CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, December 4, 2010

The Chocolate Sheet Cake We All Love and Bake But Rarely Recognize


There has been a lot of discussion about Chocolate Sheet Cake lately, and it's pretty funny because everyone wonders what recipe they are eating, when I think we are all eating the same recipe. Anyone with a drop of Renouf blood in them loves this cake, and if they don't they should because it's divine. It's the cake we serve at every Family party, Birthday party, and Unbirthday party, which means whenever cousins, company, or companions, including missionary companions come over. It's the perfect cake anytime and anywhere, and if you learn to make it you will want to eat it anytime and anywhere. Last week I brought it to Heidi's and she wondered what kind of cake I had made. I told her it was Chocolate Sheet Cake, the same as everyone else's. She thought mine was different and I tried to convince her it wasn't, but now that I think about it, maybe it is. Maybe we all have our own variations, and somehow our own personal touches, or wooden spoons give it our own signature look and flavor.

Mom used to make Texas Sheet Cake when we were growing up, and we used to eat it at any and all church dinners, parties, or potlucks. As a kid, I didn't like it and thought it tasted rubbery. (Not yours Mom, but others. Yours was always gone first and I'd feel like crying because yours was the only kind I wanted. I'm afraid it's still the same for me at church dinners. I only want my kin's creations, or my own.) Years later I read in certain recipes that sour cream was an ingredient. I never used sour cream because I was certain that was what made it taste rubbery. I did however start using one of the recipe's in the old Seventh Ward Cookbook and loved it. It was Rose Walton's. (Who, by the way was so sweet and kind to all of us our whole lives and worked at Scott Ave. School when we were little. She also brought dinner to me after I had my babies and always made chocolate cupcakes for my little children and packed little bags of candy for them, too. So sweet, and never forgotten.) I used to make this cake on Sundays and eat it with mint chip ice cream as soon as we got home from church. Yes, even before dinner because everyone knows everyone is starving the minute church is over and dessert is better than dinner.

Then Erin, who has always cooked and baked and reads cookbooks for pure pleasure found a better recipe in The Joy of Cooking. Erin seems to have been born with innate cooking skills and she has helped all of us improve our own. Whenever she creates her own recipe or makes something delicious, or finds a fabulous recipe and improves it, she shares it. And isn't that the mark of a true artist? To share? To share what it is one creates and to give it freely and generously to others to enjoy. She has kindly and generously shared ALL of her recipes, tips, and ancient Chinese Secrets with each of us, and we have been so lucky, and so have our families. (Did you know that everyone called The Cookbook she made us years ago, "The Bible" while we were there this past Thanksgiving? Did you know that Erin? The Bible. It's that good and we all refer to it with reverence.)

So, for years we made The Joy of Cooking Recipe. Then Erin found another, better recipe which called for 1/2 c. buttermilk and that was it. Eureka! She struck pure, delicious, chocolate gold and because she shares so did we. Buttermilk is the key, and essential ingredient. And we even use it in the frosting. (Erin's idea; her super, colossal, extra- chocolately, delicious idea.)
And ever since she told us about this Chocolate Sheet Cake it is the Chocolate Sheet Cake recipe I have used ever since. Maybe the rest of you are making an imposter kind of cake and I alone, have the real-true, delicious, contest winning recipe. Somehow, I doubt that, but this is the cake I love.

The Barbara Renouf, Rose Walton, Joy of Cooking, Read Yourself To Sleep Cookbook Reading Erin Renouf Mylroie, Buttermilk Chocolate Sheet Cake.

In Mixing Bowl
2 C. Flour
2 C. Sugar
1/4 tsp. salt

In Saucepan
2 Sticks Butter
4 TBSP. Cocoa
1 C. Boiling water
Pour over flour mixture. Let sit for one minute and stir slightly.
Add
1/2 C. Buttermilk
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
Pour in greased cookie sheet and Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.

Frosting
1 3/4 Sticks of Butter
4 TBSP. Cocoa
6 TBSP. Buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 Box of Powdered Sugar.
Walnuts, if you want them and I always want them.
Heat, combine and mix in powdered sugar with a beater.
Spread on warm cake and eat right away because it's not any fun to have to wait.
Delicious. Write Erin a Thank You note. Have another piece.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Chef Boy-Ar-Dee, It is so wonderful of you to share the reason why I am 147 pounds over weight. I knew it was the BUTTERMILK!

Anonymous said...

I've just finished week one of three sugarless weeks...I may just spend the next two staring at that picture of the famous Texas Sheet Cake!!

Leslie said...

Valerie,
A sugarless week? I'm very impressed but I could never do it. Sorry to tempt you with these pictures, but when you get done with sugarless week maybe you can try and make it. It's part of our Renouf Culture.

Seth and Julie said...

