CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

And So It Continues

I think that I may have to call out the troops for this one.
If Aunt Susie can't remember me telling her I was going to shoot her tongue off, maybe Laurie&Lisa will. I tried to call Laurie today to verify my facts, but she's busy working so I will have to wait for her to return my call. Until then, I thought I would share a few memories I have of Susie.

Aunt Susie used to come over and babysit us sometimes, or at least that's how I remember it. She came over one summer, I think, when Mom was attending Education week at church. Mom got us a new slip in slide and we got to have Ding Dongs while she was gone. I remember Aunt Susie telling me to, "Cool It, Leslie, "and I have always said this to my kids and still do because it reminds me of her. I can even imitate exactly how she used to say it to me. I thought it was funny then and I think it's funny now.

Aunt Susie also came over to watch us when Roy was born, or maybe she just came with Grandma. I remember she was there and it was also my birthday. Susie asked me many times if I wanted to bring cookies or cupcakes or something for my class and I remember telling her no but not telling her why. This I clearly remember; I wouldn't let her do it because I wanted my mother to, but when mom came home I told her Susie wouldn't do it. Poor Susie.

Laurie&Lisa and I spent the night at Grandma's house a few times while Aunt Susie was still at home. I used to get to look at all her records on the floor in the front room. I remember looking at Beatle records, Abbey Road in particular with Paul walking across the street bare foot. Lisa and I used to play Come Together over and over again because I liked it, and I always thought for some reason that they were saying, "shoot the banana." Clearly, the mind is a mysterious thing.
I also remember looking at the inside of the first Crosby, Stills & Nash album. There was a picture of David, Steven, and Graham wearing parkas in the cold. I remember staring at this picture and think this is when the obsession with CSN began. I remember Susie and Billy listening to them as well, and I want to say hearing them listening to them in Yosemite. Somehow, CSN, Susie& Billy and Yosemite are all inexplicably linked together in my mind, along with Lisa who also loved CSN. But, I like to think it started with Susie.

I feel that I must warn everyone that I feel a new tangent coming on, so get ready.
I love records and I miss records. I loved looking at record covers, and I loved that they were so big, especially when I was so little. Cd's are too small. I open Cd's today and look at the Cd covers but it is not the same as spreading records out all over the floor and studying them.

Mrs. Globerman sat with me on the floor once and spread all her records out for me to see because I wanted to. Alayna's mom let me look at all her records, too. So did The Bryant's who
I used to babysit for and and so did Becky Gottes who I babysat for sometimes. I always wanted to see everyone's record collection. Everyone was nice about sharing their records with me and letting me play and borrow their records, too. My friends, however got sick of me hanging out with and talking to their mom's when I was suppose to be hanging out with them.
But, I was always interested in the mom's and what they liked, what they were up to, how they did things, what they made for dinner, and what kind of detergent they used. But, I will save that for another day.

I know a lot of good aunts who have had to put up with many headstrong little nieces and headstrong little nephews. I can think of about seven or eight of them right now. Luckily, the aunts are older and wiser than the nieces and nephews who know everything. And the aunts have somehow managed to look upon them mildly and with humor. Aunt Susie is one of them.
But, think about how poor Dad must have felt. At two years old I was already telling him, "I'm the boss." It was one of the first things I learned how to say.

8 comments:

Seth and Julie said...

I am not surprised my mom was feeding you junk food while your mom was out.

I can also hear her saying "Cool It", although Nonnie is the one I remember saying "Cool It" to me. I remember my mom telling me stuff like, "I will beat you within an inch of your life." I guess you can be more harsh with your own babies. I would have welcomed "cool it".

It was fun to hear your memories of my mom, since my memories of her do not go back far enough to when she was not my mom, obviously. It is fun to think of her as your teenaged aunt. I always thought CSN was a group that Glenn liked. I never knew my mom liked them first.

I am glad you remember her fondly, and I think you made the right call with the cupcakes. She's not much of a cook.

Hee,hee! Love you mom!

Susie said...

I do have some vague memory of you wanting to shoot me in the tongue and I remember you telling Lou to go home because you were tired of her face (my personal favorite). I think you may have threatened us both. I thought you were the cutest, most clever child I had ever known and (at the uninformed age of say 16) I hoped to have a child just like you. Be careful what you wish for.

Leslie said...

Aunt Susie,
You joined in. Hurray!
What a nice thing to say about a precocious little monster.
I'm so glad you found me amusing.
I don't know who I thought I was but I have to admit, that even today, when I do something slightly outrageous or highly opinionated, I internally think,
"Who do you think you are?"
I guess I'm really just that same little kid who said what she was thinking.
I have so many good memories of you, and of you and Billy when I was young. I even remember spending the night at your house when it was just the two of you and your big red dog, Duffy.
I'm so glad you joined in today. We're having a great time getting to know Julie better. I loved your comment on her blog today, too, and on mine, too.
I laughed that you said you wished for a child just like me at the uninformed age of 16! So funny.
Just know I that I ended up with one just like me, and her aunts found her enormously amusing, too.
Thanks Again, Aunt Susie. I love that you joined in.

Leslie said...

Julie,
I didn't know," Cool it" started with Grandma.
I thought it was your Mom's line. Nice to know we've got a generational saying going here.

I loved your Mom as a teenaged Aunt. Once your Dad came in the picture I followed them everywhere, and they let me.

Your Mom and Dad both liked CSN. Lisa and I got into them because of them. I recently went to see them in September, too. Their music reminds me of
your parents, and Yosemite and so many things, but I guess I already said that.

Eventually I'll get to the rest of the questions, but at the rate I'm going it could take me a while.

Katie and Mark said...

I think I also know a couple of those GOOD Aunts who were so nice to even the the naughtiest of nieces! ;) Nit me if course.....LOL

Leslie said...

"When we get to the lake, Katie's gonna get a big-fat spank!"
Bahahahahahah!
I love you Katie. You were a great little niece, and you still are!

Anonymous said...

This is a cool post about my mom. It reminds me of Kristen and Luke now, she is the cool young aunt to him and he calls her his "best friend."

By the way, I could read your blog all day just to hear your playlist (love it). Don't get me wrong, I love the writing as well!

Leslie said...

Val, I'm glad you enjoyed the post about your mom, and the music, too.
And, don't worry, I know I'm longwinded. I always have a lot to say.
haha