CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, December 21, 2009

The Last Question



Julie asked: Tell me about your writing background. How did you become interested? What kind of stuff have you had published? What are you working on right now?


I'm having the nicest day with my kids all home, but have not yet answered the final question. Everyone is home and I am so glad. I just finished making a big batch of pasta with marinara and bechamel sauce, and a big batch of cookies.
Everyone has been singing Santa Lucia at the top of their lungs in honor of Jacob, and we've watched a Marx Brothers Movie, and now we're watching What's Up, Doc. Jacob just walked in and grabbed two cookies and started laughing because of Eunice. The kids are on the couches in the family room laughing, and I am at the kitchen table attempting to answer the final question, and hoping Julie is still interested.

I've wanted to be a writer since I was in 8th grade. I had an English teacher who no one liked, but who was kind to me. Mrs. Eklund was severe and strict, but she was one of my favorite teachers. We were assigned to keep a journal for 2 weeks, and I had already kept a journal since I was 10 years old because my mother had us write in our journals every Sunday. If we wrote in our journal we could earn a candy bar. ( I recently wrote a story about this, sent it off to The Friend, and am waiting to see if they want it. ) My english teacher said that I could just write the two week assignment in my own journal and turn that journal into her.

When I got my journal back she had given me an A+ and had gone through my entire journal. She read everything I wrote, and commented in red ink on many of the entries. I was so surprised by this and she had me stay after class to talk to her. She had many nice things to say about the things I had written, and her kind words and encouragement have never been forgotten.

Once I got to high school, I took every english class offered. I would drop out of math classes and pick up extra english classes. I also took 2 semesters of Creative Writing at night at Rio Hondo college, just for fun. My senior year, Mike and I had an english class together, which was even funner, and the teacher always listed the names of her students who had written the best story, or gotten the highest grade on the board. She would list them from each of her classes, and the thing that was so funny and awful to me, was that she would write my name in big letters on the chalkboard under the title of, "Top Banana." Top Banana! I hate bananas. I always have and still do. Mike knew this, too, and so it was always funny to us, and a litle bit gross to me that I'd get to be the Top Banana. She was a funny teacher, and she entered a couple of my stories in contests. But, I never won!

The only thing I learned from high school, was to write and type. That's it. The rest was a bore to me, and I only got through it by propping my books up behind a school book and reading my way through classes. Some of the teachers were jerks about it and would take my book away from me for the entire day and not give it back to me until school ended, but a lot of teachers would just ignore me and let me read. Typing was the best skill I learned in high school and I spent a couple years in typing class typing away at my stories and writing sequels to Gone With The Wind which I was certain I was destined to write becaused Margaret Mitchell and I had the same birthday.

Years later, after getting married and having four kids, I went back to school. The first story I wrote, my teacher had published in the school newspaper. She also told me to submit it to some of the local papers in my area, so I did. Four newspapers picked up the editorial and published it on their Opinion Page. It was a great feeling, and it made some money, and the next thing I knew The Orange County Register had me come down and have my picture taken. They published my editorials regularly, and I continued doing freelance work with four or five different newspapers. I submitted some of my work to magazines. Grit Magazine or Reminisce magazine even accepted and paid me for my work,but in the end they didn't publish it because they thought I was older. I was 29 years old at the time.


I continued going to school for a few semesters and then had two more babies. The Littles Joined The Original Four to make a grand total of six, and suddenly there was no time for writing, only laundry. When Erin Leigh went to first grade, I started writing again, and was offered a job as a columnist for The Opinion Page of The Californian newspaper. The editor there liked my work, and hired me on. I wrote for The Californian for a year, but got tired of trying to come up with community issues to write about.


Since then, I have been working on my books, and sending out essays and editorials. I have two novels I am trying to get written. I started writing one but it turned into another one, so now I have two sets of characters and events to sort through. I've written a few community forum pieces for the newspaper without pay, and am considering returning to being an Opinion Page columnist again.


This I'm afraid is another tangent, but I think the two strongest influences on me with writing have been reading and my mother. Mom always read to us, took us to the library, and gave us our own books with something kind written in them for our birthdays and for Christmas. Mom was always writing plays for church, poetry and articles for the religion page of The Whittier Daily News. She would get her own by-line, too. Mom has always taken copious notes, written meaningful letters, and kept a number of journals. It seems perfectly natural, and a natural progression for me to become a writer.

I also have to add a word about Dad here. Dad filled the house with his books,too and from an early age told me to read the newspaper, which I did. He shared Erma Bombeck's column with me, and told me to read Ann Landers. My days at Renox were full of specific articles he cut out and posted with yellow post it's for me to read. He shared The Wall Street Journal, Newsweek, and also a newsletter full of interesting stories and funny cartoon pictures. At Renox, I was responsible for writing their quarterly Newsletter and one time I used something from the newsletter he gave me and got into copyright issues.

Erin has told me many times she thinks I have the personality of a writer from stem to stern, and I tend to think she is right. Erin has patiently read endless letters, and has always supported me and thought I could become a writer. I still have yet to really do it, but she has always believed I could.

