
Your pasta sounds delicious. I like the idea of skipping the baking part, but I'm such a sucker for baked pasta with melted cheese on top.
I love that your VT brings you hot fudge sauce. MK and I were just talking about how you would be ashamed of us because we don't bring treats every time we go visiting teaching. (I think MK brings treats more often than I do though.) Anyway I like the idea of taking hot fudge. I could even make it the night before. Thanks for sharing.
Catte Woman,
It is delicious. I can't even make it to the baking stage. I think it's delicious right off the stove.
I did my Visitng Teaching on Tuesday and it was the first time in my life that I didn't bring a thing. Not even the message. All I did was show up.
I apologized for it a million times, but I told them I'm in the middle of too much upheaval and next month I would be back to usual.
I don't always bring something I've made either. I just try and grab something I think they might like to have like a magazine or a candy bar, or anything.
I don't like to show up empty handed but this month I didn't care.
I hope somebody will try the hot fudge because I loved it and it really is a great VT gift.
thank you!
Heidi,
Mare said you have the greatest cream sauce recipe with sausage.
She said it's delicious.
Can you tell us what it is.
Can you post something, too.
I meant to tell you that when you asked me to post something.
I wish you'd write something everyday.
Oh my oh my.....Your post made me starving!!! I am craving some warm bread dipped in some of your delicious Marinara Sauce. Mmmmm...It sounds SO good. I think we will make it for dinner tomorrow.
And, I am really glad to see you up and posting! :)
This post is making me hungrier than watching food network. If I am watching that delicious TV channel than I must be eating something at the same time. Just like whenever I watch Biggest Loser I'm regretting whatever I just ate and vowing to run later. I can't wait to try these recipes. They sound wonderful. Thanks Leslie.
Sorry this is short but my regular computer has a virus so I am working with a very ancient and difficult computer. I can't stand IT!
Post a Comment