CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Jack's Baptism


We had such a nice day with everyone for Jack's Baptism last Saturday. Mom and Dad were there, along with Laurie, Courtney's family, Lisa and all of her family, and us. Mom gave a Baptism talk about Alma and courage. She wondered what story to share with a boy who loves video games, so she began with, "Once Upon A Time," and told Jack about wicked King Noah, and Abinadi. She then told Jack that the best part of this story is that it's true. It is a true story.
Dad talked about The Holy Ghost and what resounded most clearly to me was when he told Jack he had made a very serious enemy today, and that this enemy would try and keep him from being the boy he should be. Even as he said it, I knew it to be true not just for Jack but for each of us.
Mom and Dad always give meaningful talks, and are my favorite speakers. I think they should speak at General Conference. "Can you imagine?" I'm sure we all could.
Roy also, gave a very nice blessing to Jack. When he finished and Jack was shaking hands, Roy-Roy jumped out of his seat and ran to his dad and hugged him.
Laurie often talks about and remembers how much Roy was wanted. The whole family wanted a boy. Even I knew we wanted a boy, and I was only four. Everybody loves Roy, and I think Sung Jin put it best when she once described him as, "A Sister's Boy!" I think it's true because we all adore him.
Sung Jin played the piano and bore her testimony in Korean. Also, Mingi and Eloise sang a duet together.
Laurie and I were the prayer givers of the day. She was full of poise and I was full of nerves. She said everything smoothly and easily, and I did so with a shaking voice, knees, and long pauses. As much as I have a hard time doing it, there is something in me that is glad Roy wanted me to.
Afterward we "went over to Violet's for the big Halloween Party." We had a wonderful time at Roy and Sung Jin's eating cheeseburgers, chips and dip, and Roy's big basket of Chocolate Chip Cookies. Also, Sung Jin always serves a platter of fruit which is something I never remember to do.
It was a great day for all of us, and Mom said it perfectly, "There's nothing better than those days when you perform church ordinances."

6 comments:

MK and Co. said...

Oh, I loved the part about Laurie full of poise and you full of nerves. I was laughing out loud for that one.
I'm so happy young Jack had a very happy day. I love Mom and Dad's talks too. And yes I could imagine them speaking in general conference. Pop could give Dieter some competition in the hair department.
Thanks for keeping us posted on the California families! Roy and Sung Jin need to start a blog. I miss seeing pictures of their kids too.

Catherine said...

Oh this was a sweet post, Leslie. I love that Mom started her talk with "Once upon a time . . ." And I think she chose a good topic for a boy who loves video games. And Dad's talk sounded very good. A little bit scary . . . but very good.

What a fun day, and I'm sure you did a great job on the prayer. I'm terrible at public prayers. I'm terrible at saying prayers in my own home, if anyone other than my immediate family is present.

I wish I could have been there, and I'm very sorry that I missed the big Halloween party at Violet's house!

Catherine said...

Oh yes I forgot, I would love it Mom and Dad spoke in Conference. They would be so good!

I have a funny story about conference talks!

When Mom and Dad were here a few weeks ago to meet with Elder Staley, Mom told me that she told him about how much I love BYU football and that for the first game, we made pompoms and listened to game on the radio and I taught my kids the fight song. Anyway, when Paul came home later that day, I told him that Mom was talking to Elder Staley about our little family and then Paul said in a super excited tone, "Maybe you'll be in conference!" I laughed my head off! "Can you imagine?"

Leslie said...

Mary, I laughed about Dad giving Dieter some competition. Dad has good hair, and I am so glad because all of his girls' sons will always have good, thick heads of hair, thanks to him and his good gene pool.
It's true about Laurie. She is always poised and ready for public appearances. And, I will always be "Public-please don't ever make me perform-Leslie."

Catte Woman,
That is so funny about Paul saying that about Elder Staley. Even cuter, is Mom telling him about you and your family. That was nice of Mom.
I love that you were making pom-poms for the radio game.
Holly and Mallory were BYU cheerleaders for Halloween once, and Candice is making BYU bows for someone for Halloween, too.
Also, I think we can all picture Mom and Dad speaking at Conference, but I was being facetious when I wrote it. I wouldn't really ever want them to.
Too much notoriety. Reverent, respectable notoriety, of course, but notoriety just the same.
Everyone's mad I'm on the computer so I have to go and butter some toast because Erin Leigh said, "Come on Mom, I'm not even that good."

Prudy said...

Leslie:
Oh darn. We should have just gone. I always regret it when we don't just go. Like when we missed Jacob's farewell. I can't even remember why we couldn't go, but then I regret it later. Maybe we should just have all our family functions in Barstow so we can meet halfway. Just kidding of course. Of course I read your comment 45 on my blog. I haven't read rip van winkle for many years, but wasn't his nap 100 years long? I slept in this morning, not quite 100 years, but I raelly wish it could have been. Now we are going on a bike ride that the kids don't want to go on. We're trying to convince them how great it would be, when really we should probably just leave them home with a dog as a babysitter.

Leslie said...

Erin,
I wish you'd come down for everything. We had a really nice day and weekend because we all went to church in Cammy's ward the following day.

I have no idea how these blogs work. I thought you get a thousand hits a day and a thousand comments so I thought there was no way you'd sit and read the 45th one or all the way through.

Rip gets to fall asleep for 20 years. Long enough for his shrewish wife to grow old and pass away.
I always wish we could hibernate. Bears get to, we should, too. We'd feel so rested. Right after Thanksgiving dinner would be perfect.

Please come down for the next big family event.
I'm trying to convince Laurie and Court to come for Thanksgiving. I think Erin Leigh's Baptism will be in February because I can't imagine trying to do it in January with all that will be going on.....but we shall see!