CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, December 14, 2009

And So It Begins

My inquiring mind wanted to know all about Julie so I asked for an Ask Julie Day.
I asked a dozen questions, and loved reading her answers, but now the inquisitive spotlight has been turned toward me. Before I answer her questions, though, I feel I MUST respond to some of the answers. So here are a few questions I asked Julie and those answers, along with my response to those answers.


Leslie asked: Did your mother ever tell you I told her I was going to shoot her tongue off? (I was little.)


My mom read this comment and called to claim that you have your facts twisted. She said you told that to a woman named Lou who was friends with your parents. She said you also told poor Lou that she was staying too long and to go home during a visiting teaching appointment. Whether you said this to my mom or to dear old Lou, my mom does have a tendency to carry on and it wouldn't hurt for someone to tell her to bite her tongue, or shoot it off if you'd rather.

Is Aunt Susie losing her mind? This was one of my Stand out-Stand off moments with her, as well as a classic moment from my childhood. Someone jog her memory!
I said something else entirely different but equally offensive to Lou Price. Poor Sister Price. I always preferred Wilford to her, and everyone knew it. Do you even know who Wilford and Lou Price were?

The Price's lived around the corner from my parent's first home on Hornell Street. They were so kind to my mother and parents when they were new members of the church. I think they even took my Mom, and Laurie&Lisa to Disneyland. They came over and asked my Mom to go, and she said sure and went. That's how nice they were.

I remember they had a big field of corn where they lived and Wilford used to carry me on his shoulders through it. I also remember exactly what I said to Lou Price. I remember staring at her. She had big, white hair and I was staring hard at her, her face, and her hair. And finally I had to say something, and this was it. I said, "Lou Price, why don't you go home. I'm tired of looking at your face."

Isn't that awful? What a terrible thing to say, and I said it. I have no idea how old I was, but I am certain I was little and didn't know any better because that is a far more preferable thing to think than thinking and knowing that I was nothing more than a little brat. What I really know is that this is only further proof that I've always spoken my mind and been highly opinionated.
But there is a redemptive aspect to this story. My girls, Holly and Mallory made it all up to Sister Price for me because they LOVED her.

When my girls were little my mom used to take them with her to visit Lou. Lou taught them how to play Skip-B0. The both of them loved this game and going to see her. Holly and Mallory also taught Annie Laurie and Erin Leigh how to play Skip-Bo, too and have told them all of their stories and memories about Sister Price. When Mallory learned that Lou Price had died she was devastated, and in her honor, memory and devotion, Mallory has never played a game of Skip-Bo since. It was their game.

Just so no one thinks I am still a mean little girl (who had a little curl), I have just gotten up to cram Kleenex in my eyes because my eyes are full of tears just thinking about Sister Price and how nice she was to my girls, my mother, our family and to me.

As an adult I always loved to see Wilford and Lou at church. We were in different wards so when we did see each other we were always so happy. Every time I saw them they told me how much they loved Mom and Dad. They were so kind to each one of us in our family because they loved our parents.

A few years ago, my Dad took me with him to visit Sister Price. I sat on her couch, and looked at her pictures and held back tears as I listened to her, knowing that it could be the last time I would ever see her or be in her home again.
It turned out that it was.

This post was suppose to be about Aunt Susie, but Aunt Susie made me think of Sister Price, and now it's making me cry. So, tomorrow I will return to convincing Susie that not only did I say something mean to Sister Price, but that I said something mean to her, too.

11 comments:

Seth and Julie said...

Hilarious! Horrible, but hilarious. Especialy because I know your mom and I imagine she must have wanted to crawl under a rock. She would certainly never have said such a thing.

I love the things that kids say. Valerie had lots of those "yeah, I said that, deal with it" moments. Even I had a few. I feel terrible for anyone who crossed my path from the ages of 16-21. My tongue had a mind of it's own during those years. Don't worry, I have since reigned it in.

Anyhow, I love this story and I am loving the opportunity to see who Leslie is, beyond the Belle with her face in a book image.

Can't wait for the rest.

Leslie said...

I just commented and lost it!
Maddening!

Hilarious and horrible is right.
My poor mother.
My own kids have had a few choice things to say to people when they were little, but luckily, I usually saw it coming.
It's nice to know that we all learn to rein it in.
As for Belle, well, I laughed at the Disney references because Laurie's grandkids all think I look like the Little Mermaid.
I think it's the hair.
Anyway, I'm glad you're reading along and interested in my long winded-side tracked answers.

Prudy said...

Hi, it's me. I've already read your post twice; the first time I didn't have time to leave a comment. The second time, just because I liked the first time so well. I wish I could have known you when you were little. I knew you, but I was too busy being daft to know you. I would have liked hearing you say all those bold and rough comments. Do you have enough kleenex for your cry today, or do you have to use Sacrament programs to cram in your eye? I didn't know that about your kids and Lou. My kids know all about Wilford and Lou...well frankly, because of the sheep. How would you like it if the neighbors named their pets Old Les and Mike? Well, anyway, I hope your lesson went well yesterday. I'd call but I'm trapped under something heavy called work. I've been offered more classes for spring, more classes for summer so I am hard at work on syllabi. Also, it's Christmas, did you now? So I'm trying to keep up with all of the loveliness and burning the candle at both ends. Tomorrow a lady in my ward wants to learn to make tamales. Right in the middle of the school day, which means I'll probably be teaching my kids until ten at night, since I have to go and teach tomorrow at the college also. Tamales can throw a delicious wrench in your plans, but I shan't complain. Anyway again, keep answering and I'll keep reading. I liked your sweet, nostalgic tangent today.

