CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, December 10, 2010

Birthday Books




This was what I bought with my Birthday Barnes and Noble card, along with a few Christmas Gifts that cannot be named.

Pioneer Woman was not on my list but I have wanted to buy her cookbook for long time and so finally did. She's funny and her life looks fabulous and her recipes look so good, but all I kept thinking when I read it is Erin needs her own cookbook.

The book, Scent of Desire is interesting and basically our sense of smell determines what we like, dislike and who we are really, really attracted to. The seat of scent is often our own biology as well as our emotions. I loved finding out why some of us need salt on our food more than others, (sodium ions within the mouth, the more you have the more salt you require) and why it is that when someone is afraid of animals and in a room with animal lovers, the animal goes straight to the scaredy cat. (Perspiration: that's what animals sense and draws them.)
(It seems so obvious doesn't it? But just because something makes sense after the fact does not mean it was obvious all along.)

All of Dr. Sack's books are fascinating and this one is also about his unusual patients and their ability to compensate and navigate the world after losing certain senses and abilities. Two of the most interesting patients are the concert pianist who can suddenly no longer read music (visual agnosias) and also a writer who loses his ability to read (alexia). The writer is eventually able to read only by writing the words in the air or by tracing the words in his mouth with his tongue. The pianist's agnosia is still progressing but she can play by ear and can identify objects by color, shape and texture. Another great book by Dr. Sacks is, "The Man Who Mistook His Wife For His Hat." (A man could see clearly but recognize nothing.) See what I mean? Fascinating.

Let's Take The Long Way Home was a book I had not heard of, but purchased and enjoyed.
Caldwell was a book critic for The Boston Globe and her book is about her friendship with Caroline Knapp, also a writer. I liked Caldwell's style, and liked reading about the respect each had for one another. I think Knapp nicknamed her The Merry Depressant because Caldwell liked her own company and required isolation and quiet. Knapp's favorite feeling in the world was Mastery. She loved to learn something, perfect it, and master it.
They each worked hard and had demanding inner taskmasters. Their name for their inner task masters were, "The Inner Marine." She also writes, " I had a friend and we shared everything, and then she died and so we shared that, too." A very good book. I was happy that I picked out something without knowing a thing about it and it turned out to be so good.

And last but not least I found some more notecards from children's literature. They are so cute and colorful and I wish they had more to choose from. Well, that was my birthday book binge, and I loved every minute of it. I only wish I had a birthday every week because I am not kidding, I could read a book a day. Well, or at least every other!

12 comments:

Katie and Mark said...

I love that you posted all your books. I'm glad you got your children's notecards too. I'll have to take a peek at those the next time I there. :)

Kaden is a HUGE bookworm, and he was so envious (in a good way. An "I love books" kinda! way) when he heard Aubrey got her birthday giftcard to B&N. He would make a good reading companion for you. He can lay in bed and read for hours! He's reading Harry Potter right now.

I have a terrible sense of smell so I wonder what your book would say about me. Maybe that's why I don't like chocolate or donuts???

Leslie said...

Katie,
That is so impressive that Kaden loves to read so much.
I always think it is so important for kids to love reading, and especially for a boy.
I used to think if you love to read you'll never be bored,
but now it's become you will be bored if you don't get to read!

I will write more about your lack of sense of smell and not liking chocolate or donuts. Smell and taste
are linked but I will write more about that when I have more time.

Let me know what you're reading, Katie, and tell Kaden I am so impressed.

Leslie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie and Mark said...

Thanks! I will tell Kaden. :)

I've been on a book slump lately. Busy during the holidays and too tired at night. I read The Hunger Games and really liked it. I really want to read the book about the Languages of Love we've been talking about. I think I'll try to swing by get it on Monday.

I also wanted to tell you a story about Brooklynne tonight. While II was tucking Brooklynne in she told me, "Can you change my name to Holly? You can call me Holly." I said, "Okay-good night HOLLY.  I love you." Then I told her, "You can call me Brooklynne." She quickly sat up and told me, "No!  You have to Mallory!  Good night Mallory!" :)

Pretty cute, huh?

Katie and Mark said...

Oh yeah! I really want to hear about the possible link of my smell and taste. Sounds really interesting. If I read one book first-which would be better? The Language of Love one? Or the smell one? :)

Anonymous said...

I think the challenge with our potential book club will be finding a book that you haven't read yet!

Leslie said...

Katie,
Mallory told me that cute story last night.
So funny. She is so smart and adorable, and clearly she saw a pattern. If she was Holly, of course you had to be Mallory. They go together.
Very cute.

Also, I would read the Five Love Languages first.
That one is interesting and I think you'll like it.

We definitely need to get our Reading Blog Club going.

Leslie said...

Valerie,
I'm laughing!
I am a compulsive reader!

Leslie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leslie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leslie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leslie said...

The deletions are all mine.
I don't know what I'm doing but it's posting my comments over and over again.