CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Another Book Report

I recently read Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher. The title alone made me want to buy the book. I wanted to read this book because her other books have been very funny, and I always pay attention to what she's doing because everyone pays attention to what Princess Leia has been doing.
Several parts made me laugh out loud. Her language is terrible but it's not often she swears, but it surprised me when she did.
Her early life sounded hard because of divorce and remarriages. Her mother married a man who was previously married. He and his first wife were married, but then divorced. They then made up, married again and had a child. Life was good so they adopted two more children. But, then the clouds came and they divorced, again. This first wife, ending up marrying a grand total of nine times. Sadly, she died. This occurred while Debbie was married to him.
Carrie Fisher writes, "So now there are three children left. What should we do with them? I know let's send them to Harry and Debbie. Now, Debbie is told that one of the children should be institutionalized. But my mother is a good person, much like Sarah Palin, and she says, "Absolutely not. We will put her in Carrie's room."
(Are you laughing? I hope you are. That line knocked me out.)
Later, in the book she writes about being in the Abnormal Psychology textbook. She really is because she is Bi-Polar/Manic Depressive. She says, "Obviously my family is so proud." When she was told about the textbook, she was told there was a picture in there with a photo. And she said, "Huh, What Photo? It's not like anyone ever called me and said, "Have you got a little snapshot of yourself looking depressed or manic? So for years I wondered-----what picture?"
Well, she said she had excellent news because she found the picture and that she really wanted everyone to see it.
It is in the book, and it is a large picture of her dressed as Princess Leia in long white robe, and hair wrapped in buns alongside the chapter of The Biology of Bipolar Disorder.
"Can you imagine?" Wouldn't that be awful?
She really is very interesting, and her humor is sharp and cynical, and she has a great appreciation for the ridiculous.
She said that her father, Eddie Fisher, who sounded terrible and still sounds terrible, smokes four joints a day so she calls him, "Puff Daddy." Isn't that awful? It was awfully funny so I had to include it.
Her mother sounds wonderful and kind, and is her best friend who lives right next door. The book was full of many pictures of their family and Debbie Reynolds has such a strong and striking resemblance to Mary Kate's, Bella that I think we should start calling Bella, Little Debbie.
Well, I kept thinking about how funny Carrie Fisher is and thought an author who suffers optimistically with depression fit in with our depressing January theme. So have a laugh, raise a glass, and Here's to Wishful Drinking.





Photobucket

4 comments:

Catherine said...

Leslie,
Thankyou so much for this book report! I loved it and laughed outloud at all the places that I was supposed to (promise!) I didn't know that Carrie Fisher is bipolar. She wasn't in my abnormal psycology book in her princess leia costume, but I wish she had been. I'm so glad you posted about this book, because I noticed it when I was typing in your sidebar info and I wondered about it. I can't wait to read it, it sounds hilarious.

Also, I love your downstairs quote about losing 5 lbs before suicide. I can understand that, especially since I went to the doctors and got weighed today! It's so terrible that they weigh you after the holidays, it seems like I should get some sort of a grace period. Maybe I should have asked Mom to write me a note.

Catherine said...

Your blog is cracking me up! Every time I open it, I hear the beginning of Jingle Bells! My kids love all the Christmas music on the blog! We need some cheesy 70's love songs, for valentines day! =)

Leslie said...

I am laughing at your comment.
Every time I open it I race to turn the volume down.
Mike just yelled, "Christmas is over!"

I only get into my blog to get into everyone else's.
So funny.
I really just need my original blog music since it went with The Love theme.

All right, I'm glad Annabelle is getting a laugh out of my Christmas music.

Catherine said...

If Mallory ever remembers your login info for your old playlist account, then we can get your old list, but if she can't remember it, if you want help making a new one, I can walk you through it.