CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, October 4, 2009

I GOT BACKSTAGE!!!!!!!!











I got backstage! Really and truly!

Mike and I took Mallory to see CSN because I read a rock magazine article on Stephen Stills which said he was losing his hearing, and suffering from severe tinnitus. He could lose his hearing, and I thought we better take Mal to see CSN while they can still perform together.

The 3 of us went on Saturday night to The Greek Theatre. The last time we saw CSN play was 10 years ago, so it was great to be there and to see and hear them perform. I love that they came from different bands and formed CSN, and CSNY. Their music is diverse because they each have distinct styles. Their harmony is amazing, and so are their lyrics. Stills writes the best songs. They surprised us and played some of The Stones music and The Grateful Dead's, and they also played music from Still's band before CSN, The Buffalo Springfield. My favorite songs of the night were Rock and Roll Woman, and Southern Cross.

We were some of the last to leave because Mike stood in line to buy Mallory a shirt. The next thing I know I see people wearing blue stickers lining up along a railing and entering a building.
I immediately said, "They're going backstage and I move to go with them. Mallory was so surprised and kept saying, "Where are you going?" I told her to come on, they are going back stage, and to let's go. She hung back and then I saw Jan! I recognized Jan and said, "That's Jan. Come on!" She still wouldn't really come with me, and I said, "That's David's wife! That's Jan!"

The next thing I know, I'm in line, and Mike and Mallory are lingering behind me, and all I can think is, 'I'm going in, with or without them. I'm going." And I did. I got in.
I shuffled my way in with a group of people, but I could hear Jan saying as I walked passed her, "Now who is this? I don't think she's suppose to be here." When I got in I just kept walking. I saw CSN in the next room, standing there talking. I kept going until I was within 20 feet of them. It was crazy. I felt like I was in a dream, and I just kept walking toward them, even though I could hear Jan saying, "How did you get in here? Are you suppose to be here? I don't think she's suppose to be here."

Finally, I kind of came to my senses, and turned back around , and she asked me the same thing again. It didn't even dawn on me to lie to her. I told her, "No, I'm not and that I had followed a group of people in wanting to know where they were going." She kind of laughed at me and she shook my hand, and I told her to tell David, I love him!" Then I had to leave. Mike and Mallory were waiting for me and were incredulous.

Then the shock wore off, and I had to scream, and tell them I saw them, I saw CSN, I was 20 feet away! (I felt just like Lucy when she kissed Bill Holden!) They couldn't believe it, and Mallory acted like I was crazy and that she didn't even know who I was, which was even funnier to me than anything because she got to see a glimpse of me out of Mom mode, as a young me.
Mike couldn't believe it, and I made him feel my heart because it was pounding so wildly. "Can't you just feel it pounding?"

Afterward, I was immediately filled with regret. I don't know why I didn't get down on my knees and plead and beg to let me meet them. I don't know why I didn't just shout it out that I've been singing their songs since I was 10 years old. I wish I would have thought of this when I was shaking Jan's hand, but I didn't. It all felt like a dream.
All I know is that it was thrilling, exciting and fun. It felt like I was 16 years old!


14 comments:

Leslie said...

As usual, I'll begin:

It was a complete surprise to me to suddenly see these people heading backstage. I saw a chance and went with it, and I think that's why I didn't tell Jan to let me stay and meet them. I was caught off guard and couldn't believe my good luck at actually getting the chance to try and get in because it was completely unplanned
It was so funny. All of it. But, especially watching Mike and Mallory's reaction and knowing that they were seeing the entire thing, and watching me make it in!
It was a great night! Unforgettable!

MK and Co. said...

"Who is that dangerously unbalanced woman?" Are you insane! Your story was incredible, amazing, and slightly alarming. I can't believe you did that! I was laughing out loud at your honest confession to Jan. I hope Mike and Mallory enjoyed the after show because it sounded like you sure did! Well congratulations on your close encounter to your favorite rock stars ever! What a story!

Leslie said...

Mare,
It is a great story. Can you believe it?
Isn't there anyone else out there happy for my close encounter? I swear I want to shout it from my driveway and tell everyone I know. I wish I knew some die-hard fans to tell.

I swear I felt unstoppable. I was going in no matter what!
Anyway, thanks for laughing at my crazy antics and being happy for me. We should all go to one of their concerts, some time. We'd love it!

Leslie said...

Catte,
OH, you are the best. Did you put their songs on for me? I LOVE IT. THANK YOU SO MUCH. IT'S PERFECT!

I'M so deaf and can never tell where sounds are coming from, I just thought Mal had it on in her bedroom, or somewhere in the house! I didn't even realize it was on my blog.
Thank you! I really love it. They're such great songs!
It was such a great night.
Really, Catte, Thank you.

Katie and Mark said...

You are crazy and brave! I love it!!! Good for you.

You remind me of Mark! He would have been the first to hop in line. We are opposite like that. I am always terrified of going against any "laws" or rules, and he loves the excitement of trying his hand at luck!

Lauriesconsult said...

Okay Leslie, your biggest fan club ..The Sanders kids all say Aunt Leslie is so weird and Brad said WATER....after I told them the story of you sneaking backstage. But we are still laughing at the police stopping you and you laying on the horn....You are Crazy Burnsie !
Keep it up kid its entertains us all so much.Congrats on sneaking in with the crowd. You are the real deal a GROUPIE !!!

MK and Co. said...

Les,
I told my kids this story at the dinner table last night and they were entranced. They were very concerned for their wild Aunt Leslie. They were afraid you were going to have a run in with the law! Jacob kept on saying-"Leslie? Leslie did that?" Such a great story Leslie!

Leslie said...

Mary, I am laughing at your comments. Wild Aunt Leslie trying to get in to meet a bunch of 70 year old musicians!
So funny! Oh well, that's as close I was going to get.

Leslie said...

Katie, and Laurie,
I don't know what comes over me.
I saw the chance and took it. I wished I was "Somebody" so I could have gone in, too. Oh, well. Jan laughed at me, and was nice about it.
Anyway, some kind of fearlessness and determination takes over.

And Laurie, well, that policeman was wretched. He wouldn't even listen to me. The only alternative to get his attention was to slam on my horn!
Well, I'm glad the grandkids are getting a kick out of Crazy Aunt Leslie. Can't wait to see what the next antic will be.

Catherine said...

Crazy Leslie,
I loved this story! You really are cuckoo Burnsie. I wish that Jan had let you in anyway. I love that Mallory thought you were so crazy! I wanted to leave you a comment yesterday, but I had a "There's no time girls" kind of day, so I changed your music instead. That's a crack up that you thought it was Mal. Crazy Leslie!

Leslie said...

Catte,
Jan should have let me in. She should have offered because I'm not so good at asking.
She should have seen what I needed and offered! Darnit!
Thanks for putting their music on.
I love that you did that for me.

Catherine said...

I was just my commenting rounds and I thought I'd drop by and say hello. "Hello."

I haven't seen your comments anywhere, today. I've missed reading your comments. Anemia got you down? =D Haha.

Leslie said...

"THERE'S NO TIME, GIRLS. THERE'S NO TIME!"

Jake said...

I'm leaving you my first comment because I barely know how to do all this jazz. That was pretty gutsy to just go backstage without a pass. Love ya. Jake