CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

What More Can They Do To Me?

In the immortal words of Miss Eunice Burns, I must ask, "What more can they do to me?" Actually, I shouldn't tempt fate and ask such a thing. There's always more they can do to you. And things can always be worse. Although, I can hardly stand it when people tell you that. I always think, 'Well, yes, it can, but can't it also be better? Really Better?'
Maybe the secret is this: It can only be what it is, and then you hold your breath, light a candle, say a prayer, and put a big cross on the bed, (if you're Catholic, or have Catholic DNA that occasionally reveals itself) and pray that it won't be any worse.

The point of all this is that everyone went to Disneyland today without me. In the words of
The Most Fun Loving sister of us all, "The Fun Must Go On." And on it did. But, being the kind- hearted, First Sister (Laurie prefers Sung Jin's term, First Sister to Oldest Sister) she is, she brought me a present, a big-icy soda, and visited me on her way out. Then we couldn't stop talking and laughing, and the only reason we did stop was because her husband called wondering where in the world she was.

So, even though I had to be practical and give up seeing Heidi, kids, cousins, siblings, and sisters, it turned out to be all right. And besides, I'm really not that much fun at Disneyland anymore. My favorite thing to do is sit in the sun, listen to the music, and read the newspaper.
And anyone knows I can do that at home. Anyone. Anyone, named Howard.





13 comments:

Leslie said...

I always love to start the comments. I'm all about commentary.
I am so glad Disneyland hasn't changed that sign, and left the original blue sign as it was when we were kids.

Even just seeing the blue sign, reminds me of Dad, and driving in the station wagon with all of us screaming with excitement when we finally saw the sign and realized where we were going.

Dad is so good at surprises! And, I love that we used to get up and get dressed for school, and then he'd take us to Disneyland.
So fun! Disneyland as a Kid, and Europe as an Adult. What a great Dad.
He really is!.

Leslie said...

Mom's not too shabby either.
(hahaha)
Mom, you're wonderful. We love you, you know that.
But, Dad is the leader, the more vocal of the two of you, and the one who rounds up the troop.

Catherine said...

What a nice first sister. I like first sister, too. Except for Mary has to be last sister! Haha. I love how you always start the commentary. "It's the most fun." I love what you said about light a candle, say a prayer, and put a cross on the door. I think you're right that things could always be better or worse. But I'm too afraid to ever say my situation could be better, because then I think it would probably get a whole lot WORSE! I don't want to tempt fate. (I did that once before with catastrophic - I like that big word - consequences. =D ) So I'll have to get in kahootz with my catholic DNA, now and light my candles, say my prayer, and put the cross on my door. Speaking of candles, I loved in "The Blessing of a Skinned Knee" how they light candles on the Shabbat for blessings and for blessings for their friends and families. I'm thinking of taking up some of these Jewish practices. Maybe somewhere in there, I've got some Jewish DNA. Mary (who shall from here on out be referred to as "last sister") has some you know.

Anyway, I'm sorry that you missed the Disneyland tram. But what a nice first sister. And I love the big blue sign too! And Mom and Dad, too!

Catherine said...

PS I left you a comment downstairs too, but it wasn't very funny. Sorry!

Leslie said...

I did miss The Disneyland Tram. Isn't that sad? I missed Churros, popcorn, and fluffy-pink and pretty cotton candy, too.

How is Judah DNA designated to one child and none of the others? Don't they remember what happened to Joseph? He wound up in a pit. Good thing we're full of sisters. Well, that DNA and Blessing DNA is tricky stuff!

I LOVE The Jewish Traditons, too. Laurie and I have been studying The Torah.
Perhaps we should do a melting pot blog, with Mormon, Catholic and Jewish traditions. When we do, I'll tell Mallory to wear her Rosary beads.

Leslie said...

Catherine,
Please take a picture in your pretty-tea party dress with Annabelle. I'll pay you.
Holly was so good about dressing up for tea parties, playing restaurant and waitress, doctor and patient, and library lady.
She kept folders, files, and message memo-receipts.
She was The Littles Best Playmate.

(Everyone's comments made me laugh, too. Laurie's Friday favorites were awful. What a poor little goat.)

Katie and Mark said...

So sad! I was thinking of them at Disneyland today too! And I live too far for anyone to bring me anything delicious! :) Maybe I can use that as an excuse to send Mark out for dessert.

Leslie said...

Oh, Katie, I'm so sorry.
Everyone wants to do fun things, and go fun places with your Mom because she's so much fun.

I hope Mark brings you something delicious for dessert. Tell him to get some popcorn and churros.

Lauriesconsult said...

OHHHHHHHHHH Hi Ho Hi Ho October is here ! This is how the story goes, didn't connect with Heidi but did run into Carolynne, Justus and Georgie celebrating news of their new baby- color-pink or blue its your guess. I don't feel right telling. But they all looked adorable what a cute family. Disneyland was all ready for October Eve and they just keeping getting it better and better. Couldn't ever find an ice vendor, ate nothing delicious but the new Evil Villians Fireworks Show-Music-Projections in the Sky-Fire-Smoke and all those awesome Halloween colored fireworks were an A Ticket all alone. We missed each and everyone of you but the fun goes on even without ice cream.

Leslie said...

Nothing? Not even ice cream?
Oh, that's so sad.

So funny you ran into Carolynne.......you said you would...you said you could.....run into Lisa, and you nearly did.

I should have been marching around Disneyland watching Evil Villain Fireworks and searching for ice to crunch on with you.

Next year. Next year better be really better.

Catherine said...

Your blog really is a party! I feel so sad for the poor little goat who had nothing to eat at the happiest place on earth. What a crack up that Laurie ran into Carolyne. My guess is that they're having a boy. I sent her an email to ask her, but I haven't heard back yet.

I will have to take a picture of me in my dress up dress. It really does feel like a child's dress up dress, because I just throw it on over my clothes. And Annabelle brings me necklaces and tiaras. I'll be sure and take a picture of our next tea party. I have a hunch we'll be having more and more tea parties, becase it's freezing up here!

I love the melting pot idea and Mallory will have to wear her rosary! I think that's so neat that you and Laurie are studying the Torah! I want to play!

I also love love love your idea of picking a day and having everyone blog about what they loved best about "The Blessing of a Skinned Knee." We could even announce the book and day on the Renouf Family blog. I think we should do this and pick a new book every month. It would be like Erin's baking club blogs, but we'll do books! I really think that we should run with this idea!

Catherine said...

Look at all these mile long comments I've been leaving! Is hypergraphia contageous?

Leslie said...

IS hypergraphia contagious?
It could be.
Actually, they think Van Gogh had it, (hypergraphic letters to brother), and W.Somerset Maugham, and Virginia Woolf, basically all the emotionally tortured writers/artists.
It has to do with the temporal lobes located behind the ears. It also has to do with communication and emotion.
It's fascinating stuff; a compulsion to write. If I ever became a real-true writer, then I can say that I have it. Until then, I like to pretend to have it.