On Saturday I went to see the documentary, The September Issue. I ran into a woman from Laurie's ward who had a good laugh that I was going to see this movie alone while Mike was going to another movie on his own. I told her it works out just fine because we meet up in the lobby when it's over and go home together since we live together and that we'll always be together since we're sealed together.I was the only person in the movie which happens a lot with my kind of movies, and even though I'm used to it, sometimes it surprises me and scares me a little so I sat in the very last row with my back against the wall so no one could sneak up on me and startle me.
This film is about Anna Wintour who is the editor of the fashion magazine, VOGUE. The focus is on Wintour and her Style Coordinator, Grace Coddington. Wintour is fashionable, cold and inscrutable. Her hair is cut short in a bob with bangs, and she wears large sunglasses outdoors and in, and considers them her armor. (The fashion director/cartoon character in The Incredibles was supposedly based on her. Also, the author of The Devil Wears Prada worked for Wintour and her book is said to be based on Wintour, as well.)
Grace is cool and controlled, but with with unruly, red hair. They have worked on the magazine together for 20 years, and prior to that Grace was also with British Vogue for 20 years and before that was a model who also graced its cover. She was beautiful.Sometimes I think everyone should wear one of those sports photo buttons pinned to our shirts showing who we have been, and who we once were. This movie sent my thoughts spiraling and wondering who we really are. It's been said that the body is the least of who we are, but I do not believe that. The body and its abilities determine all that we do but we are always in a state of flux. When the flux ends, we disappear.
Laurie recently told Mom she feels like a rotting piece of fruit, to which Mom asked, "Have you been talking to Leslie, again?" The inevitable decay of the body is a recurring theme for me since it is going to happen to me and to everyone. Over the summer Laurie made me see Wolverine and there was a line from the movie that stood out and remained with me. "We must destroy him to make him indestructable," which is probably the most positive and optimistic view of death there is.
So, Grace was beautiful but no longer is. She is however, extrememly talented. She is also one of the few people who will give Wintour an honest opinion, and is not afraid to disagree with her. She shows her anger and Wintour does too, but it is barely noticeable. Their emotions are masked, their voices controlled, and their manner calm. Grace at one point, said reservedly and quietly, "I'm furious."
Wintour was asked what her greatest strength was. She said her decisiveness, but her weakness she said is her children. Her children do not want to be a part of the magazine and Winter said her siblings find what she does amusing.
Grace says when she travels she never closes her eyes, not even when she is tired. She doesn't want to miss a thing. She watches everything because you never know what will inspire you.
Grace also said in regards to physical beauty and thinness, "In this world, everyone is not perfect. It's enough that the models are perfect."
It is said that fashion shows do not begin until Wintour arrives. Trends are created and crippled by her. She reminded me of Audrey Hepburn because she is exceedingly thin, wore white pants and izod shirts, and very pretty dresses. I did not see her eat a thing. She drank only coffee, Starbucks, and iced tea. Grace was only shown eating a salad.
Wintour and Grace Coddington are an interesting contrast and pair. They respect one another but will disagree and are not afraid to. It was interesting to learn about their magazine. I am always impressed at the serious effort and time involved in order to accomplish something. There is always an underworld of businesslike behavior and a surprising amount of organization, hard work, precision and expertise involved in any endeavor; be it magazine production, cooking contests, newspaper work, business success, or running a household.
Later, Laurie told me that she talked to the woman at church who saw me at the movies. They laughed that I went alone to a movie they had never heard of and Laurie told her I always see the movies no one wants to see. I told her the movie just came out and that I had to hurry and see it before it was gone. She said I should look at the clues: I was the only person in the movie, and the movie will be gone in a week. She also said she should go with me more often because it would probably be interesting because all the books I've recommended have been interesting. I told her I was happy to hear that and reminded her that it is my turn to choose what movie we see next. "Oh, goody, she said in a deflated voice, "I can hardly wait."



8 comments:
Leslie,
I've been thinking about some possible career choices for you:
1. Book Critic
2. Movie Critic
I would have also listed Food Critic but what on earth would you does if someday put something you disliked in one of their dishes? (Actually I know exactly what you would do. You would scrunch your face up and your eyebrows would rush together and you would shake your head sadly. I know because I saw you do that exact face in Italy when someone offered you Fish!)
Okay still no time-must go-but had to say hello.
I like this post. The movie sounds interesting to me! Plus, if you sit me down with popcorn and a soda in a dark relaxing theater, there is not much I wouln't like. Hmmm...I wonder if it is playing in a theater near me? :)
Loved the post. Everything soundso so interesting. Gotta go. No Time Girls! Will Be Back Later!
Mary,
It's my look of distress. I think you saw it in my sleep, too.
Can you tell I need a job?
Nobody has to comment on all my book and movie reviews, but I am in desperate need of an audience.
The question is will I ever find it? I think my ward feels the same way.....she should be doing something...but what....since they keep telling me I should teach at an RS workshop or something.
No one knows what to do with me. I don't even know what to do with me......but, I'll just keep writing.
All right, Mallory Anne is kicking me off the computer.
Look at all the fun movies and books I could drag everyone to! I'm with Katie.....I'm pretty happy even in a bad movie, as long as I've got my popcorn!
One more for Mary:
Fish! Are you kidding me? I could never eat Fish!
Eeeewwwwww Sick!
That movie sounds like it was very good. I think I would love it. But I don't think I could sit in an empty movie theatre watching Cinderella and not be terrified. I love that you and Mike go to the movies together to see separate movies. I laughed out loud when I read, "and we go home together and we're sealed together." or something like that. It's so true though. Well, I think you're very brave to sit in a dark movie theatre all by yourself. And I'm so jealous of you and Laurie's book club and movie club. Pick a wonderously fabulous book for us all to read so I can be in your club too! =D
I'm really not very funny, but I try. I wish I were funnier.
I'm really more serious than humorous. It's because of my dark side....like the moon.
I will try and pick a fascinating book to read. I came across one today, but will do a little more research on it. I always want to choose something new, but then it's hard to know if it will be a wise choice. So, I will keep everyone posted.
Also, I wish we could all hang out in bookstores and at independent movies, together. If I lived by everyone, I would force everyone to
accompany me. Well, maybe not force, but certainly beg.
Post a Comment