I've commented on Julie's answers but I've ended up going off on tangents about other subjects, so I think I'd better stick to the questions. So here we go.
Julie asked: How are your kids? Where are they all? I remember Kelly having a crush on Jacob when they were little. So cute! I remember Jacob and Jordan who were so cute that they would make anyone want two little boys. And Holly and Mallory who were still sweet little round faced babies on our last St. George excursion. All of them were darling. I have only met Erin Leigh and Annie Laurie once though so please tell me about them too.
Jacob is at BYU Idaho. He is working toward a business degree and has another year left. He also is recently engaged to Mishelle Carol who is LDS and from northern California. They are getting married in April in Salt Lake. We are all so excited for them and he will be home next week along with Holly. I'm excited and happy and looking forward to having all my kids home together soon.
Jordan lives here at home and works two jobs. He works at Ralphs' and has since high school, and also at South Coast in Temecula. He is also recently engaged to his long time girlfriend, Angela. Jordan is our rock star, and has his own band. Actually, both the boys are in bands. Jordan's the drummer in his band, and Jake is, too. Although Jake usually plays guitar. They have played and had lessons since jr. high school and their music has been great for both of them. They practiced constantly, and Jordan still comes home from work and heads straight to rehearsal. He is playing at a place called Kilarney's this weekend. It's close to us, so maybe Val or Kristen have heard of it.
I hope somebody will think this is funny because I think it's funny. I love to tease Jordan. I always have. He thinks I'm ridiculous but he always laughs. So, for my birthday I got a tambourine. I wanted one and was so happy to get it. Then I had a great idea. I told Jordan I could be in his band. I keep telling him to let me on stage, and sometimes I'll go and get my tambourine when he's leaving for a show and follow him out the door telling him I'm ready to go. I love to beg for him to let me come with him. I've been telling him that I'm just going to show up one day at his show and run up on stage with my tambourine. He thinks I'm crazy, but I love to tease him and I think it's so funny because who would want their mother running up on stage with her tambourine to be in their band! He always tells me no way, and that I'm crazy but he's laughing the whole time picturing it. I can't wait to do it. I think it will be hilarious!
On to Holly: Holly left this past August to go to school in St. George. She is in school at Dixie College, and loves it. She didn't want to go, and we had to force her to apply, but she has loved it ever since. Every time I talk to her she tells me how happy she is and that she loves St. George.
I'm too shy for facebook, (but not too shy to run up on stage with a tambourine), but I have friends who check in with Holly on facebook and report to me that she loves everything and is so happy about the day it snowed, her job, her classes and the mountains. She will be home next week and The Littles cannot wait. She has been their best friend, and they adore her.
Mallory is a Senior and busy with Waterpolo. She's played polo since she was 9 years old, and has several schools watching her. She has had a few offers and just has to decide. Her life is so busy everyday and full of polo, but she loves it. She is very serious about it, but she is very ridiculous about other things. She is always up to something, and laughing her head off with her friends. Her teachers love her, but have to put up with her, too. Just this week, her teacher told her they were not having a Christmas party. He was insistent about it, so she passed out flyers to everyone, and made sign up sheets and had a Surprise Party instead. In the end he ended up thanking her. Luckily, her teachers really like her, though she often drives them crazy. She is the littlest of my big kids, and we are already dreading her leaving for college next year.
The Littles: Annie Laurie is 11 years old and also plays and loves waterpolo. She also plays the piano and loves that as well, which is a relief because she plays all the time, and I never have to ask or demand that she practice. She also plays the flute, and plays the marimba at school. She loves The Wii, and videogames and wants to see the movie, Avatar. She is #5 in our family and can't stand that all the big kids are leaving, or gone. She likes everyone to be home and thinks it's boring if it is just she and Erin Leigh.
Erin Leigh is 9 now. My Littles are really turning quickly into big kids, but Erin Leigh loves being the baby. She knows everyone loves her, and enjoys it.
She's taking a break from polo because it's too cold and she hates to go. We have to convince her to love it and to maintain the family tradition. She prefers tennis.
She loves legos, puzzles, and cooking. She loves to clean, do dishes, and help in the kitchen. The big girls call her Juanita!
