CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Friday Favorites


Every Friday morning The Littles and I stop at our local donut shop just around the corner from their school and they jump out and pick out a donut. We've done this for a couple of years now and they love it. It's our Friday Tradition and it's always fun because there are so many kids from their school who stop and get one, too.
Erin Leigh gets a glazed twist and a chocolate milk, and Annie Laurie gets a chocolate sprinkle and an apple juice. I know, apple juice and a donut, but she loves it.

My favorites are chocolate cake donuts with chocolate frosting and sprinkles, just like a little kid. I think they look so pretty, and all the colors remind me of confetti, which is another thing I really love. But, I never eat a donut with them because 1. It's too early for anything, and 2. It will feel like I've eaten a donut all day if I eat one.
I do break down on Christmas Eve though, and eat Krispy Kreme's because Tracy and Brian and their family always deliver two dozen to us, and really, to the entire ward. That's about the only time I eat a donut. Well, and I ate them whenever I was pregnant, too. I ate a lot of things when I was pregnant that I wouldn't ever, ever eat or drink now, including milk by the jars full!

Well, that's our Friday Favorite Tradition. Post It Girl is still busy otherwise, I'd have a big picture of a plate full of pretty- chocolatey-confetti-sprinkled donuts.

11 comments:

Leslie said...

I love your Friday Tradition. It reminds me of our old tradition but better. You know . . . the on where every Saturday morning there was a box of dougnuts and a chore list for everyone, written on a yellow legal pad, in Pop's super tidy writing. Well that one was pretty good, but I think you've improved on it!

Catherine said...

I did it again! I was still logged in as you when I left that last comment! It's me Post It Girl #2 - Catte.

Prudy said...

Oh that is sad. I wish you would eat a donut on Friday. We've been on a donut making kick this week. I wish I could make you a big one, but here's the secret-we make them at night. Then you could eat one happily before you got to bed. I made donuts for family night, then mom loved them so much she made them the next night and now we are making them for Roy tonight too. For some reason I got a big chuckle out of the fact that you liked my post today. Tacos, of course! I know how you love your tacos. I'm frantically trying to get so much done today since this is my last weekend before I leave. I'm leaving on Sat. morning next week. I have to make one million cupcakes today for YW and teach on Sunday and tonight Sailor has a singing concert and then tomorrow the kids have a symphony concert practice and Nutcracker. Busy, busy. I think I may look like a slob in Europe, but a happy slob.

MK and Co. said...

Oh Leslie, your second reason for not eating a donut was too funny and very true too. Do you think it's all the yeast that makes it feel that way? I would imagine the stomach to be a very warm place. Perhaps the yeast continues to double in size like when you put bread dough on your dryer or warm oven.
Your pictures looked gorgeous, colorful and delicious. I loved your brightly colored confetti topped chocolate donut. That would be my favorite too. Do you know we do not have very many donut shops here in Utah! Can you believe it? You have to buy them at the market, which I obviously do not do because they taste nothing like donuts from an actual donut shop. I did get a donut from Crispy Cream last weekend but it's about 25 minutes from my house so not exactly around the corner. Oh well, I really don't need to eat a donut.
When I used to go to seminary there would be donuts there every Friday. I would eat one and think I wanted another one so would of course eat another. I always regretted it after but could never seem to remember that the next Friday and still take a second!
I loved your Friday Favorites and love you making ordinary days fun by simple traditions! Brilliant!

Leslie said...

Dear Super-Duper-Extra-Exceptional-Post-It- Girl #2
I knew it was you who put all these pretty pictures of donuts on my blog. The sprinkles one was my favorite. It is 12:20 at night and we just got back from another round at Disneyland. I checked the blog, and Surprise and Tah-duh....there were magically delcious donuts!
I knew it was you, Catte. Thank you so much. I am not kidding. You could run a profitable business being a Professional Post It Girl.
It was really-super-extra nice of you.
Thank You a hundred and two sparkily-confetti-ly times! The pictures make it "REALLY BETTER!"

Leslie said...

