CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, October 17, 2009

A Smoke and a Joke

On Thursday Annie Laurie had an optometrist appointment because her vision is alarmingly poor. Before the actual exam, the assistant asked Annie a few questions about her health. She asked about her vision, if she had any health problems, if she had heart trouble, and if she had diabetes. Then she came to the question about smoking. The assistant said, "I'm not even going to ask you if you smoke because I already know you don't." And Annie Laurie, not missing a beat, said, "Actually, I do. I'm a smoker." Then we all burst out laughing.

Amazingly enough, that same night, Paper Moon was on TV. The Littles thought it was shocking and hilarious that Tatum O'Neill smoked in the movie, and Annie said it looked like she'd been smoking her whole life. Then Jordan came home and saw the movie and said, "Is this the movie where that little girl smokes?"

When Jordan was in 4th grade his class had to write a letter to their parents for Back To School Night. At the end of Jordan's letter he had drawn an arrow directing us to turn the letter over. On the back it said, "Does your mother know you smoke?" I wrote back that yes she does.
Mother is well aware that I enjoy smoking, a clean, white crayon.

If you've never smoked, won't smoke, and will never smoke, then smoking is funny. Otherwise, it's not. But on Thursday, when Annie said she was a smoker, it was. We did, after that however, have to have a talk about never smoking, and that in our family smoking means only one thing: A joke, a good joke.

7 comments:

Leslie said...

Anybody got a match?

Leslie said...

Also, don't you remember this movie from when we were young?
She looked just like Michelle.

Remember the little picture Mom and Dad had of the little blonde girl with red and white sneakers? That looked like Michelle, too. I think Lisa even bought and sent the picture to Michelle a few years ago.

Well, I guess I'll go now. It's time for my cigarette break.

Cigars, cigarettes......crayons?

Leslie said...

I have to give attribution and correct credit where it is due.
Mary Kate called me this morning and the first thing she said to me was, "Got a light?"

I thought match sounded better, so I switched it, but it was her line this morning and it made me laugh.

Maybe I should think about going back into the newspaper business. I could be the Editor and write all the letters to the Editor, too.

Catherine said...

I don't have a light or a match. I don't even have 2 hands, but I loved that story about Annie! What a nut! did you give her a birhday candle when you got home. I laughed that you had to have a serious talk abour smoking after that! Haha!

MK and Co. said...

I like got a match better too. Thanks for giving me credit for my brilliant line. Annie cracks me up. She is so funny and it kinds of catches me off guard too. I guess I'm not expecting someone her age to be so quick witted and clever. I remember her making me laugh in St. George with some of her comments. Okay I've got to do dishes. Blah! That sounds just as boring as it is.

Prudy said...

What a great post! That Annie got Mike's deadpan, didn't she? I'm glad to know that the next generation remains 100 percent dedicated to the notion of cancer free crayon smoking. I hope it still makes it into your book. How's that coming, by the way? Hurry up and get rich and famous. I need to borrow some money.:)

Babs Renouf said...

I am glad that smoking is a joke, as I begin each morning hacking away and trying to catch my breath. Don't ever start, your breath is everything, without it, you are gasping and choking. And besides it interrupts all the funny things that one likes to say. Keep your airways clean and everyone elses' too. Love Grandma Babs