When something funny happens Laurie always tells me to be sure and put that in my book, and Mary Kate has laughed at many ridiculous letters, too. So have Heidi and Catherine. Everyone has been a supportive audience and continues to read my hypergraphically long posts. I still carry a note with me in my wallet from Mom which has my name in large letters and underneath it, "she has a story to tell."

Truman Capote once said, "Anyone who gives you confidence, you owe them a lot." And psychologists say that the surest way to develop confidence is to surround yourself with people who love and respect you. I have had this from my family, and from my sisters.

And of course, from Mike, who I recently asked what I should do, as far as helping our family survive financially. He looked at me seriously and then quietly and kindly said, "I want you to write your book." And just hearing that, knowing that, and even writing it now, is enough to bring tears to my eyes, and leaves me thinking, "I hope I do."


11 comments:

MK and Co. said...

These men! When they speak quietly and seriously you know you had better listen. That was such a kind, supportive, and encouraging reply from your husband to your question. I agree with Mike. Tell your story and make your fortune.
I love reading your stories, letters, large note cards, posts, and anything else you might write. I have loved getting letters form you especially. Adam and would read them together and laugh our heads off. Your personality comes through so well in your writing. I love it.
I loved reading about your history as a writer. You are so accomplished......I don't know if I can be friends with you anymore. No I'm just teasing but why can't I have some mediocre sisters? All of you talented people make me rather uncomfortable.
Well Leslie, I do love and respect you a whole lot. I hope you write your book and with that I wish you every imaginable success and happiness.
(And yes your little sister can tell you she l-o-v-e you!)

TOP BANNANA

Leslie Renouf Montano!

Leslie said...

Oh, Mary! Oh dear, Well here goes: I,
l-o-v-e you, too.
(I really do. I always have. You were and are my little friend, but you were and are everyone's because you're the adorable baby.
Your comment made me laugh at the end.
Isn't that funny about Top Banana?
I have many strange banana stories.
It seems they are always somehow lurking unintentionally in my life.
It made me laugh when you listed the large note cards. I just bought some on Saturday. They are extra large and I will write you a real-receive-in-the-snail-mail letter on it.
Once, I wrote a letter on notecards to Pam and Jay, and the next time I saw them they had a present for me. It was 3 boxes of stationery.
Adam is so nice to even want to read my letters. He's the best because he laughs at everything and understands how ridiculous I am. I always laugh with him, and he catches all my nutty comments. He and I were floating around in the pool this summer with the kids, while you had to sit on the blazing hot patio with the baby, and he was a very kind audience and laughed at all my musings about just wanting to float down a river behind a steamboat in an innertube, but with a floating ice chest floating next to me in case I get thirsty baking in the hot sun.
As for talented people, I think we're just compulsive, and
I dont think you have anything to worry about at all. I have a feeling you're going to be the richest of us all.
You're going to give to the poor, remember.
I think you got the Midas Touch, Mary, and if I could have that I would turn in my pen, and my large notecards, too.
Well, I'm really hoping the next year is going to be a fabulous year. It's 2010 you know. A multiple of five, so I'm counting on it. Laurie called me tonight and told me to write down March 13th for her big 5oth birthday party.
I told her I don't even have a 2010calendar yet, and she told me, oh you'll remember it because you do all that weird numerology stuff.
I told her it was true and that I would never forget this date because it's the 13th which is 10 days from the 23rd which is her real-true birthday and it's 2010.
She told me to go ahead and remember it any way I want sweetie, but just to be there for the party.
And, also I
I hope I do get that book written, too...so that some day I really can go floating down the river, carefree behind that steamboat.

Seth and Julie said...

Thanks for taking a minute away from a whole house full of Christmas cheer to finish up your questions. I would have given you an extension. Ha,Ha!

I love that your teacher encouraged you. Thank goodness for teachers who make an effort to help kids see what their talents are.

I also only got through high school because I was in lots of drama classes. I had special permission to take 3 Senior English electives my Junior year and it wasn't because I was an awesome student. It was because I was a train wreck and they jumped through many hoops to keep me in school. I am thankful for that.

How fun that you have had all those real writing jobs. I would love to find that kind of work, I think. I also think it is more fun to just write what comes to you in the moment. That may be my biggest problem. I don't want rules or deadlines.

What kind of books are you writing? That is so exciting. I would love to hear more. What genre, stuff like that. I always joke about writing a sitcom about my family because I have never seen anything funnier on TV than what I saw in my home growing up, but a book...WOW, that is the real deal.

I am so happy that you have supportive people around you. I think that so much of who we become, or fail to become is because of the people who believed in us, or failed to.

I hope you do write your book. Believe in you, everyone else does.

I was actually all goosebumpy reading that because Seth approached me recently and said, "you have been given a talent and you need to share it." Share it or not, that love and support is priceless.

Fabulous post! I loved it. Have you seen Finding Forrester? I don't even like movies but that one just makes me bawl. It speaks to the soul of someone who appreciates writing.

