I have told everyone I am about to give up my blog, since really it's Mallory who's running it for me, but now she's never home to do it. Her schedule is grueling. She has practice everyday after school and Club at night a few times a week, and coaching Erin Leigh's team twice a week, too. She had games this past weekend and left the house at 6:00 am. She is so busy, comes home exhausted, lays down for a little while, and then gets up to leave for more. At this point, I don't want to ask anything of her, so we are back to being picture-less. Heidi, Mare and Catte told me not to give it up, so I thought I'd write some random happenings and thoughts.
Sunday, I got kicked out of my seat at Sacrament Meeting. An overbearing, impolite elderly woman who I used to visit teach with Marcia kicked me out of it. (this is the woman, a fellow member, of course, who called the city about our gate in our wall.) We had shown up a half hour early to get a seat, and almost didn't. Our regular row was gone, so we sat in another one, only to be told as Sacrament started that I was sitting in her seat. She was hostile about it, too. This is a regular occurrence for her, and she has kicked me out of my seat at Enrichment nights before, and has kicked other people out of their seats in Relief Society. Luckily, a woman let my little kids sit with her family, and I moved to the row they had been in. Later, during Relief Society she kicked the girl I visit teach now, right out of her seat, too. She reminds me of Mrs. Dubose in To Kill A Mockingird, except Mrs. Dubose could be forgiven because she was addicted to morphine, if I remember correctly.
"Don't you say to hey to me you Ugly Girl." This is the kind of woman she is, and she would have raised her voice and called me out if I hadn't given her my seat. I could just picture the Bishop coming down and telling me to just let her have it. Believe me I felt like putting up a fight, too. The chapel and overflow were packed. We had two farewells in one day, and we were all challenged to bring a family to church that Sunday. Every seat was taken. The thing is if she were a kind, elderly kind of woman you'd gladly give up your seat. You'd give her the whole row.
This is nothing, but it was terrible today. My nightstand had about 50 books piled up on it. Stacks and stacks. As I was straightening it up, all the stacks fell down in the crack between the wall and the nightstand. Not just my books, but my two jars of pencils, notecards, my crayon and my retainers! Don't you just hate that kind of thing? I really do. I could hardly drag the nightstand away from the wall (too heavy.) Then I had to practically lay down over the nightstand and reach down to grab everything. I could hardly reach, and The Littles laughed at me trying. I know I looked like an uncoordinated contortionist. And every five seconds I'd get a kink in my neck or shoulder. Finally, I got a pair of kitchen tongs, and had to use them to pick up every book, pencil, notecard, crayon, and retainers. It only took me an hour to do it, too.
Last week I had to use the kitchen tongs for clothes that had fallen behind the washer. This morning I used them to open the blinds in the kitchen. Every time I turn around I seem to be using them for something they weren't meant for.
I should send this in to Real Simple when they always ask for new uses for old items. I guess Kitchen Tongs are the tool of the week. If only I had thought of them back on Bluefield when the shower handles fell off in the middle of my shower, and water came shooting out of the handles instead of the showerhead. The shower was flooding, and I had to literally work on the shower with pliers and tools while I was completely unadorned! It seemed like a set up straight out of Candid Camera. All I can think today about it is, at least I was thin.
Blog Archive
My Blog List
-
-
-
-
-
Let's Watch Conference12 years ago
-
-
-
Wise Men Still Seek Him13 years ago
-
-
-
-
Excited for YOSEMITE!!!!!!!!15 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
My Blog List
My Blog List
Powered by Blogger.
Monday, September 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"Propriety: noun: conformity to established standards of behavior or manner, suitability, rightness or justice. See "etiquette."
-Burnsie-
Popular Posts
-
If you haven't watched this movie could you please go straight to a Red Box, find it and watch it. It was ridiculous & absurd and I...
-
Here she is. Here is The Littles new dog. They wanted one so much that we gave in and let them have one. Doesn't she look like Girlie?...
-
All right, Sisters of The Yah-Yah Club, Where are all the comments? We need to get our Quilting Bee going again. Obviously, we need better ...
-
I have a funny story about this movie, or should I say a frustrating story. For weeks I'd wanted to see this movie, but it never worked...
-
Remember how in Meet Me In St Louis Tootie says she's so lucky to be born in her favorite city. Well, that's how I feel about Fall. ...
-
These are my latest addiction. They come in a bright, red bag. I usually eat the cheddar kind in the yellow bag, but when Erin was down sh...
-
The Littles went back to school today, and were happy to return. Actually, Erin Leigh was happy and Annie Laurie was semi-happy. That's ...
-
Is everyone ready or frantically getting ready for our trip? I'm so excited to go and am looking forward to being all together. I can ha...
-
I received my legal and signed document today from my ear surgeon. I have been officially excused from jury duty for the rest of my life du...
-
Just in case anyone had any doubt, which I doubt that anyone did, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is officially my new Magnificent Obsession. ...



6 comments:
This is why you can never ever give up blogging. The last line killed me. At least you were thin when you were naked and equipped with a tool box. Hee Hee. I can't believe the nerve of that woman! I'm in a huff and I wasn't even there. HER seat? I want to host a sit-in and glue my backside to her spot. So there.
Leslie,
I love this post! When you have so many silly stories and you write the way you do, you just don't need pictures!
Okay, I was in a hurry before so now I would like to finish my comment . . . Who does that crotchety old lady think she is?! That is a crack up kicking people out of her seat everywhere she goes! And I can't believe that she did it as Sacrament Meeting was starting!
One time in our old ward, before we had kids, Paul and I were sitting in a pew on the side of the chapel. And then like 30 minutes into Sacrament Meeting a family with 4 kids came and asked if they could share the pew with us! So eight of us were squished into the little tiny pew and everyone around us kept pointing to seats by them that we could move to, but Paul refused to because he didn't like the idea of giving up our pew! One of these days someone needs to teach a Sunday School Lesson on Church Etiquette. Maybe I'll write a book and call myself the Mormon Emily Post!
Oh yes and thankyou for sharing with me another use for kitchen tongs!
I started to write a comment, had too much to say, (hypergraphia) so wrote another post.
Catherine, I think you would make the perfect
Mormon Emily Post. I can already picture you eating donuts, daintily with little white gloves on.
I agree with Catte, pictures are not necessary when your stories are so hilarious.
That woman in Sacrament has some nerve! I can't believe she keeps demanding seats everywhere she goes. She needs a ticking off in my opinion. Let me know if it gets to be you.
Your other story was so funny. I could just picture you laying on top of your nightstand trying desperately to get those troublesome items scattered on the floor. Some things you can imagine without even being there and this was one of the. Once Erin was moving furniture while talking on the phone to me and got stuck between pieces of furniture. She had to get off the phone to get out of this predicament. It was really funny and that was another scene I could picture perfectly!
Adam read your post and wanted to know if it was possible maybe to wait till someone could help you move the night stand. I told him that I just don't think that is an option for dear fastidious Leslie. Really such a funny story. And who knew kitchen tongs had so many uses!
Please don't ever stop writing for your blog. You would break my heart. I was laughing out loud at 6:30 in the morning! It was a great way to start off my day.
Erin,
I thought we were actually going to converse today, but I can see we may not actually get to until Europe.
Thank you for wanting to stage a sit-in for me, though. I know you would have had plenty to say to this woman, and you would have remained calm doing so. My trouble is I always feel like Anne, and my first reaction is wanting to scream, very loudly, I'm afraid, "How Dare You!" which would never do at church.
What would all the Rachel Lynde's of the ward say.
Post a Comment