CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 21, 2010

500 Days of Summer

I saw this movie a few months ago and loved it. The narrator warns you in the very beginning that this is not a love story. There isn't a Hollywood ending for this couple, but it's still a fun, sad, interesting movie and it's full of good music. We got the soundtrack for Christmas and
have been listening to it throughout January.
I put a few of the songs on the blog so that you can listen to them. All of my girls are in love with Tom Hansen (Joseph Gordon-Leavit), and Zoe Deschanel is her usual adorable, kooky self. She is also frustrating. You'll wish she was better, kinder, happier, and more honest in the movie, which is also what most people wish, want, and hope for from people in real life.
This couple is so cute together that it's devastating when she breaks up with him. Then we get to witness his despair and despair with him.
The movie ends with a clever line and at least we walk away knowing Tom will be happy. But, we also walk away wondering what in the world was wrong with Summer.
Something.

8 comments:

Leslie said...

Anyone, anyone?
Has anyone seen this, want to see this, or even heard about it?

Prudy said...

Hi Les,
We talked about this movie and I read about it and I'd really like to see it, but it never came out here at the movies that I was aware of. Pardon the marathon sentence ending in preposition. Now it's out at the dollar movies, all of the sudden just like that. I'm dying to go. I might just sneak away alone on a Saturday night, if I can get away with it. ON another note, I'm reading a book that I think you would love. It's called The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. She reminded me of you because she loves to do research on the brain. If she has a question, she reads everything she can on a subject. She approached happiness as something attainable and set about researching and implementing all of her findings. She's imperfect and funny but also very insightful. Can you read it so we can talk? She breaks her goals and ideas down into months of the year, and I've only read till March, since I just got it at the library yesterday. Besides, I'm not supposed to be reading since I have over 100 papers to grade, no lie.
Anyway, I'd better run. I'm still doing my Sat. chores and can't bear to grade papers or read for pleasure with a messy house. E

Katie and Mark said...

I heard that movie was great. I know Cammy saw it, and she really liked it. It is on my Netflix list, and after reading your review-I think I will go move it to spot #1 on list so it will come faster! :)

Leslie said...

Hi Erin,
I know this movie came out a few months ago, but we've been listening to the music. It's a good soundtrack.
I know the book you recommended.
I recently read about it in a Science or Psychology magazine I have. I thought I should read it and that's as far as I got, but I will try and get my hands on a copy so we can talk about it.
100 papers to grade! Oh, Erin that sounds like homework.
I can't do ANYTHING unless my chores are done, and I always have so many.
Did you get to read Noah's Compass?
I hope you did. Can we discuss that when you get a chance?
Her books are so easy to read. I'ts as if you're thinking, and you just glide through it. That is until you fall asleep with it clunking it on your head.
I'll try to get a copy of The Happiness Project this week.
Thanks for telling me about it.
I hope you're having a good weekend.
I'm sitting here typing away and eating a Hot Fudgeeeeeeyyyyyy Sundae.....which is really dangerous, but I'm not going to think about it until February.
I have a new tradition, by the way.
It's to Take January Off!
It's going to be my new Favorite holiday! And it lasts a whole month long.

Leslie said...

Hi Katie,
I'm so glad you're moving your movie up to #1 on your Netflix list.
Listen to this, this so awful, I have somehow lost the two Netflix movies I had in the move!
Don't things always get lost never to be seen ever again when you move?
Here is something else terrible but it turned out OK today.
I lost my favorite ring. It's a Tiffany's ring and last week I looked down and it was off of my hand. I felt like crying, and it brought me completely down because I knew I couldn't replace it.
For a week I searched everywhere and kept opening my drawer thinking it was magically going to appear.
Today while I was doing laundry, I bent down to pick up a sock, and there it was on the floor in the laundry room under the sink cupboard. I was so happy I gasped aloud and the kids came running!
I'm hoping the same thing will happen with The Netflix movies, and that it will suddenly appear and astonish me!
I wish I had known Cammy saw the movie so we could have talked about it for 2 whole hours at Chuck E. Cheese!
Have you seen Avatar? Your mom saw it and loved it. I'm probably one of the few people in the world who hasn't seen it. Everyone says I would hate it!
I meant to tell you when I read your blog that I love that you're raising your kids on basketball.
It's such a Renouf Tradition. I know it's Mark's tradition, too, but I love that you're a basketball family.

Fantastic Mr. R said...

only have 14 seconds...but will order movie..and wanted to say
as a professional gypsy I have lost tons of netflix movies...you tell them, and they bill you 20, then if you find it in a year, and send back, they will refund your 20....I thought that was pretty forgiving. One of the movies I lost was called the vanishing woman.
It cracks me up that it 'vanished'...also I have lost a few max and ruby shows, too, for which I will claim no blame.
good luck.
time is up.
h

Leslie said...

Dear professional Gypsy,
I love that your vanishing movie was The Vanishing Woman.
What a relief that they only bill you $20. Blockbuster used to charge $50 some odd dollars for a lost movie.
Thanks for letting me know.
Set the timer again so you can join the comment club.

Prudy said...

I just wanted to tell you that we are having your pasta for dinner tonight. And also, I haven't read Noah's Compass yet. I am fourth in line at the library. I'm not sure I can wait that long. I have $43 at Barnes and Noble, by way of a refund, that should be coming in the mail. When it comes, we will head over to B and N for an evening of book picks, and that's what I want.