

I saw this movie a few weeks ago with The Littles. We all liked it and thought it was a fun movie. Julia Child was such a character and so was her sister and her husband. My favorite scene in the movie was when Julia and her husband were waiting for the sister to arrive and Julia was afraid she would miss her. Her husband told her,"How can you miss her, she looks just like you." The two sisters were so similar and had such a good time together, and Julia's husband had a good time just watching them together. It reminded me of Erin and Mary Kate walking down the street together eating popcorn when someone driving by stopped to ask them if they were sisters. Another funny scene was when Julia and Dort (Dorothy) were getting ready to go out, and Julia looks in the mirror at their reflection and says, "pretty good...............but, not great!"The movie showed her restlessness and her need to try new things and find her niche. She even told her husband, "I need something to doooooo." She was met with disapproval and discouraged by teachers. She didn't let that stop her, and there is a funny scene when she had difficulty chopping an onion only to buy pounds and pounds of onions for practice. Her husband couldn't even enter the kitchen without crying from so many onions. She and her husband Paul seemed very happy together, and they both loved Europe, eating, and each other.
The story of Julie was also interesting. Although, too many of Nora Ephron's characters seem the same. Amy Adams just seemed like another version of Meg Ryan, as did Nicole Kidman in Bewitched. They sound the same, look the same, and act the same. For once, I wish they'd find a dark haired girl with dark eyes for the lead in one her movies.
I loved the husbands in this movie. They were supportive, kind, smart and reliable. I always like a movie when the husband is helping the wife on her way to success. (Coal Miner's Daughter; masculine man, reeeeaaaaaally masculine man, good dad, occasional jerk but solid and sustaining, too. And well, ya know, it's Tommy Lee Jones!)
I also love that Julia's kitchen and pots and pans are in The Smithsonian Institute. And Meryl Streep, the most malleable actress of our time, has done it again. So when you get a chance, see it, rent it, buy it, watch it, and memorize it. And then when you get a chance, we'll blog about it.



5 comments:
I can just imagine your face when you say "reallllly masculine." Like it's the best thing in the world. Drat! The baby needs me again..and again...and again. Be back later I hope!
It is!
This movie was fun. It's already gone, and I wish I could see it again. I only like to see movies in the theater. I rarely watch a movie at home, but I will sit down in a theater and watch one.
Everyone has babies and littles so I haven't even talked to anyone who has seen it.
If I lived there, I would have made everyone go with me. I'd make all of you go everywhere.
I did miss that one! I will have to rent it on Redbox.
As for getting dragged along somewhere, it sound wonderful! Somewhere-ANYWHERE-as long as you are with a sister, Aunt, Mother, any family! I miss living near family! I would let them drag me through the mud, if it meant we lived close enough to do so. :) *sigh*
Katie,
That was funny...letting them drag you through the mud. And I liked the *sigh* at the end.
I've been dying to see this movie. I will definitely be renting it. I didn't know that this was a Nora movie. Or bewitched. But I completely agree with you, Nora needs to branch out. I'm dying to see "Hanging Up" now that I know it's loosely based on her life. The story of how her mother died was so, for lack of a better word, fasinating, that I want to know more.
Post a Comment