Leslie said...

Julie's going to realize what a big-giant-baby I am. You already know this about me, and made me a book mark to prove it with a cartoon of me crying.
I wish we would have paid more attention to each other when we were little. I wish I had realized how funnier you were earlier in life. I don't know why you didn't tell me.
Erin, everyone is after you and your time. Your Bishop, the school, the tamale lady. You better hide, or put a big cross on the bed, or something on your front door to symbolize you want to be passed over.
Was that irreverent? I didn't mean it to be. It was suppose to be funny, with a Seems like Old Times and 10 commandments reference.
This is why I should stick to Nostalgia.
And no I would not dirty farm animals named after me. (Jordan talked to Erin Leigh today about wanting to catch that duck at the rodeo! That is one of my favorite times with you, Erin. I loved it when we ate those horrible brownies.) But, Wilford and Loulabelle were the perfect names for our sheep.
Our animals had some great names, don't you think?
Crosby, Boo Radley, and Wilford & Loulabelle. Well, at least we honored that which we loved.
Well, good luck with the tamales, teaching and candle burning.
I am so glad my lesson is over.
I had a terrible dream about it he morning I had to teach and told the RS all about it.
Thankfully, they were all laughing, and I even got a nice phone call from someone today about the lesson. Shauna called me today, too and told me I am always so entertaining which I know is code for unusual and amusing.
Thank you for reading my tangent today.....I am sure there will be more.

Prudy said...

Oh, I'm glad your lesson went well. I like people that are unusual and amusing-no euphemisms needed. Don't go changin'; I love you just the way you are.
We did have good names for our pets. I have always loved to name things. I should get a big fish tank full of gold fish to name. I could use up all those baby names I've been writing on sacrament programs for the last three decades.
I need your idea for a passover symbol. Maybe it could be one of those melting clocks from Dali's paintings. Have a great day. Will there be an installment number two today? Here's hoping yes.

Seth and Julie said...

Just checking in for the next installment. Feel free to get a restraining order if you are feeling uncomfortable.

Do you remember that your dog Crosby was once our dog, Buffy? We always ended up having to find new homes for our pets because none of us liked them. The only reason my mom has kept her current dogs for so long is because they are so awful that not even a kind and charitable family member is willing to take them.

I had a cat named Boo Radley in college. If anyone came over she would hide behind the fridge for 3 days. Perfect name.

Catherine said...

I loved this post. I didn't know the Prices that well. I knew that our family loved them so I did too. But I guess Mom was too busy for socializing by the time I came around.

That's a crack up that Mal won't play Skip Bo anymore. Very sweet, but funny too.

And you Lou Price story definitely reminded me of Miss Mallory. I wonder if a certain Young Woman was able to get over Mallory's mouth. Do you ever wonder if she's forgotten or is she carries it with her. I'm always kind of curious.

Leslie said...

Julie,
I know I'm late, but this could take me a little while.
It's the last week of school before vacation which mean they cram everything possible into that week.
Mike has a few days off, as well, so I have to pay attention to him, too.

I had completely forgotten Crosby was originally yours!!!
That is so funny. Didn't Lisa come and get him?
I remember this long forgotten fact.
Buffy! As soon as I read it I remembered!
That is so funny you named your cat Boo Radley.I named the horse Boo because we got it my freshman year and everyone reads To Kill A Mockingbird their freshman year. He had another name, but everyone ended up calling him Boo.
He was kind of a wild animal, but all our animals were. It was pure animal farm and I'm amazed they didn't revolt. Actually, some of them did.
Anyway, you know what they say about great minds.

Leslie said...

Catte Woman,
I know exactly what you're referring to.
Poor Katie Glancy!
I saw it coming. I was watching, and luckily, so luckily,
I was ready for it!
That one was particularly awful. I hope she (Katie) doesn't remember it all. I hope she has selective amnesia and obliterated it from her memory bank.
Amnesia is the best course for those kinds of terrible moments.


Isn't that cute about Mal? She always asked about Lou when we moved here because she didn't get to see her. Both of the girls loved Grandma's friend!
So, I like to think they redeemed me in the end.

MK and Co. said...

I remember when Miss Mallory said that in Laurel class. I did not see it coming because I was fascinated by watching you Leslie. I can still vividly remember watching you start to look a little panicky at Mallory, then quickly glance at Katie, and then glance at the note cards you were holding and try to ummmm, to ummm, to get back to your lesson. It was too funny.

Leslie said...

I am laughing that you were busy watching me, watching what was coming.
I KNEW something was coming and I knew it was going to be awful, and it was!
I'm so glad you were there to witness the whole thing.