CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, June 6, 2008

The Official Welcome

Since I am a firm believer in giving credit where credit is due, Catherine gets all the credit for naming my blog. The moment she said it, we new I would use it.
We thought it was perfect for three reasons. Leslie Lynton Benedict loves to read, has a son named Jordan, and lives on Reata Ranch. Although the ranch part was a bit of a stretch, with a little word play we made it work.
I have to include this description of Leslie, "Leslie was, as the term went, a bluestocking. She was forever reading books. Leslie had composed herself to read for hours. Books of history, encyclopedias, pamphlets, almanacs, even fiction." (I love that last line, even fiction.)
It's kind of fun to have a heroine with your own name and similar interests.
Once Dad's buddy, Roger Larraillet called me "Pretty Miss Leslie," and being the Elaine that I am, loved him for it and even kissed him on the cheek. We both laughed and enjoyed knowing we understood who he was referring to. Ever since then Roger and I have been better Five Star friends, though he probably had a few drinks that night (Christmas Party) and doesn't even remember.
Actually, Leslie really reminds me of Mom. She loves to read, loves her man and holds him as her hero, remains constantly calm, and always, always, does as she pleases and what she knows to be right.
I know that the final scene, twenty five years later, remind everyone of us of Mom and Dad as they sit looking at their grandchildren. Even in high school my friends had said, "They remind me of your parents."
I hope Mom and Dad know that that, from a teenager, and maybe expecially from a teenager, is a very great compliment. Having raised 10 of them, I'm certain they do.
Edna Ferber is one of my Favorite-favorites. She writes so well about married life and of wives loving and helping their husbands, though she herself never married. She is of Jewish descent and hated bigotry and prejudice. She wrote of these issues in many of her books including So Big, and Showboat.
I really believe Showboat was influential to Margaret Mitchell and Gone With The Wind. Showboat was written first and there are many similarities between the main male character and Rhett. I also believe the Painted Veil by Somerset Maugham was influential to Mitchell as well. But, I will save this subject for another blog.
So Welcome Everyone, Officially to "Little Rieta." I hope this spurs renewed interest and appreciation in the book and movie. Also a great- big-hearty Texas Style thank you to Catherine for naming and continually helping me with my blog. Heidi and Mary Kate also deserve honorable mention, as does Erin for her constant encouragement for me to start one. I really have had a good time with them helping me, and am thoroughly enjoying myself. Better yet, as Pretty Miss Leslie always says, "I'm having a lovely time." Thank you everybody. I really am.

4 comments:

Prudy said...

You know, you really are Pretty Miss Leslie, but your name is dangerously close to LUZ, too. When you're in a bad mood we can call you LUZ, and when you're fresh and cheerful we can call you Pretty Miss Leslie.
I love Giant and I listed it as one of my favorite movies. It does remind me of mom and dad, too. "Little Jordy wants some ice cream."
Anyway, I'm off for my run and to make a poodle skirt. Talk to you soon and see you in less than a week. E

Leslie said...

Of course you're making a poodle skirt!
Uuuuuggghhhhh. I have no interest in dressing up or packing costumes. But, I can't wait for Family Reunion! I still have to buy hula hoops!

Yes, I agree Luz is dangerously close to Leslie.
If you call me Luz when I am in a bad mood, it could turn out to be all the time. I'm turning into Leigh Corbin. "Oh, don't name your baby after me. I'm always in a bad mood."
So funny!

Leslie said...

Of course you're making a poodle skirt!
Uuuuuggghhhhh. I have no interest in dressing up or packing costumes. But, I can't wait for Family Reunion! I still have to buy hula hoops!

Yes, I agree Luz is dangerously close to Leslie.
If you call me Luz when I am in a bad mood, it could turn out to be all the time. I'm turning into Leigh Corbin. "Oh, don't name your baby after me. I'm always in a bad mood."
So funny!

Anonymous said...

Purty Leslie,
You would have come up with Little Rieta on your own, I just spoiled the punch line! I only thought of it because you call your home Little Reatta! And now I need to go check out the book! I LOVE Giant, it's a definite favorite!