I think we should have a simultaneous weekly reading club. I know we're all busy and probably deeply involved with our own books, so maybe we could all just read a chapter of something together to discuss rather than an entire book.
Two nights ago I was reading Mrs. Piggle Wiggle to The Littles. I think these are my favorite stories to read aloud because something funny always surprises me, like their names; Chuckie Keystop, Mary Crackle, Evelyn Rover, Susan Grapple, and Catherine and Wilfred Grassfeather.
I was reading The Interrupters from, "Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Magic," and I was laughing so hard that the girls ended up laughing even harder from watching and listening to me. There was a part in it so funny and absurd that I couldn't even finish the paragraph. I had to start over so many times it was hilarious.
It involved the father telling a long, dull story to the children.
It was absurd and ridiculous and I loved it and know you will too.
No wonder we all love the seriously absurd. Mom raised us on it.
Blog Archive
My Blog List
-
-
-
-
-
Let's Watch Conference12 years ago
-
-
-
Wise Men Still Seek Him13 years ago
-
-
-
-
Excited for YOSEMITE!!!!!!!!15 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
My Blog List
My Blog List
Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, July 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"Propriety: noun: conformity to established standards of behavior or manner, suitability, rightness or justice. See "etiquette."
-Burnsie-
Popular Posts
-
It's Friday so I thought I'd post a few favorites of the week. This is the current book I am reading. It's one of those books t...
-
If you haven't watched this movie could you please go straight to a Red Box, find it and watch it. It was ridiculous & absurd and I...
-
I have a funny story about this movie, or should I say a frustrating story. For weeks I'd wanted to see this movie, but it never worked...
-
Here she is. Here is The Littles new dog. They wanted one so much that we gave in and let them have one. Doesn't she look like Girlie?...
-
These are my latest addiction. They come in a bright, red bag. I usually eat the cheddar kind in the yellow bag, but when Erin was down sh...
-
All right, Sisters of The Yah-Yah Club, Where are all the comments? We need to get our Quilting Bee going again. Obviously, we need better ...
-
Remember how in Meet Me In St Louis Tootie says she's so lucky to be born in her favorite city. Well, that's how I feel about Fall. ...
-
Just in case anyone had any doubt, which I doubt that anyone did, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is officially my new Magnificent Obsession. ...
-
Is everyone ready or frantically getting ready for our trip? I'm so excited to go and am looking forward to being all together. I can ha...
-
The Littles went back to school today, and were happy to return. Actually, Erin Leigh was happy and Annie Laurie was semi-happy. That's ...



7 comments:
Oh we should have a simultaneous reading group. Right now we're in the middle of Mrs. Piggle Wiggle's farm. And I have been cracking up at all the names, too! Every time I say, "Fetlock Harroway" I'm afraid I may actually say a bad word. And I love Mrs. Workbasket and Mrs. Mallet. (I don't know the kids names!) Oh yes ane Rebecca Rolfe, Phoebe Jackstraw. I LOVE MRS PIGGLE WIGGLE!
Oh yes and I am in the middle of Morgan's Passing. I started reading it because of the comment you left on MK's blog about a dignified 6 foot rabbit passing out jelly beans from an Easter Basket. It sounded hilarious so I started reading it and am loving it. And I wish we could have a book group about it, because, while I'm getting better at recognizing Anne Tyler's symbolism, I'm sure I am missing some of it.
Oh yes and Mary Kate and I were wondering what is the title of the Anne Tyler book where they release the 100 pacifiers on balloons? I have never read that but it sounds hilarious. And I think that would be fun to do when we're ready to get rid of Pauly's paccys!
It was 'Digging to America' wasn't it? I really liked that book. It had me laughing outloud. I think an Ann Tyler book might be a good one to read together. Maybe we should do 'digging'.
I am so happy you are reading Morgan's Passing. I really like that one of Anne Tyler's. It's so funny and full of references to fairy tales. Morgan and Emily are such interesting characters, and I love that Morgan is so interested in Emily and Leon's life.
Her other book Celestial Navigation, is the one I think that made me laugh the most. It isn't my favorite but it was full of funny, funny, laugh out loud chapters.
Let's all read The Interrupters and Digging To America. Pick a Chapter from Mrs. Piggle Wiggle's Farm and we can read that, too.
Another one of my favorite chapters is the first chapter in Mrs. Piggle Wiggle's Magic, when it tells of all the dreams the children have.
I know Heidi is reading Gone With The Wind right now, too. Pick a chapter Heidi, and we'll join you.
Hurray, we can have a Blogger Book Club.
I'm partial to Mary Crackle, since Leslie can barely barely say it without exploding. I'm reading a boring but not boring book about eating natural foods called The Omnivore's Dilemma. I'd better find a good book for my trip on Tuesday. Maybe I could borrow from Heid. good night, I'm dull with Saturday is a special day chores. I've been trying to call you, Les. Oh, well maybe tomorrow. Where is my good grammar and punctuation?
I'm on chapter two in Gone with the Wind and I also started reading Erma Bombecks's A marriage made in heaven or too tired for an affair. I read it in my early twenties and thought it was funny . Now several kids later and several more years of marriage under my belt I was laughing out loud crying! Leslie you recommended this one to me and It really is a good one. I'm up for throwing Anne Tyler in the mix. Which one are we reading?
Mary, I will read Erma Bombeck's with you. I have it and will start it tonight.
Okay, I'm excited to read with everyone, but I don't know what I'm supposed to read! Mrs Piggle Wiggle? Gone With the Wind? Digging to America? We need to elect a group activity leader. Well, someone tell me what am I supposed to read?
Oh yes, I finished Morgan's Passing. I loved the beginning and the middle, but you know me I love a happy ending. And I thought this one was so sad. And I loved Morgan so much throughout the whole book, but at the end, I wasn't happy with his decisions! Help me. How do I resolve this issue that has been plaguing me all day?
Post a Comment