CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Love is a Ridiculous, Wonderful, Powerful Thing

I read a great story yesterday, The Tale of Despereaux. Marcia,"Sister Whispers" recommended this book to me. (Even her name sounds like her with that little sh sound like a shush at the end.) (It's a quiet name.) Marcia has good taste in books. Everything she has ever recommended I've loved. Their Eyes were Watching God was one of my favorites. She told me about The Tale Of Despereaux, and also about These is My Words which I am still in the middle of reading.(It's a good one,too)
The Tale of Despereaux was fun to read, and everyone could read it to their kids.
It had many different levels/references to it, and reminded me of fairy tales, Don Quixote, and even bits of Scarlet O'Hara.(I love Don Quioxte because he goes mad from reading so many books. I also love his sidekick and friend, Sancho Panza.)
The beginning of Despereaux was so funny because the mother is disappointed by so many things and keeps saying, "Oh, so sad. Oh, such the tragedy. They are such the disappointment."
She even names her mouse baby Despereaux, for all the sadness and all the despairs.
Despereaux a mouse, falls in love with a beautiful princess, which is possible, but ridiculous. And the narrator tells us that. That,that is what Love is. Ridiculous. It's a Wonderful, Powerful Ridiculous Thing. Later, we learn that Hope and Forgiveness are sometimes also these things, as well.
One character thinks the meaning of life is Suffering, and another believes it is Light. And the Narrator warns us too. "Reader, you must know that an interesting fate (sometimes involving rats, sometimes not) awaits almost everyone, mouse or man, who does not conform." (I believe this, and read a very interesting book about conformity last year called The Chocolate War.)
The Tale Of Despereaux is a meaningful, cute story, and it seemed like something Mom could have written. I loved it. I think you will, too.

4 comments:

Prudy said...

I've read Desperaux also, recommended to me from Shell. She even bought Mom a copy and Eliza is reading it now, too. We loved it, although I liked the development of the story more then I liked the ending, as is almost always the case with me. We have read several from the same author now, and they are always good reads. Also, I have These is my Words from my sis in law who lived in AZ. It's also an interesting read, but I think I'd like the Chocolate War best of all, based on your brief description last year in a conversation. By the way, I sure loved your last post even though I didn't comment. The only reason I have a moment right now is because West is in the bathroom. Ridiculous!

Leslie said...

I thought the exact same thing. The book was so good up until the end. I didn't like how they wrapped everything up by just making and feeding everyone soup. I expected more. I thought the beginning was so good, that the end would be, too.
I am looking forward to it as a movie, though...a good Thanksgiving Movie to see with everyone.
I want to read the other story about the rabbit. Edward Tulane, or something.
I thought The Chocolate War was very interesting.
It was written by a man, so there's guy stuff in there, but it was an interesting, thought provoking
story.
I just talked to Mom and she said she didn't couldn't really get interested in Despereaux. We both laughed because I told her it reminded me of her writing and stories.
Mom told me to that maybe you should call Pyrex, and Nordicware, and places you've done business with in the past to see if they would advertise on your blog. I thought that was a good idea. I'm sure they'd do it, Erin.
Also, I left you another comment somewhere on my blog, but who knows if you'll ever find it.

Did you hear what Laurie's new line of the time is.
She says she gets up everyday and says, "Well, let's see what God is going to say today."
Any time we suggest something or ask where she's going to work or live she says this.

All right, send me another line when West is in the bathroom.

Catherine said...

Now, I can't wait to read this book to my kids. It sounds very cute. And love really is a ridiculous, wonderful, powerful, thing. I love your title for this post!

Oh yeah, MK and I saw "The Women" last night. We loved it. It was a crack up. I wish I could remember a funny quote to put here. I can remember some funny ones, but they are either dirty or contain explitives! And I love that Meg Ryan's character's name is Mary because now (well when I get the movie on DVD) I have all kind of silly quotes that begin or end with Mary! Anyway if you remember any silly quotes from the women, will you let me know? Because now it's bothering me that I can't remember any!

Catherine said...

I just remembered one!

"I hate Halloween. All those strangers at your door."