Erin,
You should have known you'd get the best response from me with a Taco! It looked so delicious and crunchy. The taco shell made me want to crunch right through it!
My favorite posts are always The Mexican food and the cookies. I can't help it. It's what I live off of, and I never get tired of them.
I have got to get to St. George for New Years. Can I come stay with you at your house? I better put my reservation in early.
I'm so excited for Europe. I can't believe you are leaving after Halloween. I guess we'll finally get to talk in Rome. "Rome, by all means Rome." Good luck with everything, Erin. I can't wait to finally talk about everything and laugh.

Mary,
Don't Utahn's eat donuts?
I agree with you, about not wanting to buy donuts from a market. No thanks. It's worth the 25 minute drive to Krispy Kreme. Did you get their Halloween Pumpkin donut?
Erin's right about eating donuts at night, so you can sleep your way through the aftermath
The yeast donuts are the worst. Especially a glazed donut. That's why I stick with the cake kind. The chocolate cake kind. They're the prettiest, too.
Can you believe how much I loved glazed donuts and chocolate eclairs when I was pregnant?
Now, I wouldn't go near them. "No thank you."
Today though, my mind is still on Tacos, thanks to Erin's post yesterday.
Did you see it? Did you love it? I keep going back to it to stare!
I'm making it tomorrow whether Holly wants them or not for her Birthday! She asked me to make Mom's Holiday chicken! I made it a few months ago, and was so sicked out trying to make it, that I have given up handling chicken for good. "Eeewwwww Sick!"
We're even having a strictly sidedish dinner for Thanksgiving. A turkey is such an awful looking animal. Every time I see a picture of one, I can hardly stand it. "Uuuuugghhhhh. No thank you."
The older I get, the queasier I am!
I only want pretty things to eat.
Too bad we can't have Donuts and Tacos for Thanksgiving.
haha...just kidding. I couldn't do that either.

Leslie said...

Catherine,
Also, that donut you posted is beautiful; the one dipped in white chocolate with milk chocolate drizzle.
Mmmmmmmmmmmm.....Beautiful!
Thanks for putting it on my blog.

MK and Co. said...

How nice that was of Catherine to surprise post a picture for you. Those pictures were fabulous. Bright and pastel colors just pop against that dark chocolate brown.

And gosh darn it! I knew I spelled Krispy Kreme wrong. It registered in my head when I typed it that the spelling seemed off and rather plain but I shrugged it off. Sorry! I really am the worst speller.

Yes I loved Erin's tacos yesterday! I'm making them for Sunday dinner. I love Mexican food. It was not my favorite as a child but it really is becoming my favorite as an adult. I love the big bold flavors and I love that you can really make it healthy without too much effort. I agree with you about wanting to take a big bite out of her taco picture. Delicious!
Sunday sounds very far away to wait for that Taco though.......

Catherine said...

Leslie,
Don't you know? I have started a very profitable business of running people's blogs for them and your bill is . . .

I'm glad you liked the pictures. I kept wondering whether or not you would like them. I thought that one on top looked so delicious! Anyway you are very welcome and I'm always happy to be post it girl #2. You are welcom a hundred and two sparkely-confetiility times!

Leslie said...

Catte Woman,
I should call and thank you but it's almost The Sabbath, which means it's super busy...AND it's Holly's birthday tomorrow, so even busier.
I loved all of the pictures and was so surprised to see them posted.
You are so much more cooperative than Original Post It Girl!
Thank you again, one hundred and two times! With sprinkles, sparkles and confetti!

Michal said...

those donuts look so good you make me want one. when we lived in utah, i missed good donuts. in downtown salt lake they have a great donut place called banbury cross on 9th east. i always liked their donuts and their name. but the best donuts (that aren't homemade) come from all those little corner donut shops all over southern cal, where they make fresh donuts all day long. i'm afraid at krispy kreme i only like the glazed raised. the other flavors are so much better from a little donut dive.
fun friday tradition. my kids would love it. and i love your dad's saturday morning tradition. we might have to implement that one!:)