I felt annoyed and know that this is because I come from our father who I've never seen in bed at 7:30 in the morning. In fact, I don't think I have ever seen Dad in bed, in the morning. Ever. Not that Mike is Dad, or should be expected to behave like Dad, but there is something ingrained within me that likes to see my man up and going before I am because of it.
For the most part Mike is usually up early in the morning. He runs three or four times a week and is generally out the door by 7:00 AM. I think what annoyed me was the "You" statement,
"Why didn't You wake me up?" as opposed to saying, "I slept in." Any time anyone gives me a negative "You" statement it brings out the fighter in me. (Sometimes the real fighter, but always the silent fighter.)
So our morning went on and I took the kids to school. On my way home, I saw Jordan driving out on his way to work. I honked, stopped, backed up, and told him to be ready to go at one o'clock to have his picture taken for the family picture he wasn't in, but will be photo shopped or cropped into. He seemed devoid of any feeling and looked at me and said, "Whatever," then rolled up his window and drove off.
I have been trying to nail this kid and the photographer down for weeks to get this picture taken. It's been a frustrating game of phone tag between he and I, the photographer in California and I, and the photographer in St. George and I. I left several messages for Jordan on his phone yesterday and one this morning as well, asking him to please return my call only to see him driving by me without a word.
After passing Jordan, I saw Mike leaving. I pulled over to talk to him and to tell him to have a nice day and I got, "Did you take the newspaper?" I told him that yes I did and that it was there with me in the car. He said, "Don't throw out the sports section. I told him I wouldn't, but then he said, "You know what, give it to me right now." I said, "It's in the back seat." Then we both stared at each other because we were both driving, we were both seatbelted, and neither one of us wanted to get out and get it. He finally said, "Just forget it," and drove off without another word.
That was my morning. I didn't even see him yesterday because he and Mallory went to the Boys Water Polo game, and The Littles and I were in bed asleep by the time they got home. No, "Hi, hello, how was your day, how are the little kids, have a nice day", no anything, just, "Why didn't you wake me up? Did you take the newspaper, and Forget it."
So I came in the house thinking, 'jerks. I live with a couple of jerks.'



14 comments:
I thought I should mention that shortly after writing this post both of the jerks called and
said they were just in a hurry and didn't mean to be what they sometimes are.
LOL you crack me up! Some mornings/days/months/years are just awful! I am glad they both called! :)
umm. . . uhh . . . oh dear. uhh. . . I love you, Leslie. Bahhh!
3 comments already!
I hope everyone's laughing.
I realize I'm a jerk, too but they were this morning.
Should I delete that last comment? You won't punch me in the stomach, will you?
No, no, keep it I love it.
But, Roy would sock you in the stomach for it.
I am sorry you are having a jerky day. I guess you could change the locks or something dramatic. Makes me wonder if I am the jerk of the morning sometimes, I guess I probably am. Dang it!
Bad mornings are the worst...it seems impossible to recover on such a day. Maybe you should just go back to bed and start over.
I can't stand those mornings when I spill everything, drop everything, trip on everything, stub my toe or elbow on something, and break everything....well maybe I'm just a klutz, but those mornings always send me into a bad mood, and I wish I could go back to bed like Toad (frog and toad).
Hope your day improves after you wake up again :).
ps...I've been reading east of eden...wanna join me?
Good night.
Just kidding.
Actually, the day has been just fine. It's kind of nice to go in the house and have everyone busy doing what they're supposed to, and have the house to myself. It's really not so bad.
I don't know that I would like it that way permanently. I would be sad knowing no one was coming home after school, but it's nice to have a few hours to myself.
Anyway, I shrugged the two of them off after writing, and have had a very nice day, writing, thinking, cleaning. I think those are the only talents I have and not necessarily in that order.
And yes, I would like to read East Of Eden with you, so we can talk about it with Julie.
When we get done with that can we read or watch Misery together too?
(You should write about that. It's so funny to me, and it has cemented us together in fear and trepidation.)
Unfortunately I am usually the jerk in the morning. I really just want to get myself ready and my tasks started for the day but there are so many children you know. And they all have so many needs in the morning..afternoon..
...night....middle of the night. That's how I feel on a bad morning.
I need to wakeup earlier and I convince myself every night that I'm going to wake up really early the next morning but then morning comes and I'm tired! I have Night Girl completely convinced of the benefits of waking up early and she makes all kind of resolutions but only to have Morning Girl ruin them all. That Morning Girl! I'm going to have do something about her! I'm hoping that when I no longer have a wakeful (VERY) nursing baby that I will do better. I hope so.
I'm sorry about those jerks. I'm glad they called. They should send you a box of tacos or something though.
I hope tomorrow you have a great sunny, happy morning filled with chirping birds and cheerful people. (Well maybe without the birds)
I am so glad I am a comment stalker today because I feel the need to warn you about East of Eden. It started a war on my blog once. If you read the comments from a post called Haters Beware (from June 2009, can be found in archives on my sidebar)you will see that my recommendation caused my brother in law to say he lost his innocence. Yikes! I didn't mean to be responsible for that. I think it is the most beautifully written illustration of who we are as human beings. He is not crude or profane. There is only one scene that I thought was a bit more graphic than was fully necessary. I argued my case in those comments on that old post but there may be some spoilers in the comments so tread lightly. I just don't want to ruin anymore lives with a simple book.
Let me know what you think. I am always happy to talk Steinbeck.
Mary, Morning noon and night is right. That's how it is when you have a lot of little kids.
I used to go to bed and tell Holly, "Don't you wish the night could last all night?"
I understood that it does but meant don't you wish it could last longer? Sometimes it feels like it's over in 10 minutes and it's time to get back up and get ready, put the house together, and do everything you did yesterday, again, and again, and again.
I laughed about Morning Girl and Night Girl. I love to get up early and get a jump on the day, but my bed never feels better than in the morning. It feels good at night, too and it makes me think of what my old friend used to say.
She said she'd finally get in bed after a long day with six kids under the age of 11 and think, "Ohhhhh why didn't I get here sooner."
I hope I have a nice, cheerful happy, bird chirping kind of morning tomorrow, too. I'm sure I will, but know I can never hear birds chirping. I barely hear the alarm clock and that's only two feet away from me.
But, it won't matter because tomorrow's Friday, the most cheerful, chirpiest, wonderful day of the week.
Julie,
I love comment stalkers. I am a comment stalker.
I am anxious to read East of Eden.
I love books that people have strong opinions about. I also love to read someone's favorite book because I think it tells something about them.
I'm also anxious to read your Haters Beware post, too, but I may have to wait because I like to be surprised.
Tell me what else you like to read.
I'm always interested in what people are reading.
Post a Comment