CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Night Jacob Wore His Wolf Suit

I know the story of Where The Wild Things Are almost entirely by heart from reading it to Jacob and Jordan so many times. All my kids have loved this book, but Jacob loved it most and I always had to read it with Jacob's name instead of Max's name. Last year for Christmas I gave Jacob this Hallmark ornament because it is his story. I also called him last Friday when the film came out because Where The Wild Things Are will always remind me of that little, serious, boy of mine who liked to pretend he was Max.

I have yet to see the movie, but I recently read interviews of Maurice Sendak in Newsweek and in the newspaper. He's a cranky old curmudgeon, but very interesting. When asked what makes a good kid's story he said, "How would I know? I just write books." His response to parents who think The Wild Things movie might be too scary was, "Go home."
In the documentary on Sendak called Tell Them Anything You Want, Sendaks advice was, "Quit this life as soon as possible."

One of Sendak's favorite scenes in the book was interpreted differently in the movie. In his book it was important that Max stayed in his room. "It was so much about the ability of children to imagine themselves in another place. By his imagination he was able to get through those few hours where he was isolated and trapped," said Sendak. He also described children as complicated creatures who can drive you crazy.

Clearly this man is an artist who created a lasting, memorable book. There have been mixed reviews of the film, but I'm looking forward to seeing it. When I do, I know it will remind me of my children, their childhoods, and of Jacob. Of a time when I was his mother reading to him at bedtime and traveling "through night and day, and in out of weeks and almost over a year to Where The Wild Things Are."

6 comments:

Leslie said...

Has anyone seen the movie, yet?

If you have Shuuussssshhhhhhhhhh, don't tell me anything about it. I like to be surprised.

Leslie said...

I want to see the movie Bright Star, and The Invention of Lying.
Did anyone see 500 Days of Summer?
I wanted to see that again, and now it's gone.
We should open a theater that shows everything 500 times.

Leslie said...

What happened to Friday Favorites?
This isn't exactly a Friday Favorite, but new movies come out on Friday, and it was Jacob's Favorite, and I called him on Friday.

Do I need to post a schedule on the blog in yellow paper and blue ink?
Come on man, you're bringin' me down!

Catherine said...

I'm here! I'm here! I didn't get to Friday Faves, but I loved this post. I thought it wasso sweet. Haven' seen the movie, I think my kids wold be too scares, but I'll watch it when it's on video.

One handedly yours
Catte

MK and Co. said...

So Sorry Les! But it really seemed like it was another "there's no time girls!" Besides I was super busy this Friday with planning my pretend vacation to Aruba. Anybody want to come? Catherine already said she would come with me.
Who knows if I'll ever get to go someday but it was fun to plan and pretend. Where would you go Leslie on a pretend vacation?
Oh! I loved this post by the way. But it made kind of sad though. I couldn't help thinking about Little Curly-head Jacob. He was such a sweet baby. And so beloved really. You tell Jacob that Jack, Catherine, and I are the original founders of the "Jacob Montano Fan Club". We really were! We used to write fan mail. And tell Jacob I’m still a member of that club!

Leslie said...

Oh your comments made me laugh. I remember the Jacob Montano Fan Club. I probably have your letters still in his baby book. Oh, Little Jacob....*sigh*

I was teasing about everyone and Friday Favorites to be funny. I thought you would laugh at the line,
"Come on man, you're bringin' me down."

I know everyone's busy, and I'm restless with the unknown and this sense of drift, so I'm channeling it into a lot of posts.

Where would I go on vacation? How about back to Italy with everyone. That sounds like fun to me.
I loved our day by the fountains and on the Spanish steps, eating gelato. How about anywhere? The Littles are screaming at each other and fighting over the couch, so anywhere other than here sounds Fabulous. What was it that Maurice Sendak said about children......complicated creatures who can drive you crazy! The Littles are doing exactly that more and more often.