
Last week I posted a book report about this book, but then deleted it. I was afraid it was boring. Catte and Mare said it wasn't and wished I hadn't deleted it. All it takes is a few words of encouragement so I will keep writing my boring book reports and try to rewrite this one.
Girls Will Be Girls is the equivalent of So You Want To Raise a Boy. The only thing I didn't like about this book is that it does not have an index. I think ALL books should have an index, and usually end up making my own for everything I read. So, know that in advance if you buy this book, you'll have to create your own index.
The author suggests having your girls tell you something they are proud of each day. I liked this, and have added it to our daily morning devotional. The Original Four and even The Littles have been taught to do two nice things for someone each day. One that they will report on at the end of the day, and the other, something only they and their Father In Heaven will know. They always like to tell what it is they have done, and I thought adding something that they are proud of is worth doing, too.
I recently read and liked what Michal Johnson had written on her blog about teaching her children, "We Can Do Hard Things." Interestingly enough, this was also mentioned in General Conference by Sister Dalton. I believe in this, and know that children benefit from trying and doing. I have told my kids, that it's important to do difficult things, and that difficult things often become important things. This is usually said when they don't want to do something; piano practice, waterpolo, seminary, etc. The author writes about the importance of Doing, and that Doing Works. Doing creates self esteem. The three C's of self esteem are Competence, Confidence, and Connectedness.
What was most interesting was that there is much correlation , "that indicates that girls who participate in sports not only develop the useful skills of leadership, problem solving, and physical coordination, but also often add to their reservoir of confidence, competence and connectedness. In fact, probably more than any other category, SPORTS CAN DO IT ALL." (I thought Dad would be happy to read this.) "Sports can do it all." ( I also love that Sarah Palin was a high school basketball player, among all of her other accomplishments and capabilities.)
She also writes about Creative Doing and that writing, painting, dancing, singing, playing musical instruments and computer programming are all forms of creative doing.
Another book I think every parent should own is Why Gender Matters by Leonard Sax, M.D., Ph.D. He writes about the importance of projects, and activities, particularly for boys. It also discusses differences in the best way to teach girls and boys.
In Girls Will Be Girls, Dr. Mary Pipher who wrote Reviving Ophelia is quoted, "Girls whose anchor is reading, may use it to disappear from the world, or escape into one, and it steadies them." I know this is true, and it still steadies me. Although I'm not exactly escaping, since I love Non Fiction. I am always looking for explanations, knowledge and understanding. (I love information, and neuroscience, and studying intricacies of human behavior. I am currently reading a book about a man who read the entire Encyclopedia Brittanica. (I would do it, and go to bed with an encyclopedia all the time when I am in between books and waiting for the next interest to take hold.) The encyclopedia author is funny which makes it easier to absorb the facts and information. It is called, Know It All by A.J. Jacobs.
In Girls Will Be Girls it is sugggested to always, always, prolong the part of your daughter that is a child. She also says to always tuck her in at night like she's a little girl, and always tell her good night.
And lastly, I loved her definition of Happiness. "Happiness is Someone to Love, Something To Do, and Something To Look Forward To."
See why I loved this book? I really do love to write about what I have read, and I love to share and discuss what I've read, too. Laurie is so good about listening to my book reports and she loves it because she feels like she's read the book herself when I get done telling her about it. Well, I hope some of these books will interest you, as well. Please post what you have learned or what you thought was most important from the books you are reading. I am always interested.
Thanks again for reading along, everyone. I promise I won't delete it.



10 comments:
Okay today I am going to hurry and write my comment so that you'll feel like you can't delete this post because then you will also delete my profound comment! Haha! I can't wait to read all the books that you mentioned. The whole time I was reading your post I kept thing Mary Pipher wrote Reviving Ophelia but that I must be wrong because you didn't mention it, but then you did! So look at me I know something.
I really really think that we should start an online yaya sisterhood of the traveling pants, book club! Please pick a book and post it on your blog and we'll all read it and then pick a day to blog about it and write our opinions. It could be like one of Erin's blogging baking clubs, but we'll be books. And I nominate you to be president. Of course now we'll have to sneak off into the kitchen now and when we return I will be wearing your new sweater and carrying your new purse! And if we have the meetings at my house then you can wear your mink stole! Oh oh oh I've got it let's start a Wednesday afternoon fine arts league!!! Please, please, please, lets! Every wednesday, everyone has to post something that has to do with fine arts! Let's just copy everything that Lucy and Ethel do but we'll do it new millenium style - in crazy blog nation! Anyway I suppose I'm done rambling now. But I really did love this post and I can't wait to read all of the books you mentioned!
PS don't delete it! I loved it!
Leslie dear,
I loved your post! You present information form your books in a very interesting, practical, and relatable way. See, this is why I loved you as my Laurel teacher. You were so sweet with your basket of delicious baked goods and lessons full of quotes and thoughts from your interesting books. I loved it then and still do. But where's my cookie. No I'm just kidding! I know right now you’re thinking "Perhaps I should send Mary some cookies." I know you. You hate to disappoint. I still remember the mad-dash-cookie-batch simply because someone was disappointed you did not make them for a church lesson. Too funny!
I loved your quote about girls who love to read and how the book becomes their anchor and their North Star (North Star was posted in the first edition of this post). It made me think of Peter Pan and entering a secret world of delight. I feel the same way when I read. I think that's why I love fiction.
