
Today I felt like Mom when she used to staple brownie badges to Michelle&Erin's Brownie uniforms. Annie Laurie told me on Tuesday night that she had band pictures on Thursday.
Band pictures, band pictures, all right, that means money, a check and filling out forms. I can do that. But, last night she informed she has to wear her band/choir dress for band pictures. Her dress is a mile long and needs to be hemmed. I can't hem a choir dress. I mean maybe I could but I wouldn't even want to try, and there was no time. There was nothing to do but staple it together. I had Anne try on her dress, measured exactly how many inches to staple and stapled it shorter. It looked great on the hanger, but this morning when she put it on all the staples came out.
If I'd had a glue gun I would have glue gunned it together, but the glue gun was missing. I quickly restapled it back together, and Anne had to walk very slowly and carefully out to the car. She also had to wear my black heels to give her a little more heighth. Not a good combination and I left her looking worried and wishing her luck.
If it sounds calm it wasn't. The clock was ticking, the dress was falling apart, Erin Leigh was running late, and Anne also forgot her change of clothes so we had to race back home, search for those and head back out.
It was right up there with one of those plays Mom used to write and moments she used to live when your child announces they need 8 dozen cupcakes and suddenly it's your job to get it done. Anyway, that was my morning, and I hope all went well for Annie Laurie even though she was swimming in her dress and probably dragging it on the ground behind her.



9 comments:
Ugh! Those mornings are dreadful. Those kind if things normally happen to me on Mondays-my worst day of the week! Glad everyone made it through. Here's hoping for a better afternoon. :)
I got behind and was here to read comments on your last post, but while I am here...Sorry you had one of those mornings. How funny though that you stapled Annie Laurie into her dress. Surely you will all laugh about it later.
I was laughing so hard when I read this last night. I have just been trying to track down Mom to ask her what type of glue she used to glue on patches for cub scouts! I used a fabric glue but some of the patches are starting to fall off. I know I should just get a needle and a little piece of thread but ummmm..no thank you.
I loved the part where you left Annie Laurie looking worried. I know that feeling well. When I have cut bangs way too short, when I've worn mismatched socks, or any other time in my life when I've hoped that no one is looking too closely at me and my many defaults. Poor Annie. How did it all turn out? Did the dress stay together in time for the show?
Loved this post. I thought it was so funny!
Oh Leslie, Leslie, Leslie, How do I love this post, let me coun the ways!!!
This was hilarious and I had no idea that mom stapled Brownie patches to Michelle and Erin's sashes. I always thought I was the only one. Mother assured me no one would notice. And I naively believed her. Then at Brownies when we were on stage doing whatever it is Brownies do on stage, someone behind me whispered (rather loudly I might add) Hey Catherine, you're patches are STAPLED to your sash." As if I didn't know it! Then all the Brownies, instead of singing the songs or saying or pledges or doing whatever it is Brownies are supposed to do, talked and talked and laughed and laughed about my stapled patches. Good times. Tell Annie to call me if she wants to commiserate. =D HOw did it all turn out? Please do an updated post.=D
Everyone,
Yes, those kind of mornings are dreadful and thankfully when they are all over we can laugh at them.
I hate those kinds of mornings and try so hard not to ever have them! But kids always throw last minute details they forget to tell you at the last minute.
Use regular old glue guns and gluesticks to glue those patches on. Mary, you have years and years of glue-ing on patches ahead of you! THREE SONS! Do you know what Karen Arnold said when Jason, her fourth son was born?...."Another Cub Scout!"
And yes it feels terrible sometimes to watch your kids get out of the car and go when you know things are off kilter and could turn out badly. You drive away silently praying and hoping all shall be well.
And Catherine, you grew up with the toughest group of girls in the world! Why on earth would they even be looking, let alone laughing. You should have just acted like you had the smartest, cleverest, most efficient mother of all!
All turned out well for Annie Laurie. She thought it was awful but hilarious and her friends were laughing with her at the staples. She did however leave her dress downstairs and told me this morning not to forget to get that dressed hemmed!
Oh Leslie, believe you me I did. On the inside I was dying, but I just explained that my mother has ten children and limited time and that staples worked just as well as a needle and thread and took way less time. I just hope Annabelle never wants to be a girl scout, but if she does I'll explain to her from the beginning, that I'll be stapling all of her patches. =D
Catte Woman,
I'm laughing.
I PREFER the staple and glue gun method!
Thanks for the tip Leslie! I'm warming up my glue gun as we speak. Another Cub Scout. Yes that's what I have.Tell Annie that I'm so happy that she had a friend to laugh with about her office supply dress. A friend to laugh with can make all the difference in the world! But you already know this Leslie.
Post a Comment