(Was that too long? I have a lot of kids, so there's a lot to report on, and Mallory just walked by and said, "You're poor cousin doesn't want to read all of that about us.")
Julie asked: Did you get the name Annie Laurie from A Tree Grows in Brooklyn? I love that book and actually wanted to name a daughter after Francie Nolan, because I think she is the sweetest little girl in all of fiction but I don't like the name Francie too much. I so badly wanted an Annie though.
I love Annie Laurie's name. I had been thinking about Laurie when I was expecting because I've always loved the name Laurie because of my sister, Laurie. I had also known the song, Annie Laurie, too. Before she was born, I read 2 books while I was expecting her. One was a book about the making of Gone With The Wind and a woman named Annie Laurie Williams was responsible for helping with the film.
The other book I read was A Tree Grows In Brooklyn. The name Annie Laurie was in this book, too and thought that it was interesting that there was that same name again. The father used to sing the song in the story, and I had known the song when I was young. I loved Francie Nolan, too, and I loved that they named the baby, Annie Laurie. I thought it was such a pretty name. So, I had been exposed to the name a few different ways and thinking about it.
I wasn't really sure exactly what we would name her because I'm the type who likes to see my babies first before I name them. But, Mike and I were sitting in Sacrament meeting right before she was born and I was thinking about the baby and what we would call her. I wrote him a note saying I think we should name the baby, Annie Laurie. We knew we were having a girl, and he wrote back that yes, that was what we would name her. I remember it seemed settled. It was as if we knew in some
way that that would be her name.
Right after sacrament meeting, Erin- my sister Erin, came up to me. We had not been sitting together. She had been a few rows in front of us and I was disappointed our seats weren't together because we hadn't had a chance to talk. When Sacrament meeting ended the first thing she said to me was, "I know what you're going to name your baby. You're going to name her Annie Laurie." I was stunned to hear her say this and showed her the note I had written to Mike.
I am not an easily convinced person, nor do I like stories of, "I had a feeling," or I just dreamt, or I just knew," but the fact that Erin knew and felt this just as we had made me think that maybe, somehow, we had, all three of us, in some way felt her presence.
So, in the end Annie Laurie was named for Aunt Laurie, A Tree Grows In Brooklyn and Annie Laurie Williams who helped with the making of Gone With The Wind.
There seemed to be a number of influences.
And, I am sure that was much more information than you wanted to know, but I think that that is the most interesting part about writing. The writing takes you where your mind wants to go, whether you were planning to go there or not. And it's always interesting to look at what you've wrote and see what your mind has been up to.
Julie asked: Tell me about your writing background. How did you become interested? What kind of stuff have you had published? What are you working on right now?
This I promise to answer tomorrow since I've written so much today.
Blog Archive
My Blog List
-
-
-
-
-
Let's Watch Conference12 years ago
-
-
-
Wise Men Still Seek Him13 years ago
-
-
-
-
Excited for YOSEMITE!!!!!!!!15 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
My Blog List
My Blog List
Powered by Blogger.
Thursday, December 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"Propriety: noun: conformity to established standards of behavior or manner, suitability, rightness or justice. See "etiquette."
-Burnsie-
Popular Posts
-
If you haven't watched this movie could you please go straight to a Red Box, find it and watch it. It was ridiculous & absurd and I...
-
Here she is. Here is The Littles new dog. They wanted one so much that we gave in and let them have one. Doesn't she look like Girlie?...
-
All right, Sisters of The Yah-Yah Club, Where are all the comments? We need to get our Quilting Bee going again. Obviously, we need better ...
-
I have a funny story about this movie, or should I say a frustrating story. For weeks I'd wanted to see this movie, but it never worked...
-
Remember how in Meet Me In St Louis Tootie says she's so lucky to be born in her favorite city. Well, that's how I feel about Fall. ...
-
These are my latest addiction. They come in a bright, red bag. I usually eat the cheddar kind in the yellow bag, but when Erin was down sh...
-
The Littles went back to school today, and were happy to return. Actually, Erin Leigh was happy and Annie Laurie was semi-happy. That's ...
