


When Heidi lived by me we read The Godfather and Nora Ephron's book, I Feel Bad About My Neck, together and held our own personal book club. Last year Roy and I read Rip Van Winkle by Washington Irving together, and this year Laurie and I are reading everything together. Not only are we reading but we are laughing it up at Barnes& Noble, too. One of the employees was laughing with us and at us and even asked, "Who are you two?" We could barely sputter out, "We're nobody," because we were laughing so hard.We have studied The Torah, read up on sleep disorders and recently finished The Gift of A Skinned Knee. I thought I would post some of my favorite parts from these books, and think we should choose a book for The Blog Book Club.
#1The Godfather: I've written about Clemenza before. He is a lesser know character who loved his car, took good care of his car, and spent time sitting in his car. I love to sit in my car, too, and read. It's warm, it's comfortable, and I have pens, notecards, music and everything I need in my car. It's a pretty car and I have a sunroof, but I still miss Betty (little red convertible) . Now I have Snoopy. Tracy named my car. She said it looks like Snoopy, and it does. I love my car but Mallory is even more in love with my car than I am. She thinks it should be hers.
#2 I Feel Bad About My Neck: Nora Ephron has written an entire chapter on how much she hates her purse. "Everything you own is in your purse. You could flee the Cossacks with your purse. But when you open it up, you can't find a thing in it----your purse is just a big dark hole full of stuff that you spend hours fishing around for. A flashlight would help, but if you were to put it in your purse, you'd never find it."
I carry a purse like this. Everything is in it. It's really a security bag-carry on tote-suitcase-and tackle box all in one. It's full of fishing gear in case I go fishing.
#3 Rip Van Winkle: Roy and I had a great time reading this together and laughed and worried about how miserable in marriage Rip is to Dame Van Winkle. Rip referred to married life as being full of "domestic tribulation." Roy laughed at the line, "the yoke of matrimony" and we immediately pictured two-old-tired- oxen yoked together. We both liked the description of Rip: "Rip had a well oiled disposition and would rather starve on a penny than work for a pound." There was also a line about the terror of a woman's tongue and, something about how a sharp tongue is the only edged tool that grows keener with constant use. Roy and I wondered about Washington Irving after reading Rip Van Winkle, so I had to delve deeply into his life to find out if he endured the," yoke of matrimony" and "domestic tribulation". He didn't. He never married but wrote a glowing picture of married life in his story, The Wife. It was nice to know art wasn't imitating life. His own, anyway.
#4 The Gift Of A Skinned Knee by Wendy Vogel, Ph.D.
This is a thoughtful and practical book on child rearing. It uses Jewish Teachings to Raise Self-Reliant Children. I was sold on Jewish teachings the moment I read, "It is forbidden to partake of any food which we find revolting."
It discussed respecting children and their wants and needs. It also discussed gifts and giving as a way to say thank you, the importance of food rituals, different degrees of sins, and how to instill courtesy and respect in children. Some of the chapters include, The Blessing of Acceptance, The Blessing of Work, and The Blessing of Faith and Tradition.
Well, I've been reading on my own since Kindergarten, (or should I fudge and say since I was 3 years old to keep up with Sailor and maintain my dignity) but I love to have a reading buddy and buddies. So, let's figure out what we'll be reading and we'll read it together. Silently, of course, but in solidarity.



13 comments:
"Who are you two?"
I love that you two girls could hardley stop laughing to sputter out "we're nobody!" What kind of answer is that! You can't be nobody beacuse somebody said nobody.
Your blog book group sounds interesting, funny, insightful, and can I please be in it?
Okay I have to go because there really is no time girls but I will come back later to discuss your book choices beacause they all sound great and really quite funny.
Leslie, Leslie, LESLIE! I JUST FINISHED READING "I FEEL BAD ABOUT MY NECK" NOT MORE THAN FIVE MINUTES AGO! I called you to discuss it, but you weren't there and then I checked your blog and there it was! I loved the book and thought about you the whole time.
