CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, July 11, 2008

Old Lady Chat

The Littles and I went to lunch today, and I was laughing quietly to myself while we were eating.  Erin Leigh wanted to know what I was laughing at.  Actually, they always want to know what I am thinking and remembering since I am terrible company and always engulfed in the insular world of my own thoughts.  This is why I was laughing.  Erin Leigh wanted to box up her sandwich to take home, and I was thinking of Mary Kate laughing at me when we went to lunch with Michelle and her kids for Eliza's birthday.  I had asked the waitress for a "Doggie bag." Even as I said it, it felt wrong, but I couldn't think of what else to call it.  Well, Mary Kate laughed at me and said,"Doggie Bag? Who calls it a doggie bag?"  (All I could think was Mom does...or did...you know, years ago.) Mary said just say you want it "To Go." I told her I'm old. I didn't know.

The other thing that happened that made me feel super old too,  was with Mary.
Miss Mary Young Kate Telles was up in the bathroom at her house that I had taken over.
She looked in the shower and saw my shampoo and said, "Finesse, wow.  I haven't seen that in a long time."  I immediately laughed and said, "I know, I'm old." And I am, but I love Finesse.  The scent reminds me of being young and Mike.  Even though it was my shampoo somehow it reminds me of him.

And the last story has to do with travel, too, but with Heidi. When Heidi and I went with Erin to New York seven years ago, (can you believe it's been seven years?) Heidi had laughed at my deodorant! It was a roll-on kind.  She really laughed at it. We both did, because it was a 70's kind of thing to have.  But, the thing is I prefer it.  The solid kind feels like a big pencil eraser you could tear your paper with.  
I still prefer a roll-on kind, but thankfully Dove has updated their bottle.  It's no longer a 70s' blue, but maroon and improved, with an annoying sleek, new shape.  
After the shampoo laugh with Mary I told her about the roll-on laugh with Heidi. 
I am the old, big sister to laugh at.  Seven years older than Heidi and TWELVE years older than Mary. How awful!

All right, this is my old lady chat for the day.  I'll sit on my front porch and try to remember some more for tomorrow.
 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Old Lady Leslie this is your ole pal ole lady Catherine! And of course, we all know, now, that I am an old lady. I just didn't realzie that the rest of you knew, too! I had been living my life believing that it was my own deep, dark secret. The skeleton in my closet, not the skeleton I was wearing on my head! But, alas I was mistaken, and so now I know that you know, and you know that I know that you know that I know! I AM AN OLD LADY! But I don't have any excuse, like I'm 12 years older than Mary- I' only 21 months older! But I love your old lady chat! It's right up my alley. We should go to the beauty parlor together, and have them wash our hair with finesse and have our hair sprayed into stiff, immovable hairdos that will keep for a week. Then afterward we could go to the city for lunch and come home with doggie bags. I think it sounds like a lovely lovely day.

Okay and now for my comment that refused to take (no I was not mad or offended, evidently I'm totally inept at word verification! Which I also believe is a conspriacy, to get us all fluent in jibberish! And . . . if you cut off your hair and lost 100 pounds, you would not be the new Catherine Cute!! You would be the new Thumbelina! Or as I like to call her "Thumbelina 2000!" And perhaps I should grow my hair out and become the new La La La Leslie!

All this time, I have been thinking that I left you a funny and clever (don't like to toot my own horn, but I will just the same!) comment, and today I found out that not only am I not clever, I also don't know my letters!!! Well hopefully this will take! I have to get back to my knitting now!

Old LadyCatte

Anonymous said...

HURRAY!!!! IT TOOK!!! I FINALLY LEFT A COMMENT!!!

Leslie said...