-
Is everyone ready or frantically getting ready for our trip? I'm so excited to go and am looking forward to being all together. I can ha...
-
I received my legal and signed document today from my ear surgeon. I have been officially excused from jury duty for the rest of my life du...
-
Just in case anyone had any doubt, which I doubt that anyone did, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is officially my new Magnificent Obsession. ...



14 comments:
This was better than a Christmas Card! All you need to do is post a family picture at the top and save yourself the postage money. It made me feel a little sad to think how grown up your family is. I would still like to hear the Jordan and Jacob want legos for Christmas and love to sword fight and watch Princess Bride, or that HOlly and Mallory have their hearts set on Doodle bears. At least Erin still sounds little. Everyone sounds so talented and ambitious and grown up.
I loved reading about Annie Laurie. I remember well that day that you decided on her name. I teased you because you and Mike seemed so exclusive and you seemed so cooperative. I think pregnancy does that to a woman, don't you?
As for Tree grows in Brooklyn, Heidi and I used to volunteer at a children's shelter twice a week during our BYU days. The house was disgusting, but it did have a beautiful library. One day I found the book A Tree and I spent the whole morning reading. Meanwhile poor Heidi had to babysit all the troubled children alone since I couldn't and wouldn't put down that book. Poor Heidi. I talked her into volunteering with me, then I turned into a very poor volunteer and she has evolved into Helper Heidi, the best volunteer of all. And now my kids are leapfrogging in the middle of math. I really shouldn't turn my back but it's tempting to escape for a minute or two. Back to math now.
Mallory, I did want to know all of that about you guys. I would have read more if there'd been more offered.
Leslie, Thanks for filling me in. It sounds like your kids are turning in to beautiful people. I can't believe you have two daughter in laws on the way. How fun!
I hope you do one day crash one of Jordan's shows with your tamborine. I would like to see that.
I am too shy for Facebook too, but I am glad you have recruited some spies to watch after Holly.
And yay for Mallory for all the schools that are after her. Keep me posted! I would love to hear where she ends up. I would say to send her to the Midwest, but somehow I doubt Waterpolo is big out here at 40 below.
And thanks for introducing the Littles. They sound like such a lovely finish to your family.
Also, thanks for filling me in on Annie Laurie's name. When my mom first told me her name when she was born I had wondered if it was inspired by A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I finally found out! Of course I figured it was after Laurie, but I wonder if there was more to the story.
My baby was supposed to be Annie. I teased Seth after we had the first two whenever he would tell people we were done having kids. I would say, "But what about Annie"? I had a vision of a little curly haired blond girl with brown eyes and she was supposed to be my baby. Chloe was very close to being Annie, but she ended up being Chloe Ann instead. See how clever Seth was, he used Ann so that I wouldn't keep bugging him for an Annie.
Oh, and I agree with you about writing. I know that I should sometimes go back and edit my posts to make them more concise, but I like to see my train of thought unfold on paper.
Oh Erin,
if that makes you sad, think how I feel! I was so lucky to have 2 little boys, and to have them right next to each other.
No one had had any boys, and suddenly I had two. I loved their train days, and blocks, and taking them to The Wee Loft Toy Shop.
I wish they were still little and we could be part of The Train Club, which really meant driving to the Brio shop on Friday for a new track, or car for their train sets and then coming home with Mc Donald's and putting them together and playing trains all afternoon.
I wish Jordy was little and sucking his thumb with his "wubby."
The boys know I wish they were still my little buddies, but I think they're very happy to be men and grown up and not having me dress them in delicate little sweaters and Christopher Robin buckle shoes & sandles with socks.
I still have a great time with them, and I love to tease Jordan, and Jake and I have the exact same kind of humor and laugh at everything together. Jordan does too, actually and loves ridiculousness.
I wish they were all little. And, that was so nice of you to search high and low for Doodle Bears for Holly and Mallory. They HAD to have a Doodle Bear and even their Aunt didn't want them to be disappointed.
I was laughing so hard at you reading A Tree and deserting Heidi because you were so absorbed in the book. Books are dangerous for Renouf Girls because we'll ignore everyone around us to read.
