CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy 4th of July

Happy 4th of July everyone.  Today is one of my favorite holidays.  It's such a fun, colorful holiday and it doesn't involve presents or costumes.  In other words, it's one of the easiest.
We are off to spend the day at Candice's for her big, block party.  Of course, Laurie will be there, and Roy and his family are coming, too.
I just read Erin's blog and was reminded of one of my favorite games.  Every time I play it my kids groan and say, "Not again," but they always laugh and eventually join in.
I love fireworks.  (Who doesn't?) I love anything super colorful against a black background.
(Remember my colorful "Hostess" pants that " you wear with a crushy belt and smart ballet shoes?" Well,  they remind me of fireworks, too.)
The game started years ago.  Jack was with us once and joined right in, and named everything right along with me. All you do is watch the fireworks and come up with better, funnier, and even clever-er names than what they are really called. 
Some of my own personal favorites have been Citrus Sparkle, Confetti Crackle, Emerald City Glow, Sparkily Flower Rose (this one is Anne's), and Coconut Sparkle Pop. 
Dont' forget to use a lot of Crackles, snaps, pops, and glitter, shimmer, dazzle. Starshine Sparkle, and Razzle Dazzle Glow Pop are a couple more I remember.  I just asked Holly if she remembered any and she said, "Oh, no your dumb fireworks names."  Here's what she remembered, Swirly-Twirly Fire Glow, Shimmer-Shimmer Glow Pop, and Crackily-Dappily-Sparkily-Apple Snap.
I asked her if she remembered anymore and she said, "I don't know.  It's your dumb game."
Maybe it is a little, but I love it.  I love that the kids all say, "Oh, no, when I start to play it or even mention it.  But, eventually they laugh. 
All right, have a Super, Happy, Fun, Delicious, Wonderful 4th of July, and don't forget to play the fireworks game.  Your little kids will love it!


4 comments:

Babs Renouf said...

Our name is doubly dulls, Nauvoo decided not to spend the money for any fireworks this year, no not one. So poor Dad worked and worked. We did welcome the new Blue Cast for Pageant, it is a great thing to see families drive here to participate in the Pageant production. Happy Fourth, you described this holiday perfectly. Love Dad and Mom

Prudy said...

What happened to my comment? I swear I left one last night. I just tried to leave a comment above and it wouldn't let me. Rats. I love Laurie's genius "Copacabana Crackle." I always love words with lots of hard cs like Coca Cola Classic and now Copacabana Crackle. I'm not going to write anymore just in case this comment never shows up.

Leslie said...

MOTHER WHERE ARE YOU?
Mom, it was nice to hear from you. You left for Nauvoo and we haven't heard a word.
No fireworks in Nauvoo? Sounds like Murrieta.
So, Roy and I joined forces with Laurie's crew and had a Wonderful Time. My guess is that we'll be spending as many holidays with them as we can. I think Roy and I are lonesome. When you come from...... what are we about 75 in numbers now......, then parties with only 20 people seem boring.
Anyway, hope you are happy and well in Nauvoo.
Enjoy your freedom, Mom. If I ever survive all this, I know I'll enjoy mine, too.

Leslie said...

Erin,
Yes I am a sucker for hard C sounds, too. I'm laughing because Mary and I just discussed this and I told her I love the name Coca Cola. The name alone makes me want to have one. Diet, of course. And, then there's the red logo, too.
Anyway, yes the C's are the best. I'm hoping my kids will name their kids, Brick, or Cash or Buck. I like Tucker, too.
Crackle, Crumple, or Crunchy could be for the pets, although I really don't care for pets. (Just ask Michelle. You should have seen me hide behind her at her house when her dogs were loose. Everyone says I behaved just like you. so funny.) Anyway, I even told the kids the other day I should have named The Littles, "Cocoa and Chocolate."
Here's a funny Candice story for you. We went to the Lagoon and she had her baby asleep under an umbrella on a lawn chair. Candice kept debating whether to move her or let her sleep. Finally she decided to move her, and she woke up crying.
Candice said Oh, I knew that that was gonna happen, but her little arm was "Crumpled."
I loved hearing the second generation Renouf's using a Renouf Word, and of course it made me laugh.