I always end up staring after these women and wondering what could they be thinking.
Don't they know that it's demeaning, vulgar, and in plain old poor taste? Don't they feel bad exposing their children to something so crude? Don't they worry about the effect this may have on their children? I feel embarrassed when other children walk by and see them, and worse when I see daughters climb into their car.
There are two other vehicles at our school that are also a source of amazement and, even despair. One is a traveling tattoo service. Tattoos are painted on the sides, along with a phone number. The father who drives this car has a son in Erin Leigh's class. A very sweet little boy, too.
The other car is a black suburban with the word Lingerie painted on the back window alongside a phone number. I always hope the kids who walk by won't be able to pronounce the word, and even Erin Leigh has asked if it says, "lingering." (Yes, honey, it sure does, now look away.)
It is so sad to me, when I see these things.
A few months ago our Stake President had all of the youth in our Sacrament Meeting stand. As they stood, he pleaded with them, very sincerely and movingly to share the gospel with their friends. That they must do this. He told them to look around, and see the piercings, the tattoos, and the behavior, and to know that their friends need them, and they need The Gospel.
I think it was the best talk I have ever heard given to the youth. (He always gives a good talk....long many times, but good.) It was earnest, and sincere, and I agreed with him. It also made me think of my own self and that I need to speak up, and give what I know to others. (This is easy for me to do with my kid's friends, since I can be the bossy-motherly type. Mallory had to buy a dress for homecoming and her nonmember friend, Hope, who I love, and reminds me of Cammy, said when she tried it on, "Oh, Mal, this is a good one. It's up to your Mom's standards.")
The older I get the more frightened I am of this world and culture. I know we're not supposed to be and that we should be hopeful, but sometimes it's hard to be. Especially in California!



3 comments:
Oh, that is kind of sad and kind of sort of creepy too. It does seem like there is so much out there that appeals to the worst in us and not the best. That was a nice compliment from Mallory's friend. I'm sure it is harder and harder to live in CA, but at the same time, there are plenty of good people there too. Yesterday in YW, the girls started talking about Victoria's secret and how they like there stuff so much even though they don't like the pictures. It made me feel bad that they have to deal with such sensualization, and I wished they wouldn't shop there, but I just told them that they need to make their own decisions about it. Anyway...I just booked my flight to NY a minute ago. My kids will be in NY for 20 days. I hope it all goes well. I'm a strange mixtue of nervousness, excitedness, worry, and care free selfishness.
Oh this was an excellent airing of grievances. Very sad, too. How awful about the cars at and ELEMENTARY school. Who are these people? How nice of Mal's friend. I agree with you, I am afraid of this world and culture and I live in Utah. I just sent everyone an email about drugs being marketed to children! How disgusting is that? They make it look like candy and I believe that sometimes they sell it to children and tell them it is candy! So shocking and scary.
I checked out Girls will be Girls from the library. I'm not very far, but it really is excellent. Hopefully it will help!
Okay,
The fates are against me. I have written 2 comments and they have both disappeared. I give up!
I loved your post. It was not grievances just kind concern. Very sweet, sad, and thoughtful.
Post a Comment