No one ever wants me to bring books to the lake or the pool because I won't say a word to anyone.
Poor Heidi, got stuck with the helpful position. I always feel bad because everyone expects it of her. I think she should try for a new job title since she has her hands so full with four little kids. From now on let's give her a break and just let her be Hilarious Heidi so she can entertain everyone instead of helping everyone.
Don't forget about Hatchet Heidi.
Julie,
Thank you for being interested in everyone. I felt like you did when you were answering all the questions and kept wondering are you sure anyone will be interested.
I will reassurre Mallory that you didn't mind reading about all of us.
When I do crash Jordan's band I will be sure to post pictures.
I am way too shy for facebook, or at least too private. I'm really not a supershy person, but I am a little private....but, I prefer the word mysterious. In one week, 3different people told me I was mysterious and shrouded in mystery, and I couldn't help but think they were kind of rirght.
My friends know this about me, so they give me facebook updates so I don't have to join.
I always love when someone recognizes Annie Laurie's name and knows it from the book, poem or song.
I always wanted to name my kids after the books I've read.
Jordan's name came from Giant, as does mine. Holly was suppose to be Holy Golightly, Mallory was going to be Mallory Morningstar, Annie Laurie was almost Mattie Ross Renouf Montano, and Erin Leigh was nearly Christmas Morgan.
Jake was going to have another name as well, but that will have to remain silently and mysteriously with me.
The kids are relieved I didn't name them their literary names, but I am rather sad about it.
I lose, my feisty-ways, and sharp edge completely when I am pregnant.
I think Erin referred to this above.
I become docile, passive and completely unified with my husband.
He loved it when I was going to have a baby, and if you discuss this with him, it will show and you will know it's true because his eyes get all glittery and shiny like he thought I was wonderful!
I lose all my gumption and nerve and that's why my kids do not have their real-true-literary-names!
The minute I have the baby my true nature comes forth and I am just as feisty as ever. And, I truly believe it's because for 9 months I am marinating in estrogen!
I also think Annie is the cutest name. Maybe you could call Chloe,
Chloe Annie from now on.
Your kids are so cute, and I love your posts about them. The picture of Alex as a baby with the Teddy Bear was so funny, and so were the pictures of The Disneyland couple waiting in line for Santa.
Thank you for reading all of my answers and for letting me ask so many questions of you.
I loved that your Mom joined in yesterday, and I'm so glad we're all getting to be blogging friends.
Erin,
I know you remember that day in Sacrament Meeting, too.
It was so surprising and interesting, and something from beyond seemed to be affecting us.
Normally, I wouldn't say something like that, but you were my witness and knew that clearly something had occurred.
You and I have had a few moments like this, but I always think you pick up on these things because you're a very holy person.
You are a very funny person, too but you are also a very holy person.
I know you are a very good person and aware and sensitive to things.
Now, me, well, I am a terrible person, but I am the bookish and sensitive type so that's why I am aware and sensitive to things, too.
hahahahhahaaaaa
Anyway, it was a moment we shared, and I think we will always remember it.
Oh I loved reading everyone's answers. Thank you for them. I was cracking up about Doodle bears and the toy shop and just remembering your kids when they were little.
Oh how I loved them. (I love them still..) I have always felt so much more comfortable with children than with adults. I loved taking Jordy and Jake on our "Free Willy" first date and Holly used to come up to high school with me all the time. And the biggest thing I worried about going away to college was that I would miss Mallory growing up.
Oh and the Littles...we all wanted to adopt Annie Laurie as ours and who couldn't love Erin Leigh, she is such a happy, laughy smiley thing.
Yes, I'm a big fan of the Montano children (and the parents, too). Everytime I read about you stuffing kleenex in your eyes, it makes me smile and tear up at the same time.
Anyway I love hearing your answers and hearing your thoughts. Hope all is well..and I can't wait for your next installment.
ps..Sadly, I feel like I have to retire my 'helper Heidi' jersey for a few years...whenever I come to visit, I feel like I need to follow my kids around with a Disneland sweeper-mechanism cleaning up their insane messes. "There is no time" to help anyone else sadly, but I promise to help again someday....
off to help baby now...
