CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

More Book Reports



Mary Kate recommended the book, Julius The Baby of The World. We thought it was so funny. The Littles laughed but could not believe how mean Lilly was to the new baby. Especially when she leans over the crib and says softly, "I hate you. (This actually reminded me of Mike and I during our early marriage years when he would snore so loudly, and I wasn't used to it. I would get so frustrated, and wake him up a hundred times to stop. He would get angry and insist he wasn't snoring, which never made any sense because why would I pretend. We would then both be so angry and exhausted and would meanly whisper back and forth to each other, "I Hate You. No, I Hate YOU," until one of us finally fell asleep. We always laughed about it in the morning, but in the middle of snore-filled-sleep-deprived nights, we really did!)
Back to the book. It was funny and accurate. We laughed at her trying to confuse the baby by counting out of order, and laughed when she leaned over the crib and said, "You're Ugly." The Littles were shocked by this one, but we were happy she resolved her feelings when she saw her cousin exhibiting the very same feelings she had. We have read other books by Kevin Henkes, but had never read this one. Thanks for recommending it, Mare.

Pumpkin Time is a book I love because I think the pictures are so cute. The last page is my favorite when they go Trick-O-Treating, and the bright orange pumpkins are against the dark blue sky. This book reminds me of The Big Kids and we just bought it on Saturday at Barnes and Noble for The Littles. Catherine, probably already knows this story, but I thought she would especially like it since she planted pumpkins.
Also, The Littles and I had the best day at Barnes and Noble on Saturday. We went after Conference while Mike was at Priesthood. We love to buy new books, and then eat at the cafe. Saturday we ate at the cafe and I had the best mini pumpkin bundt cake with caramel frosting and colorful sprinkles. Even The Littles loved it, and we had a great time sitting at our table, reading our books, and eating our cake. I love Barnes and Noble. I wish I lived there.

13 comments:

MK and Co. said...

I'm so glad you liked the book! It is funny. I think I would recommend this one to parents who are expecting their second child. It would help them to see how things will really be when the next baby comes. I love how much you are posting. Leslie you were meant for Mormonism. You are constantly working, learning and doing. You really are like a bee. A worker bee. A bee, a fish, a cat. So many different things!
Thanks for the other Halloween book. I can't wait to read it. Your day at Barnes and Nobles sounds ideal. You really do have a very nice life, Leslie dear!

P.S. Hey you don't have to type a verification word. Thanks! I hate those things! Especially when it has lot's of h's in it. I realy want to say "What the H!"

Catherine said...

Oh I need to get my hands on the Julius book! MK showed it to me and it was so funny! And I don't think I know Pumpkin Time. I'll have to see if my library has it. I love Barnes and Noble too! I wish I could spend my grocery money on books every month! When we lived in our apartment, we lived right behind Barnes and Noble, and our upstairs neighbor managed it. And I always thought that looked like a fun job! I think you would be great at it! Except you need a store more like the shop around the corner!

Katie and Mark said...

Those books sound woderful. I will be at the library today, for Brooklynne's class, and I am hoping they will have them!

I cannot wait until my group is a little older, and then I will find a little more joy at the book store. We do like the kid's section though! : )

Leslie said...

Mary, I loved your line, "made for Mormonism ."
I loved your bee references especially since I collect anything with references to bees. Bees have the most industrious, work oriented societies, and Mormon societies resemble theirs. I believe there is much dipper and hidden meaning and symbolism as to why the bee and beehive represent Mormon culture.
Did you know Deseret means honeybee or land of the honeybee. It comes from The Book of Mormon...Ether 2:3, it's easy for me to remember.....numbers...me and my numbers!
Bees are a social insect, and there is an extreme example about bees because workers give their all to the colony but are permanently sterile and defend the colony to help the Queens produce.
The workers have a unique genetic system which makes them more closely related to their sisters than they would be to their own offspring. Anyway, by defending the colony they help their mothers make sisters instead of making offspring of their own. It's a unique-efficient system. It's very interesting and I probably didn't do it justice, but know it was fascinating and related to so many areas. "It's all there, black and white, clear as crystal."
I think I was made for Mormonism because our religious teachings/beliefs pervade my every thought and every page of my reading!
It is a captivating subject!
Sorry to go on and on. It's what I do. I could wax long on any subject.
Also, Working, Learning, Doing.....it's The Renouf Way.....or my way, anyway!

Leslie said...

Catte,
Your kids will love Pumpkin Time, especially since you planted pumpkins. You could do a finger paint project with them. That's what some of the pictures reminded me of.

Also, I tried to get a job at Barnes and Noble once, just so I could have the discount. I don't really want to work there. I want to live there. I didn't get the job because my availability for hours was to choppy, but I received a very nice letter from the man who interviewed me. Couldn't Dad just buy a Barnes and Noble chain? Then I really could live there.

Prudy said...

We just read Pumpkin Time last night and again I was in awe of that pretty last page. I told my kids that we have to try to make a project just like that. We love Kevin Henkes. His writing is hysterical and dead on about the kids.
I'm gathering a list of my favorite Oct. reads to post on my blog. I don't know if any of my readers will care, but I'm trying to transition over into writing for me. It helps me justify the amount of time I spend on blogging. A truly consuming amount.

Leslie said...

Erin,
I wish you'd do a private blog as well as a public blog, or a family blog with the professional blog. I suppose that's too time consuming. Oh, well.
Mary and Catherine both have great Fall books posted on their blogs. I list my books as my reading journal and add a book as I complete it. Good luck transitioning into writing on your blog. I think you'd make a great food writer, or any kind for that matter.

Fantastic Mr. R said...

So I finally get a minute to read and then I can't see any words! What is wrong with my computer? All I see is your pictures and no posts?!?!? Well, I needed to pop in and say hello and tell you we love those books, too. In fact Reeve often says that Lavender is the baby of the world. Ivy loves the Lily books, too.
Alright I'm out of my element since I don't know what your post was about, but I liked the pictures. I'll be back.ps...of course michal knows who you are...leave her a comment. she will love to hear from you and isn't she a good writer?

Leslie said...

Help!
What has happened to my blog?
Anyone...anyone...anyone?
It is empty. I have no idea what happened.
As Aubrey would say, " Weeeeiiii-rrrrrrrdddd!!

Leslie said...

Leslie,
I think I fixed it. On my computer it looks normal again. How does it look on yours?

Leslie said...

I just realized that I am currently logged in as you, so I can fix your blog! This is Catte! People are going to think that you are leaving comments to yourself! Hahaha!
Catte

Leslie said...

Catte, You must have fixed it because it's back to purple and all the posts are up.
Thank you for helping me AGAIN!
I'm glad it logged you in as me.

MK and Co. said...

Leslie,
I have always thought of you as a person with diverse personalities but this is really getting serious.