Because you remind me so much of Meg Ryan in "Sleepless in Seattle" and "You've got mail." But now you remind me so much of Nora Ephron. Or she reminds me of you, something like that. I loved the chapter on her purse. That is exactly the kind of purse/diaper bag that I carry too. My doctor (the down there doctor) made fun of me the last time I saw him, after Adelaide was born. And he asked me if I was heading back to St. George with it, right then and there.
Anyway, Leslie, you have to write. You are every bit as good as Nora Ephron. I can't wait for you to finish your novel so I can pour over it and laugh my head off.
Oh yes, I thought of you during the last chapter of "I feel bad about my neck" because up until then it had been pretty lighthearted but then she throws in that "morbidity" that you love, so that you can still be tormented when you finish reading. Haha! It made me think of you.
And I love love loved "The Blessing of a Skinned Knee" I'm so glad that you recommended it to me. It was excellent. I think everyone should read that book. It has made me rethink so many things!
Please, pick a book and tell us all to read it. I want to read with you and Laurie. I love what MK said, "You can't be nobody because somebody said nobody." You're not nobody! You are a writer! So tell us what to read next and let's all pick a day to post our favorite thing about the book.
Oh yes, another coincidence, I just checked out "The Wife" from the library on Friday! It's my next book. I must have Leslie on the brain.
Okay, so I have to go now, I have hair to do and children to entertain.
And incidentaly, I have left you a total of six comments because I started to leave my comment three times and I kept getting kicked off the internet and losing my comment. I hope you're not too disappointed when you see that you have 7 comments and find out the 6 of them are from one person! Haha!
I can't wait to discuss "I feel bad about my neck" with you.
Anyway I hope you're having a great day and if you're not, why don't you try to make it one? =D
Catte Woman,
We are in synch. I love it when that happens.
I had to get gas, run to the market, and go to the bank. All finished by 9:30 am. I have a thing about being places when they open.
Thanks for all the nice comments, too. I NEED to be a writer. I just have to figure out what to write about.
Last night Laurie and I were lauging and I told her the same thing. She told me to just hang up the phone and write about what we talked about.
I laughed at all your comments. I thought you just kept thinking of things after you got off the computer, so you'd come back and add more comments.
Nora Ephron is funny and her book was fun to read. I loved her purse chapter, and that was funny your Dr. asked if you were leaving for St. George right then and there.
My purse is my survival kit.
Dad laughed at me at Disneyland because I had everything in it, scissors, floss, bandaids, and my newspaper. Cammy saw me reading my paper at Disneyland and said, "Poor Aunt Leslie."
All right, I will comment some more later so it looks like I have a strong readership.
But,in the words of First Sister, "I hope you're havng a great day doing whatever it is you're not doing."
Mary,
There's no time, but I'm glad you take time to check in.
"We're nobody!" Isn't that funny?
We both said it, and then the employee told us we were funny and we said something about showing up to do sit down comedy instead of stand up because we're really not that funny but funny to each other.
Then we had a big discussion with her on sleep disorders and Narcosllleeeepppppy, and she laughed with us.
So many things happen that I could have about 5 posts a day.
All right, someones calling.
Please find the time to chop the chicken, tend the children, and continually comment.
I just had to add that I loved Nora Ephron's line about being able to flee the Cossacks with your purse. And of course the part about putting a flashlight in it, too.
A few weeks ago Mike and I went to dinner and the restaurant was so dark and dim that Mike told the waiter he needed a flashlight to read the menu. I'm think I need one. It could come in handy when it's dark and I'm running from the Cossacks or reading a menu.
I'd love to join you guys! I have been reading a lot again after my kids go to bed, and I am always looking for a good book to read. I have not read any of your suggestions so I will just hop aboard when you decide what to read! Just let me know, so I can squeeze in a trip to the bookstore! :)
Hurray, Katie's going to join the book club, too.
As soon as we figure out what book we're going to read, we'll post all the info.
Your Mom's been my reading buddy, and I love it.
We've laughed so hard in Barnes and Noble and need to go there again.
Now, I just have to come with an exciting book everyone will be interested in.
love the laughing stories...
i want in the club.
can we add to kill a mockingbird?
must read it every oct...
hate typing one handed. h
Post a Comment