
It's time again for our Wednesday Afternoon Fine Arts League. Did you know Lucy and Ethel always met on Tuesdays and Fridays because Wednesday's never seemed to work out, but it was always referred to as The Wednesday Afternoon Fine Arts League.
I like having specific weekly themes because it makes me more alert and attentive to what I read, see and hear, as I try to find something of interest to learn about and share. I love to share whatever I am interested in because I always want someone else to appreciate and love it, too. It's more fun that way.
So today's cultural recommendation is for the jazz artist Diana Krall. She is a jazz pianist and singer. Jordan loves her music and he and I both recently watched one of her concerts. She has studied music since she was four years old, and was helped along the way by Ella FItzgerald's ex husband. Also, she is married to Elvis Costello. Some of her albums are Stepping Out, From This Moment On, and The Very Best of Diana Krall.
One more word about Jordan. He loves jazz and has on his ipod many of the jazz songs we play at home and the classical music he learned when he was young. Actually, Jake (Jake sang in a jazz group in high school) and Jordan both love jazz and are probably even more knowledgeable about it than I am.
I love jazz after Christmas because I need more music when Christmas is over. Jazz is perfect for New Years and all the way through Valentine's day.

I have five books that I read from every morning while I get ready, and this is one of them. (I'll post what the others are are on another day.) I read one page a day from this while I blow my hair dry. The book is divided by days. Monday-History, Tuesday-Literature, Wednesday-Visual Arts, Thursday-Science, Friday-Music, Saturday-Philosophy, and Sunday-Religion. It is a book full of one year's worth of daily readings. It is informative and interesting and usually leads me to study subjects more thoroughly. ( It's a habit of mine, you know, to delve deeply into things.) So, see what you think. You may really like it, too, and I'm pretty sure it will take your mind off of drying your hair.



13 comments:
I couldn't find a record cover of Diana Krall's, all I could find was her picture. She's not my friend, or our relative. I don't even know her, but it looks like I do.
I love that you read while your blowdry your hair...never a wasted moment when it comes to reading. :)
I need to read while I blow dry my hair! I love that idea and I love that you use a cook book holder. Very clever! I will have to check out that music. I would love to have some January Music, because I never know what to listen to after the holidays. And this book sounds great! It sounds like just the thing I need, since I've already established that I'm not very cultured!
Catherine, I am laughing that you said you have already established that I'm not very cultured.
Maybe we should also sign up for ballet lessons.... and attend charm school.
Today was another one of those days when I thought What Am I doing....this blog is boring...who cares...I am nothing but books, music and movies!
Also, went to Target to get more cheeze wiz frosting....and all they had were green...no orange.
And no fudgy oreo's either! I can't stand it when you have to go five different places for a project or a craft.......which is usually why we don't do them.
I should post that on Monday!
Heidi
I just read what you wrote below in the last comment section. That was nice of you, Heidi. Just know we all learn from each other, and I paid a lot of attention to what Laurie and Lisa were doing, too.
The Littles are willing to do everything. Teaching and helping two little girls is so easy compared to doing four every morning. There's no arguing or spilling, and they want to learn everything. They really are very cooperative. The big kids like that I still do everything with the Littles, and I am always so happy when they remember and know the poems, quotes and music.
Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement, Heidi. It was nice of you.
I love your recommendations, especially about listening to jazz after Christmas. It would help to fill that post holiday void. I need to get my paws on that book. I wish you could bring it to Europe, but the problem is I feel that way about all your books. Could you bring a traveling library/suitcase instead of clothes?
Erin,
I wish I could bring a suitcase full of books! It would be so heavy though and Mike would not want to carry it.
I am so excited for Europe.
I was too embarrassed to tell you on your blog today that I have not read The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.
I thought someone might write some harsh criticism. I have it checked out from the library and I am planning to FINALLY read it.
Oh let's do take ballet and attend a charm school! Those are both I love Lucy episodes! You probably already knew that!
Your new best friend is very pretty Leslie. No I'm just teasing. At first I thought it was the girl from that show Heroes! I thought hmmmmm....
1. That’s not the kind of show I would think Leslie would enjoy AT All.
2. I'm pretty sure if it is that show that it certainly does not belong on Wednesday Fine Arts League.
But Jazz music! That makes much more sense! I love the idea of listening to Jazz music after the holidays. I need music then with a little zing and pep in it......Does Jazz have zing and pep in it? I really can't say.
I love that you blow dry your hair while reading a book propped up in a cookbook holder. Is your living room lamp in the bathroom still? Perhaps a comfortable chair? Too funny! But great idea!
This book sounds very interesting and educational. I love reading about how much you learn from your books. It’s amazing how deeply you delve in them which only interest you further in another subject so you run out and get another book on that! I love it!
Thanks for all the great recommendations! From blow-drying tips to books on improving our intellect and education you got us covered! Thanks Leslie!
Mary,
Isn't that funny about Diana's Krall picture? And it was so big.
Yes, jazz has pep and zing in it.
And vim and verve,too.
Jazz reminds me of vacation, with the kids home, and rainy, cloudy days, and cinnamon rolls.
Tracy got in my car once and jazz was playing and, she was like what is this? Then she closed her eyes and was movin to the music and I could not stop laughing. She has rhythm and can move to anything. It was so funny, and she said she felt like she was in a jazz lounge. That was a couple years ago, but it was so funny!
Mary, it's true about me getting so many books and always interested in new subjects. I love information. I don't even know exactly what I've retained until someone starts talking about something and then it triggers all this information that I didn't even know I remembered.
Anyway, my reading saves me and my hair. If I couldn't read while I blowdry there is no way I could do it daily.
I had to move my lamp out of my bathroom because I get kicked out of my bathroom by Mike every morning. I end up getting ready in the hallway...with my lamp on.
I wish masterbedrooms had separate bathrooms and closets...one on each side of the bedroom.
Well, I loved your post today, too.
I'm so glad everyone's joining up.
I am ordering that book today. My best friends at Barnes and Noble are going to search for it for me.
And.....I know I always write a ton, so thanks for always reading.
I could post about five posts every day.
i love diana krall. and i love that you read while you blowdry your hair. for some reason, that made me think of something your mom would do. except that she has such short hair, it probably doesn't take her long enough. i guess it's just the endless quest for self-improvement. i'm so glad i know your family.
Hurray for Michal. I am so glad you know who I am talking about.
Isn't she talented! My son loves her and listens to her all the time.
I laughed that blowdrying and reading seemed like something "Babs" would do. It would only take her two minutes. My hair takes me 20 minutes to dry every day so I read a page out of five books while I am waiting.
Michal, you are so nice to all of us, and leave the kindest comments.
Also, I had read your "I am" post late, last night, and then went to bed reading all about the ability to define yourself with I am statements from people who are raised in Individual and Collective Societies. I thought it was interesting that I came across that in my reading just after reading all of your clever statements. I am a non fiction, junkie, and it was a book about Happiness.
I Love reading all your posts- I come out feeling like I just got a whole bunch of information dumped on me like a bucket of water... :) I love the idea of blow drying my hair and reading... not that I do my hair, but if I did, that would be a great way to multi-task... I should buy those books and start doing my hair. :)
Post a Comment