CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Wednesday Afternoon Fine Arts League





PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket


Welcome to The Wednesday Afternoon Fine Arts League. It was Catherine's idea. She started out quoting Lucy and suggested we have a caucus in the kitchen so she could borrow Lucy's sweater if Lucy was to be nominated Club President, which really depended on new clubmember Ruth Knickerbocker's deciding vote. Make sense? If it doesn't it's time to get out the old Lucy episodes and watch them again.
Well, we now have another official weekly theme. Wednesdays are now devoted to The Arts, or as they call it on The Office, The Finer Things. Everyone has to share something cultural they enjoy, be it books, art, music, or film. (Did you like that last one....film is one of the finer ways of describing movies.)
I posted some things to get us started. All the books of The Lives of Musicians, Writers, Artists, Athletes, and Extraordinary Women are written by Kathleen Krull. We use this series for Culture Hour on Sunday nights. It is also on CD and my kids have enjoyed listening to the biographical stories.
The CD of Classical Music for People Who Hate Classical Music is a great one to start with because all of the classics and more familiar pieces of music are on this CD. We love Barcarolle, Claire de Lune, and George Gershwins' Rhapsody in Blue, to name a few.
Also, the music from Brideshead Revisited is beautiful. Mallory and I both love piano music. She said if she had to be on a desert island and had one choice of music, it would be piano music. When Mallory heard Brideshead she said it could make her cry because it's so beautiful. Mallory included The Pride and Prejudice CD. We both love this, and she listens to it regularly. Also, I have been considering learning about Spanish guitar music. I thought we would buy a CD and listen to that, too. I think Jacob would love it and I'm sure he could learn it. I heard some recently and really liked it. It made me want to go to Spain and live in a villa. But, when I hear Western music I want to move away and live on a ranch. I don't want to run a ranch, I just want to listen to western music on a ranch. Well, Wednesdays should be fun, and maybe Lucy will loan me her good tablecloth and punchbowl when it's my turn to host. And maybe Carolyn Appleby will loan Catherine Lucy's sweater.

13 comments:

Catherine said...

Oh look how clever you are and all I posted was a poem! "Oh a poem, a poem." Now I want to delete mine! I feel just like Jim when he joins the finer things club and he's so out of his element. I guess I'm not very cultural! I have no culture!

Well I loved your post and thankyou for sharing all your wonderful ideas. We will be starting culture hour this week, because evidently I need it! I have the lives of the musicians book and I need to get the others!

And I hope Lucy will loan you her good tablecloth and punchbowl! I really want her sweater!

Leslie said...

"Oh a poem , a poem!" That's such a funny line.
I left you a comment on your blog, but I meant to call you when you were at Mary's to say,
"Ha ha, you had to babysit."
Actually, that was so nice of you. That's great that you're able to help each other.
I hope you watched the children and that no one played Here we go round the May Pole or tied you up and gagged you.....or else you would have had to perform in the talent show tonight with Elmer.
(That's one of my favorite-favorites. Jimmy and Timmy!) Ok, we'll talk tomorrow. Time to pick up The Littles.

Catherine said...

Oh how I love all of these I love lucy references! I love the one Jimmy and Timmy. They remind of Roy. When one of them kicks her over and over and says, "I'm hungry! I'm hungry! I'm hungry!" Thankfully we had none of that. We had a good time. Baby Jake was my little helper and everyone had a great time playing together. And when MK came home she could hardly talk and I got a big kick out of it. She told Adam that he was thuposed to do something. I can't remember what I was too distracted by her lisp!

Well it looks like you and I are the only members of the Wednesday Afternoon Fine Art Leagues. Perhaps it would help if we changed our meetings to tuesdays! Or maybe we should make this a closed club, just like Pam!

Leslie said...

Hysterical!
Yes, we are the only members. I bet your friend Ashlee would join. So funny. Oh well, who cares, we'll have a great time. What should we have for dessert next week? haha
I think Mary is a silent member. She calls me when she wants to discuss the Finer things!

Leslie said...

Hysterical!
Yes, we are the only members. I bet your friend Ashlee would join. So funny. Oh well, who cares, we'll have a great time. What should we have for dessert next week? haha
I think Mary is a silent member. She calls me when she wants to discuss the Finer things!

Leslie said...

Why one earth does it keep repeating my comments?
It has done this several times.
Oh well, it makes it look like I have a lot of comments.

Catherine said...

I think you must be clicking twice! Too funny, I just left you a comment about that in my neck of the blogs!

Don't forget that before we can invite anyone to join the Wednesday Afternoon Fine Arts League, they have to be introduced to all the club members and then we vote on whether or not we think they should join! Can you imagine? Well, even if no one else wants to play, I have had lots of fun with this today!

MK and Co. said...

I just lost my comment!!! Sorry I have to cut it short now. I'm here. I'm listening. I would like to participate in this club but am struggling with the juggling of finer things and the not so finer things (children's messes). Love all the book and music suggestion. I always do!

Leslie said...

All in favor of Mary joining the Fine Arts Club say
I.
I think Marian Strom, Ruth Knickerbocker, and Carolyn Appleby would all say I, too.

Did I tell you I spent all day, well 2 1/2 hours with
"Can you imagine," yesterday. She cut off all her hair and donated it to locks of love and tried to talk me into doing it, too. "Can you imagine!"

Leslie said...

All in favor of Mary joining the Fine Arts Club say
I.
I think Marian Strom, Ruth Knickerbocker, and Carolyn Appleby would all say I, too.

Did I tell you I spent all day, well 2 1/2 hours with
"Can you imagine," yesterday. She cut off all her hair and donated it to locks of love and tried to talk me into doing it, too. "Can you imagine!"

Leslie said...

There it goes again. I swear something is wrong with my clicker. Oh well, it looks like I am getting a lot of response. It's you and me, Catte. We're foolin' everyone. And Mare, too. Can't forget Mare.

MK and Co. said...

Oh my gosh. That is so hilarious about your hair stylist trying to get you to donate it! No I really can't imagine. Tell her you will donate some cookies next time. That's really more your style. Sorry about your itchy clicker finger but your numbers look really impressive!
Oh, by the way, I love your new line about "giving nods" to something or someone for recognition. I like that way of saying it. I could just see you with your little chin up in the air actually giving a nod to someone! And thanks for remembering your little pal.

Leslie said...

Aaaaahhhh, Mare you are my little pal.
You and Mark and Carl, both.
You always have been. You two are The Littles, everyone loves you.

hahahaha too about me donating cookies instead of my hair. That is definitely more my style.