Also, I meant to ask you what your favorite book is and why? But I have monopolized your blog for long enough so I will leave that for you to tell me at some future time when the mood strikes.

Thanks for playing!

Fantastic Mr. R said...

See now you have to add that wonderful comment of Mike's to your book! It's so nice and loving. What a guy.
Add me to your fan list and the waiting list for your first novel. You really are a great writer....2010 sounds like the perfect year to cross your novel off your to do list :).

MK and Co. said...

Is the real reason you like the song L-O-V-E because it just spells that word were not supposed say? Well thanks for being my friend throughout the years. I love having such kind fun sisters. I feel like Anne Shirley when people tell me that they don't have any sisters, "Oh how much you miss." Anne Shirley was talking about those who don't use their imaginations and I really don't think Marilla was convinced but you know the idea can still be applied to sisters I think.
I have to tell you I love that you can still call me your "little friend." I haven't been little for sometime but I appreciate that because I am the baby I can still be called that.
I loved hearing about floating around the pool with Adam. He was laughing all over again when I read to him about you floating behind the steamboat in an inner tube.
I hope next year is a fabulous year too. 2010. I like ten. Ten is a very good number I think. And I agree with Laurie about your weird numerology stuff. How can you keep all those numbers straight in that pretty little head of yours? I'm lucky I can even remember my own phone number.
I can't wait for you to finish your book and become super famous. But promise me that no matter how famous you become not to forget to call me on my birthday…you know Nov 5th. It is a multiple of ten so I know you won't forget. Thanks.

Prudy said...

OH, what a post. I'm not sure if I should get in my car and drive to your house and make myself a big bowl of pasta, or just write you a really long letter. Someday when you are a rich and famous author with a book on the NYT bestseller list, we'll be able to look back at this post and the genesis of a writer. YES! You are a writer, from stem to stern. You've always been Jo from Little Women; you even got the androgynous name to prove it. Nobody thinks about things in the probing, analytical way that you do. It's so nice to hear that there are teachers out there that take the time to encourage students, to light a candle of enthusiasm. And of course, mom and dad. Dad will probably buy 100 copies of your first book and mom will write a nice, uplifting and sentimental comment in all of them before she hands them out. When you are done writing your fictional novels, maybe you could write that sitcom with Julie. There's more cuckoo material among Renoufs then I love Lucy ever had. Also, Mom always says that somebody in this family needs to come up with a Christmas story after watching all the recycled holiday leftovers that make their way to TV.
Last of all, I love what Mike said. Ah, Mike. He's a top banana, too, and I'm a banana lover.

Leslie said...

I have a head full of comments, and "No time."
"There's no time girls!"
I have to run this morning because I am getting fatter by the minute eating big bowls of pasta and cream sauce.
Thank you to everyone for all of your nice comments.
Erin, please get in the car and drive here for some pasta, and please write me that big, long letter.
Mary Katie, you are my little friend. You always will be.
You and Catherine both are, and so is Heidi.
You were all my little sleeping buddies and slept in my big bed with me, and You would crawl in my bed with me just like Jacob did when I stayed at your house.
Heidi, you are a great writer, too. There are several of us who write, and I think it must be in the blood somewhere because Julie can write, too.
And I definitely think we should all pool our talent and compulsion and write that sitcom.
That comment alone, made me want to know even more about Julie.
Julie please tell us all about your sitcom experiences. The inquiring minds of all your cousins want to know. That was so nice of your husband to tell you that, too. I think you should try, and wanted to tell you to try and start with your newspaper, or buy a copy of the 2010 Writers Market handbook.
At this point all I want to do is get a book written.
Also, Erin, remember how Michelle used to always say she was going to marry a boy from the East
named Shane, and I was going to buy a beautiful house in Fullerton, but Vicki did, and then we thought Mike might lose his job and it ended up being Tracy's husband who did.....well, I think wires get crossed and confusion happens, and I always think is this what's going to happen with you and me? Ree Drummond's book made me more certain it could happen, because I've always wanted to be a writer and would love to get on the NYT list, but maybe there's been wires crossed and it's going to be you on the NYT bestsellers list with a cookbook.
Maybe I've been planning for the wrong thing to make that list.
Anyway, I thought it as soon as I saw her cookbook on there, and feel certain yours will be there, too.
Well, thanks for the Jo compliment, which I don't know is entirely true, but it's certainly fitting.
I am Birdy Jo, you know.
And, as far as Mike being top banana.........well, sometimes he kind of is.
But, why do I always have to have significant banana moments?

Leslie said...

I did not mean to write Heidi, you are a greater writer too, as in I am one as well.
No.
I wrote too, because that is what she wrote above, and I was writing that that was very nice of her to say that about me, and that she is a great writer.
I am a frustrated writer. That is all.
"That will be all, Nicholas. Go away."

Leslie said...

Mary,
I am still laughing that you wrote what was on the board so many years ago, at the end of your comment!
Sooooo Funnny......and very nice.

Katie and Mark said...

I would happily buy your book too! :) Team Leslie for sure-

Katie

Leslie said...

If I ever get it done,
I'll GIVE you one!