H
I've been chuckling for five minutes straight, picturing Heidi in a crisp white pant and shirt combo, sweeping up after her kids, Disneyland-efficiency style, one scoop into the handy swing action dustpan, with a little spring in her step and some old fashioned Main Street music playing in the background. Oh, it's too funny. Nice try, but you're still Helper Heidi. Say, if you really want to be helpful, you could lend me that baby of yours for a couple of years. West just asked again yesterday why we couldn't just adopt Sunny. He's got it in his head that he wants her for his own.
Oh, Heidi!
Thank you for your sweet comment.
You were and are so good to my kids.
I love that you took my boys on their first dates.
Can I please take Reeve?
Can I have dibs on Reeve and West?
Maybe they should both go with me together. West might be nervous.
I sat by him in the car recently and teased him, and he sat there very stoicly and then put a sweatshirt over his face because I was embarrassing him with all my compliments! He may need Reevey to ease the awkwardness.
And I know if Reevey comes we'll laugh at all his funny lines.
Do you know that I love that Reeve was the first one of all the little nephews and nieces to call me Les.
I love that he was just so at ease and familiar with me that he could just call me Les like we were great friends and had known each other forever.
I am sure we did.
Did you know I'm a little territorial about people calling me that? It's my childhood name that only Grama and Dad called me.
Whenever someone calls me that at church who doesn't know me especially well, I feel a little annoyed inside and silently think,
you do not know me well enough to call me that. But, if someone I like surprises me and calls me Les then it brings out a response in me like hearing a good compliment.
Anyway, that's how it felt when Reevey called me that. I love it and think it's adorable, and have even thought maybe that is exactly what I will have my grandkids call me.
I know you know I cry about everything, so I was happy to read that your eyes were filling up with tears, too.
And, yes, please retire that "Helper Heidi, jersey." No one should make you do any help because you've been doing it for years. "It's time," and we have all benefited and appreciated your helpfulness, but you have lots of little kids and help them, daily, so it's time for your retirement.
I wish I could buy you a Disneyland badge and a sweeper thing and a broom.
That was so funny, and I was laughing as hard as Erin.
As for Sunny, we are all in love with Sunny.
Especially Mike!
Thanks again, for your kind comments, today.
I never know if everyone comes back to read the comment section again and again, but it's what I do. I've always loved penpals!
Also, can I please take Jacob, and Adam and little Paul for their first dates, too?
Maybe we could find dates for all of them.
Erin and I could double.
Wow, that is such a cool story about Erin guessing your baby name right after you decided it! I am also interested in hearing about your kids and remember the older group.
South Coast is a gorgeous place, I know a guy who also works there. I have also heard of Kilarney's too. What brought you guys out this way? Are you the only one of your siblings living in California? We have been in Temecula for a year now and I LOVE it!
Val,
We should hang out, go to lunch, do something.
Who do you know who works at South Coast?
I'll ask Jordan if he knows him/her, too.
We've been her for 9 years. We drove out one day, and loved the area. It turned out to be a strong LDS area, too, and we had had no idea.
We've loved it out here. Laurie's in Temecula, Roy's in Lake Elsinore and Lisa is in Riverside, so a few of us are still here.
I'm glad you love it, here. Where abouts are you?
I never know if the comments get checked again, but I hope you'll read this.
We live on Rancho California and Margarita road (near South Coast and wine country). I work sometimes at a fine dining restaurant called Frankie's and there is a server there named Shawn who also serves at South Coast. What does Jordan do there? It seems like a good place to work!
Wow, I didn't know so many of you were still out here. We should get together sometime.
Oh, I am glad you checked back.
We used to live on Rancho California and Margarita Rd.
We lived in the Portofino Apartments for 5 months before moving into our house.
Are you close to that at all?
Jordan is a bar back at South Coast. It's not exactly what we had in mind for him, but he loves it and is doing well there. I will ask him if he knows Shawn.
I will have to figure out where Frankie's is.
Also, does your Mom get out to see you very often?
We should try and get together. I'm so glad you like it out here.
When we first moved here we thought it was so......far!!!!
Post a Comment