I loved the part about girls playing sports. Yes, Pop would enjoy that part too. Athletics was certainly an area in which Dad and his daughters created great attachment by a common love of one thing.
I also loved the part of tucking in your daughters. It always feels so good to have someone come in at the close of the day, straighten your blankets and sheets, run their hand over your head and wish you good night.
Please don't ever delete any of your post again! I loved this one. I came away from reading it refreshed and reenergized and ready to try to be better in all that I do. I loved it. Thanks for all your thought-provoking ideas!
P.S. I love Catte's idea. Not only do Lucy and Ethel have this club but it is also endorsed and participated in by Pam from Office so it has to be a great idea!
Catte,
I won't delete anything anymore.
I did so because I thought it was dull, and I always think, "who cares," and who wants to be bossed around by a big sister and told what to read. But, I really do think it's the best book I have read on raising girls. When I find one better, then that one can be the best, but until then this is it. "Linus knows what he's talking about. Linus knows what he's doing." I feel like this about this because I have read so many books about this, and this really is the best one I have come across.
Also, I love The Wednesday Afternoon Fine Arts League and yes, let's do it, immediately. Except remember they didn't actually meet on Wednesdays. It was Tuesday or Thursday due to their bridge games or some other club they were involved in. Do you remember this?
I love Lucy. She is the biggest nut ever, but I really love Ethel too because she is such a loyal sidekick and friend. Lucy gets all the glory but Ethel deserves it, too.
When it's my turn to host can I borrow your good tablecloth? And maybe you could help me paint and wallpaper, too? Maybe we should form a Ladies Overseas Aid Committee, as well.
Yes, by all means let's make Wednesdays our Fine Arts day.
I know exactly what to post for tomorrow.
So, Mondays are things we don't love, Fridays are for what we love, and Wednesdays are for Fine Arts. Perfect.
Also, thank you for even being interested in what I am reading. I always want to share what I am reading because I think it's so interesting. "I'm just a hog for knowledge." If you know that quote I will send you a present.
Mary,
Dad was hands-down the best tucker inner, ever. No one pulled the sheets tighter, or smoother, and his big bear paw hands could put you immediately to sleep from all the backrubs and smoothing your hair away from your face. He even came in last time I was in St.George to tuck in me and my girls and say good night. So cute!
Ahhhhh, Dad! Don't you just love Dad. He's so good to his girls No wonder he had so many.
I laughed that you noticed I had ommitted North Star from my rewrite. It's because they talked about North Star and I wasn't sure I should refer to it without explaining it. I love that it made you think of Peter Pan, and entering a magical world. I will have to use that in my book. Really and truly. It's going in.
I enjoy piecing my story all together...especially when the levels/layers show up, and especially the symbolism.....but writing it all out dilligently is hard.
Also, thanks for your nice nod to our old Laurel Class. I should send you a batch of cookies for old times sake, and yes, you know me so well because I thought I could send you a Mrs. Fields gift card. Hers are better than mine, and I don't know about mailing 3day old crumbs. I mean cookies.
You know how I feel about manual lessons! I believe in drawing from everything and using multiple resources. The manuals are flat and one dimensional.
Well, I am glad you enjoyed the post, and was surprised you even noticed I deleted the original.
Little Sisters are the best audience.
Also, I remember Pam holding The Finer Things meeting. I think someone was wearing a beret.
I think we should all buy some in France, and wear them on Wednesdays!
Catte,
Also, Thank You for adding Michal Johnson's blog to my list.
I like her blog,and the things she writes about. Her post about Prop 8 was very good, too.
Ok, thanks again. I noticed right off you did it.
Oh I know, I know! The Unsinkable Molly Brown! It took me a minute but I got it!
I don't even know what to post about tommorow but I really liked the idea in theory. We'll see if I can come up with something.
You're very welcome for the help on your blog. I read Michal's about Prop 8 and I thought it was very good.
I do remember that the Wednesday afternoon Fine Arts League met on a different day of the week, but I couldn't remember what day they met, so I didn't write it.
And I think we should all get beret's in France as well as Jaque Marcel gowns and let's go work at a grape vineyard, and climb a mountain in Lucerne, eat escargot, uh . . . what else? I need to watch my Lucy in Europe episodes.
PS just so you know older sisters are a pretty good audience too!
Catte,
Loved all The European Lucy references. Can we meet Charles Boyer, too and he can say,
"Luuuuuccccyyyyyyyy," with his sexy gravelly French accent.
Also, loved your last line. It was nice of you to say so.
Catte,
Loved all The European Lucy references. Can we meet Charles Boyer, too and he can say,
"Luuuuuccccyyyyyyyy," with his sexy gravelly French accent.
Also, loved your last line. It was nice of you to say so.
For someone reason, this post made me feel sad that my little girl is growing up. I wish she could just stay little forever. I'm sure it is part of the reason that I homeschool. Can you bring this book to Europe so that I can read it. You know I love to read your books. I love to come on a reading vacation to your house. It seems like time is just slipping through my fingers. Maybe I'm just tired. But time really is slipping through my fingers. It's 9 AM and I'm still in my pajamas. School should be starting. I should have run. Is there a book about helping us have more time that you could review next?
Berets are supposed to be very in style this season too!
Post a Comment