Dear Little Old Lady Catte,
That sounded like the perfect day. I wish I could spray my hair into a stiff immovable do to last all week. Think how much time I could save. Roy told me I should just buy a wig.
Well, I hadn't realized you and Mary Kate were only 21 months apart. I know Mary always thought she was older than you since her birthday came first, but she should have realized you were really internally aeons and aeons older. You were born older. Just like George Bailey. Your internal clock has been ticking for centuries. You have grown old at a very young age only to age externally at a grandmotherly pace.
You should be proud of yourself and your elderly ways.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps we should just say that I have always been extremely mature. Doesn't that sound so much nicer than saying I'm an old lady? I think perhaps it does. But, spraying my hair into a do that will last a week does sound awfully appealing. And what's not to like about George Bailey? I am proud of myself and my elderly ways! Maybe this is why I always hit it off so well with Paul's grandparents!

Fantastic Mr. R said...

You all crack me up!
Here is another one for you Leslie:
KOTEX....as in, "I need to pick up some KOTEX."
Nobodys been calling them that since.....ummmm, did they ever?
The next generation prefers code words like 'scooby snacks' 'ladies' or just plain old 'tampies'... Don't ever stop, though. It's kind of cute. :)

Prudy said...

Hello, all. It's another friendly old lady to join your quilting bee. I aged triple time after high school. I'd rather stay home and cross stitch than see an action movie in a noisy theatre. Mary Kate has to help me get rid of old shoes because I can't even tell when something isn't in style since we southern utahns just a keep a wearin what isn't ripped, torn, or broken. I love the BBC, NPR, the dictionary and thesaurus, I only swim when it's hot and I wear a skirt, I'd rather drive a van than a renault alliance, and I only do my hair once a week for church. OH, yes, I'm old too. Check me into Shane's work.

Babs Renouf said...

Oh My darlings, what a wonderful thought provoking session. It was very therapeutic for me this morning to read of your profound ponderings. Speaking of hair, some of my friends are losing theirs, deodorant has traces of aluminum which can lead to Alzeheimer's, shoes, it's been proven they protect your feet. You are all so wonderful to me. Summer reminds me of many of our happiest times.....time is relentless. It can take all that you treasure awat so quickly. Love it all, every difficult and insane moment. It's madness but it's magic. Thoughts from Babs

Leslie said...

Dear Fellow Cronies:
Heidi, I draw the line at the K-WORD. That one is unbearable, eveb though it is the best brand.
At our house it's PAX or T-PAX.
Scooby Snacks is a good alternative, as well.
As for our old and elderly ways,perhaps we should all plan what retirement home we'll be retiring to. I'm certain we'd all fit right in with our quiet, solitary activities: knitting, crocheting, reading, writing, poetry, crossword puzzles, and sudoku. I'm sure the employees would love us. Quiet, insular, anti-social creatures that we have all become.
Good thing we got it all out of our systems when we were young.
Maybe we should all just put on our sweaters and plan on moving to Mr. Rogers neighborhood.

Anonymous said...

Hey everyone I have I a great idea! They are building a brand new, fully contained, retirement community right behind me! We should all move there! Wouldn't it be so great? And when we are all senile we could call dial a ride to take us the beauty parlor and the golden corral, and the BYU art museum where we could complain about all the young whipper snapper college students! Who's in?

MK and Co. said...

I got one more for you Les, on old lady stuff. Your Several Season's ago Brazier!That was a pretty good one. It took you a few months to commit to the new and improved bra with it's own life form, but you were finally persuaded. Oh I know the story about you and deodorant. It's one of my favorites. Well, I'll tell you I felt really old when at Jack's wedding I suggested to your older girls that I request Will Smith to dance to and they laughed and laughed. I really did not think it was such a bad idea. I also feel positively ancient when I have to go down to Cali and go up against Sister-in-laws-minus children. Thanks for the old lady chat. I'll come back after I go take my nap!

Leslie said...

Yes, the latest, and greatest new fangled brassiere from a few years back was another Classic Old Lady moment. And, also my jeans....remember. It takes me forever to get used to things. I have to keep them in my closet for a year and convince myself to wear them.
That is so funny about Will Smith.
That is total Tracy music. She loves him.
Well, I have supercute little sisters...not sisters-in-law who wear teeny tiny jeans and dresses that I can't even zip up. I told my hairdresser all about my cute little sisters with their hip haircuts, and she wants me to bring in a picture of you two.
I felt just like the big ugly step sister who needed a new haircut.