CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Lucy and Ethel's Hostess Pants

I saw this picture on Erin's blog so I had to post it on mine since it is one of My All Time Favorite episodes. Ethel's reaction to the pants Lucy picked out is hilarious. Her laugh alone, makes me laugh hard. Ethel holds the pants up, inspects them, and then very slowly begins to laugh, and then her laugh becomes louder and harder because she thinks the pants are so ridiculous. What is so funny is that Lucy has picked them out for Fred. It is his gift to Ethel, but she is unaware of this and doesn't mask her response in front of Lucy. Lucy tries to convince Ethel that they are "chic" and that she could wear them with a "big, crushy belt, and ballet slippers" when she gives "Hostess Parties". Ethel says something about the person who picked out the pants having all their taste in their mouth, and then Lucy says something about Ethel having the biggest potamus she's ever seen.

Lucy is always funny, but my favorite episodes are when when Ethel is funny. I love this episode, the Albuquerque episodes, and the episode with Cornel Wild when Ethel has to keep Ricky busy by telling him her cake recipe.

I love Ethel because she is the kind of friend you want to have your whole life. What made her so funny is that she would do anything. Whatever crackpot idea Lucy came up with, Ethel would do. She would fret about it, but then she always did what Lucy wanted. One of the rules of comedy and improv is to always say yes. And Ethel always did.

A few years ago I bought my own pair of Hostess Pants. My pants are black with colorful embroidery, and came from Talbots. This funny friend I have laughed at them and teased me about them, which made me laugh very hard. I told her I loved them and that the reason I bought them was because they reminded me of Lucy and Ethel's Hostess Pants. I still have them, too. They're hanging in my closet. I've just never worn them since.

Actually, I'm teasing. I've worn them many times since, but whenever I do we always laugh because everyone know's they're my Hostess Pants. And when I wear them I think of Lucy and Ethel, two of the funniest women on television.

7 comments:

MK and Co. said...

Malcolm Gladwell would be so pleased to see you applying ideas from his book into I love Lucy. It is true though. I had never really thought about it but Ethel is so funny because she always has to go along with crazy Lucy. It's amazing how just having one friend to get through difficult moments with can make it all seem hilarious. Like a really long play for instance. It's never half as funny if you're alone. Good Morning Leslie dear!

Leslie said...

That was the greatest seating arrangement that could have ever happened to us! We had so much fun at that play. I want to sit by you through every play we have to attend from now on.

Mary, I didn't even realize I was applying Malcolm Gladwell techniques. I thought it was my own dissection, obsession, and over analyzation method! I loved his chapter about improv and comedy teams, but of course I couldn't find it.
It wasn't marked in my book because I've been LISTENING to his audio book. 8 Cd's for one book and you cant' mark the cd's, write notes on them, or doodle on them. They're too shiny.
Wouldn't you love to meet Malcolm Gladwell?
"Hello, Malcolm how have you been? I feel like we're already friends you know, and I know everything about you. Would you like to meet Jan. Oh, you don't know Jan. Jan Crosby, David's wife.
I know everything about her, too. But, it didn't get me too far backstage."
Bahahahahaha!
If you have a buddy to laugh with through anything, it makes everything really better.
Thanks for being my little buddy through The Sound Of Music. It was the funniest night, ever, and I owe you a $thousand$ dollars for staying through the whole show!
All right, I'm glad you're reading along, and typing one handedly on your keyless keyboard.

Leslie said...

Remember we had such a good time at the saddest play on earth, Les Miserable? Remember we were eating Haagen Daas ice cream with Michelle and reading the program and laughing.
We really should attend plays more often together.
Could you please check the Tuacahn (spelling??)
schedule? Be sure to pick out the longest one.

Leslie said...

Also,
Catherine called me this morning at 7:41, and the first thing she said was,
"Hello Ethel."

It made me laugh. We couldn't stop laughing the whole time, and I had to hang up because I had to do hair!!! The Littles' hair. Mine was already done.

Did you know a hairdresser told Annie Laurie it wasn't normal for a child her age to have so much hair!!!!!!!
hahaha...at our house it's perfectly normal.

MK and Co. said...

Still one handed! Those nights at the plays were so fun! And of course your hair was done. The rest of the world sleeps on but all is well because Leslie's hair is done!

Prudy said...

Guten morgan. I had forgotten about your hostess pants. yes, please wear them again. I think I like the comments every bit as much as the posts. Annie Laurie's hairdresser's comment was hilarious. I'm so glad to day is Thursday; the week is almost over!

Leslie said...

Prudy,
Good mornin'. (Erin Leigh sings the cutest song all about Gute morgan.)

I think the comments are better than the post. That's the fun part.
I'm so glad you're reading along, and I thought that was hilarious about Annie's hair, too.

I'm sort of glad the week is almost over. I prefer the week to the weekend. Schedules and regimentation, you know!
Anyway, I'm excited for your contest. You're on a lucky streak again and I'm sure you're going to win.