
Anyone who knows me well knows I love the story of True Grit by Charles Portis, John Wayne as Rooster Cogburn, and the character Mattie Ross.The book, movie, whiskey flask and eye patch, as well as a statue of Rooster Cogburn sits on a shelf in my room. It is one of my most favorite stories I have ever read and I loved Mattie Ross from the first page and Rooster from the moment he stepped foot on the page.
The new remake of the movie is going to be closer to the book which is told by Mattie as an old, starchy, spinster woman with a ruined arm remembering the year she hired Rooster Cogburn to help avenge her father's death. Mattie is matter of fact, direct and unsentimental but her actions are matter of fact, direct and extraordinarily sentimental. As a young fourteen year old girl determined to right a wrong, she found a man with just as much grit and determination as she had herself.
It is their relationship I love and his sense of humor and her no nonsense manner. Some of the meaningful moments in the book are when she crosses the river on her horse. She will not be told she cannot go. She climbs on her horse and swims it across the river and beats both Rooster and LaBoeuf to the other side. They do not let her come with them but she continues to follow them until finally Rooster says, "She has got the best of us." During their journey we learn more about Rooster and the kind of man he is. When Mattie is hurt and unconscious Rooster holds her like a child, drags her, carries her on his back, and ends up cutting into and riding her horse to its death to save her.
Rooster got her to a doctor and came to check on her twice but she was sick and delirous. She never sees him again but she hears bits of news about him throughout her life. Twenty five years later an article in the newspaper appears about him and she finally goes to see him. When she arrives he has died three days earlier. There was no one to claim him.
She brings his body home on a train and buries him in her family's plot and put up a $65 slab of marble too. Some day she will rest beside him. "People here in Dardanelle and Russellville said, "well she hardly knew the man but it is just like a cranky old maid to do a stunt like that. In the end she says people will talk, people will always talk but it does not matter......."I care nothing of what they say."
I read this book for the first time fourteen years ago in May of 1996. I have a journal full of notes about this story and all that it reminds me of. I was 29 years old at the time and a few days after reading it Mike and I watched it with our four kids, Dad&Mom, and Erin&Shane.
My kids were raised on this story, the movie, and the music. I'm so happy they will get to relive a little bit of their childhood when it comes out on December 22nd. And I'm so happy that a book that was and still is so important to me is being made into a movie again. I can hardly wait.




7 comments:
I should buy a hat and wear my hair in braids when I go see it. And bring my eyepatch along too since I love them both.
Yes-let's dress up like True Grit when we go to the movies. I'm so excited for the movie! I'm so glad it is getting good reviews because it would be such an awful awful waste to not make it well. Was that really so long ago since we watched that movie? I don't think I've watched it since then. I'd better brush up. Except there is no time, girls! No time to chop the chicken or anything else or even write commments, for that matter. I'll call you on my way to somewhere. Thank goodness I can talk when I drive or I would be just like Bertha stuck in the attic all day and night. Anyway, I'll call you and we'll talk about True Grit for the twenty seven minutes it takes me to get Sailor to voice and drive home. Hope you are having a good day. Today is the day that Disney is supposed to notify about that essay contest. I have my fingers crossed for all of our kids. Maybe??? I hope all or some or one of them can win. Check your email! Keep in touch. E
I have just one thing to say about this post....book club. Seriously, let's do it. Imagine we had a blog where we talked about nothing but reading all the time. We could take turns picking books and discussing them. My friend did something similar, but no one ever liked the books I chose and I usually didn't care for their picks either, but it was still fun. I think I will just keep saying book club in every comment until someone gets it rolling, or you ban me from your blog. I would do it, but you have seen my blog. I don't even have a background or anything. We need someone more tech saavy than me. For real though, let's do it!
Ohhhh... These previews looked great, and I knew nothing about the book or original movie. Maybe I should read the book before I go see it!
Erin,
Bertha was stuck in the attic but she's coming back out again. There's a new Jane Eyre movie coming soon.
It stars the girl who was in the new Alice in Wonderland, but I don't know her name.
Julie,
Book club is on the list. I'm shooting for January.
We have to see who wants to join, and even I have to commit to putting down my own books for whatever pick someone has for the month. But, yes, I would love a blog where all you ever do is talk about books.
Which, I know mine is pretty close.
Katie,
Yes, read the book, if you have time. If not, at least go see the movie. It's a great story.
I have never read the book or watched the movie but I always knew that all of you loved it. I will put the book on my list and I can't wait to read it. Maybe I'll use my Barnes and Noble card to buy it. =D And I'm so happy that the blogging book club is finally coming to fruition. =D
I BE-LOVES it, Catherine.
It was the beginning of my love of cowboy books and cowboy movies. It sent me on a John Wayne obsession and I studied his whole life, went on his boat The Wild Goose, dragged my kids down to see it, and took them to the airport to see his statue, too. All because of this book, which is what I love about books. A book can send you on a quest for information and experiences you would have never known about. And a book is a living, breathing document that grows richer with each new reading.
I suppose I should save all of this for the chapter I'm suppose to be writing about reading, but it's so much easier to pour out all my thoughts to my sister in the comment sections on my blog!
Have fun with your Barnes and Noble card.
I loved mine but have already read every book I bought. Waaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!
And I also loved your word, FRUITION, even though it had the word fruit in it.
Post a Comment