I grew up hating Texas Sheet Cake. Isn't that nuts? Actually, yes it is nuts, walnuts to be exact. Glenn is famous for making sheet cake too, but he always mixed walnuts into the frosting before speading it. I don't like walnuts, and it doesn't help that they make my mouth itch for days. When I met Seth he told me he loved sheet cake too and I ignored the hint for years. I finally gave in and made it sans walnuts and suddenly it was hello Texas Sheet Cake! The icing is like fudge, but I have never added buttermilk to the icing. I will definitely try it. I like that you made it with half walnuts and half plain. That is another solution so that everyone is happy.

Catherine said...

I Love love love chocolate sheetcake. I've never made the frosting with buttermilk, but I want to try it. It sounds delicious.

I love reading how kind Rose Walton was to you and your kids every time you had a new baby. So nice. I mostly remember her at Scott Avenue and I don't think I realized until like 2nd or 3rd grade that she was in our ward! I just thought she was a Scott Avenue woman that we all loved.

Anyway thankyou for this post. And next time I make a sheetcake I will write Erin a thankyou note. Did you see on Erin's blog that Kim Hackworth requested your hot fudge recipe?

Toodles.

Prudy said...

You're giving me way too much credit. I accept! Just kidding-really-I don't deserve praise for Texas sheet cake, especially since it always annoys me that the Pioneer Woman acts like she invented the stuff. Was she in 7th ward in 1976? Huh? Huh? Ya, I thought so. She has 72,635 reasons to be famou so she should leave the cake out of it. Here is my other gripe with Texas Sheet Cake: I need it three times before I can be satisfied. If it gets made for any event, I have to make it two more times before I can get it out of my system. (Valerie-you are forewarned. That's why you are still staring at the picture. Just give up and have some two more times and move on with your sugar-plumless holiday.)
Did you know my kids call Texas Sheet Cake "Las Vegas Cake" because once you throw on a few sprinkles it looks like the colored lights of Vegas at night? It turns out we never drive through Vegas in the day so they wouldn't even recognize it if we did. And then there is Mom who refuses to call it Texas Sheet Cake because if you say it with a southern drawl, well then sheet might be confused for another unladylike word, and so she has begun to call it Illinois Big Cake. And now, as for changes to the original recipe: I have now gone back to the Joy of Cooking's method of using half oil and half butter in the cake. 1/2 cup of each to be exact. The cake stays moist and springy overnight-if you can manage to have it around for that long-if you use half oil and I can't tell any difference in the flavor. Plus, it's cheaper to use oil than butter. Try it and your cake will not dry out at all. Another addition to the frosting-sometimes I throw in a a couple of ounces of semisweet chocolate to make it extra extra extra fudgy. I know-why not just dip the whole thing in chocolate-not a bad idea. One of these days I'm going to try to make Texas sheet cake without the boiling water because they might just be the world's greatest brownies. Who knows?
Also, I know your chocolate cake could beat up my chocolate cake anyday. It's true and I humbly admit it. Sometimes after I make chocolate cake, Shane and I sit around wishing you had made the chocolate cake instead. You are loved and missed for your chocolate cake as much as for your dazzling wit and literary bedtimes. 7:53. Monday morning. Meh. Thanks for always being so kind. I lobby for the same family order in the celestial kingdom. I like having you for a big sister.

Prudy said...

Oooooh-I almost lost that big comment I just left you. I almost crawled back in bed to suck my thumb and kick the blankets in a tantrum. There it is; my comment survived. Now I can function like an adult for at least a couple of hours, but I can't promise anything after that. After all, it is Monday.

MK and Co. said...

I thought you made a different version too Leslie! Are you sure? Your frosting taste different to me. I always want to make my frosting like yours and then I call you to get the recipe and you tell me it's the same as everyone else's and then I wonder if you are smugly keeping some top secret extra chocolately, fudgey recipe to yourself. Well are you?
I love when any of my sisters make this cake and I get to enjoy several pieces because it will always taste better to me than my own. I have no time to talk about cake anymore because Davy just dumped out a bag of cinnamon toast crunch all over my floor. He is now imprisoned in his highchair so that I can clean up this sugary mess and write this comment. I love this post but it makes me miss my sisters. Can I please come over and sit down and enjoy a piece of this divine cake? Can I have a taco too?
Thanks too for your nice comments about the family picture post. Sorry it was just pictures and nothing else. It's so difficult to write because well you have met Davy. Thanks Leslie!

Leslie said...

Ohhhh, Mary,
Yes, I have met, know and seen Davey in action.
Maybe you should have him try out for an action movie!
Cinnamon toast crunch! Why do children love to pour things out all over the floor only to completely lose interest once the mess is made? Just to give you something to do I guess.
I had to write about this cake because I know no one ever recognizes it and wonders what recipe we're using.
It's just like the magic rice recipe! I wish I had some secret recipe but its really just all the old recipes glommed into one.
Glom is a mom word don't you think?. Glom and Moosh. "Just glom it on and moosh it together and it will be great, girls."
Can someone please come over and eat chocolate cake with me and tacos? Maybe for our Sister's Weekend we should just make reservations to stay in a big kitchen somewhere.
Well, Mare I love the family pictures you posted and maybe in a few more years when Davey gets that role in an action movie you'll get to write a few words.
Call me so we can talk about big messes, clean ups and what we're all making for dinner and whose recipe we're using.

Leslie said...

Erin,
I wasn't sure if Pioneer woman deserved the credit for this cake since like you said it's been around since 1972! Her recipe is exactly the same as Joy of Cooking's except for the Buttermilk, which has really become my favorite part. Now I have to try your new and improved method of half butter half oil. I missed the update. And I will definitely throw in a handful of chocolate chips to make it even better.
Mom is cracking me up calling it Illionois Big Cake.
Mom is famous for coming up with her own names for all things, I just didn't realize it included cakes too. I love how the Chicken recipe has become Holiday Chicken. I don't even know what the original name is in anymore!
I told Mary we should just check into a big kitchen on our Sister's Weekend to Chicago. Maybe the hotel will just let us stay in the kitchen. Then we can cook and eat and make whatever we want.
We could even have a Chocolate Renouf Cake Showdown. I laughed that you sit around wishing you were eating my chocolate cake after you've eaten yours. Believe me I feel the same way.
I love to come over and see what you're making.
I know every time I walk in there will be something delicious welcoming anyone who opens the door. Cookies on the counter, a cake in the oven or a batch of rolls rising. All should come and visit your house but I'm pretty certain they already do!
As for my dazzling wit, I think it's gone. All I can do is sit and try and listen but barely hear. I feel like I miss everything. I need everyone to write down what they're saying. I'm gonna start carrying a slate and some chalk.
All right, thanks for the recipe, the tips and the kind nods. Please update us on any and all additions and changes to anything delicious you make, so we can all copy it and try and make it as delicious as yours.

Leslie said...

Catherine,
I am laughing that Sister Walton was strictly a school person and not a church person. Were you shocked when you finally saw her at church and wondered what she was doing there? Could you write a post about it?
Mike felt like that about Reg Dorf. He was his Spanish teacher and he was stunned and amazed when he saw him sitting on the back row at church. I think it scared him.
This has nothing to do with anything, but a woman, Mrs. Ladhoff, Carol Ladhoff worked in La Serna's office.
Well, one Halloween we saw all the teachers and staff dressed up in costumes, and there was a lady who looked so hilarious as an Indian, and for most of the morning we couldn't figure out WHO it was. (She was very disguised.) We kept staring and staring and FINALLY it registered that it was CAROL LADHOFF and I screamed out her name in total shock and surprise! Anyway, it was very hilarious, and I can only imagine that that is how you felt when you saw the Scott Ave. secretary sitting in your ward at church. I hope you didn't scream out her name!
Also, that is hilarious about Kim Hackworth.
The recipe is really not that great. There are pure-er and truer ones out there, but it's the one I love.
"This is dedicated to the one I love" But, I really truly beloves it and so do my kids.
My visiting teacher made it for me and it's her mother's recipe. I think it's on my blog somewhere under Hot Fudgeeeyyyy Sundaes because anyone can have a hot fudge sundae but I only want Hot Fudgeeeeyyyy Sundaes. That is of course unless I'm quoting What's Up, Doc. Then I want a hoooot fudge sundae and a large bottle of diet anything!

Leslie said...

Julie,
Thank goodness I only put nuts on half of the cake when you came over. I always worry about people not liking nuts. I didn't like them at all when I was little, but now I love them, and have to have them on everything. I never mix my nuts in the frosting. I only sprinkle them on top. Same with brownies.
I love that Glenn makes Texas sheet cake. What else does he make? Is he the cook in the family?
Roy is an excellent cook, too. He can make anything and we love that about him.
I love it when a man can cook.

Katie and Mark said...

Okay I must have missed this post. This may sound strange, but I can't remember ever having tried this cake? Could that be possible? How can I have Renouf blood in my vains and NOT remember trying this? Mother-is it possible I am adopted? ;)

Well, I am not a chocolate lover first of all. Do you think this could change me completly? Maybe If I make it, I'll love it and become a newly addicted to chocolate kinda' person. I really think I may have to try it out.

Seth and Julie said...

Leslie, Glenn was the cook growing up, but no he can't really cook. He does sheet cake, chicken broccoli casserole, shepherds pie, and bean burritos. We ate out about 5 days a week growing up, but he is better than my mom. None of my grandparents really cooked either. Nonnie had her few go to recipes that were good, but that was about it and my King grandparents had nothing in their house but a bag of puffed rice cereal. They went out 3 times a day. Somehow though, most of us kids can cook okay.

And Katie, eat this cake!!! If you don't like it you are surely adopted. I am already wondering about you with the whole I don't like chocolate thing. Crazy!

Katie and Mark said...

LOL I'm gonna' try it one of these day. Truthfully though-I'm a little afraid to make my first attempt at eatting this be if I make the cake myself. I'll probably mess it up. Leslie, I'm going down to California after Christmas. Will you be around? ;)