CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Jumanji


Tonight I read Jumanji to The Littles at bedtime. Annie has wanted this book from the library for some time since she had not read it before. Erin Leigh was fascinated by it, but "Poor Baby Ann"" fell fast asleep the moment she crawled into bed.
Annie was moved up to the 12 and under waterpolo team and her practice is now 45 minutes longer. Tonight was her first night, and she was extremely tired afterward.
Annie missed nearly all the story, but Erin Leigh was fascinated by it. She sat right by me in her room so she could see every picture. We talked about the snake bearing the same pattern as the furniture, and the monkey eating "a banana" in the kitchen.! When Erin saw the picture she said, "Mmmmmmm How delicious." I did not think it looked delicious at all, but thought it was the perfect depiction of what exactly should be eating a banana!!!!! A monkey! I can't help but really feel only monkeys should eat bananas. Any time I see a person eating one I always think, "Bananas are for Monkeys."
At the end of the story Erin Leigh said it was creepy and that she had better get in bed. She looked very frightened and got into bed very, very quickly. She was actually scaring me a little!
But the real reason I am writing about Jumanji is because it reminds me of Mary Kate, and Catherine. I remember Mom saying all the kids wanted to check this book out from the school library. I remember Mom showing me the pictures, and if I remember correctly Mom didn't like it. But, I remember Mary and Catherine did, and I remember them looking at the pictures and thinking it was a little bit scary, but exciting, too.
And, whenever I think of Mary Kate and Catherine as being little, I also think of Kelly Paul. Kelly Paul will always, in my mind be associated with Mary Kate's childhood. I think Mom and Mary Kate, and Catherine really liked her and thought she was funny. I just remember her always saying, "Mrs. Renouf." It seemed like she was over the house all the time, and that Mary thought she was great.
Maybe it was Mary Kate and Kelly Paul who thought Jumanji was great and that's why I have them all mixed up in this story together.
Jumanji isn't our usual summer reading material, but look what it's reminded me of. I hope everyone will get a chance to read this eery-banana-jungle-story and think of Mary Kate and Catherine running around in their bathing suits, jumping in and out of the swimming pool, and eating "Banana" popsicles. And don't forget to think of Kelly Paul, too.

5 comments:

Leslie said...

Oh Catherine,
Can we please start calling Little Paul, Kelly Paul?
Erin named all of Sailor's dolls after her childhood friends.
Couldn't you name your little boy who looks like a doll after Mary's childhood friend?
If your husband won't let you, would he mind if we call him Kelly Paul instead.
I'm sure Mary would love for us to keep her friends' name somewhere in the family.

Prudy said...

OH, you and banana-loving ErinLeigh are a match made in heaven. She's the yin for your yang. I love Jumanji, but I agree that it is a bit eerie.
I remember Kelly Paul because didn't she have an obsession with a boy band, like Menudo, or Back Street Boys, or???? who was it?
Can anyone help me out?
I think she also had a bubblegum machine at her house or some other way to get candy on a whim.

MK and Co. said...

Kelly Paul! Are you kidding me?! You've just started blogging and on your third post you throw in Kelly Paul! She was a very nice friend and had ever so many toys to play with but I have not seen or heard from that girl since 6th grade! How on earth do you even remember her?
Kelly Paul was obsessed with the the boy band New Kids on the Block and she had a wonderful candy machine at her house that deposited m&m's into my greedy little hands. I could never understand why that machine wasn't ever empty because I was sure at my own home it would have been!
Well, Anyways Jumanji was the hot book when I was little and I loved the book. The pictures were eerie and the story imaginative. But, I agree with Erin Leigh it is a little spooky. I would have to crawl in bed quickly too in fear of a snake beneath my bed.
Les, I thought your comment about "bannanas are for monkeys" was hilarious. I am also not a fan of that mushy fruit. Keep up the hysterical writing.
MK
PS. Perhaps you could run all references of persons,places, things, involved in my past before you publish them. That would be gratefully appreciated.

Anonymous said...

CALL MY BEAUTIFUL BABY BOY - KELLY PAUL? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? YEAH MY HUSBAND WOULDN'T GO TO BALLISTIC! You crack me up! I think we would have better luck calling my husband Kelly Paul. Kelly was obssed with NKOTB as well as Michael J. Fox and she also said I have an ID anytime she had a good idea. And she also told us that she could not ride tubular water slides because she had arachnophobia. Oh yes and she broke one of Mom's pitchers and thought she was going to be in HUGE trouble. Yeah right! And once MK and I got to sleep over at her house on a school night and we had bagels for breakfast, which I thought were wonderful!
Now for Jumanji . . . Yes I loved it! And I knew Mom didn't, she didn't care for the pictures. I agree with you about bananas, they are meant solely for Monkeys!

Leslie said...

Now that I have all the Renouf Girls thinking about Kelly Paul, maybe she'll start thinking about us and call Mary out of the blue.
It could happen, Mary. Erin always has this kind of thing happen,so it could happen to you too.
Catherine, it's a good thing Mary was friends with Kellly so we don't have to call Paully Amy or Mary.
Also Catte, your childhood will always remind me of your old nemesis and antagonist, Candace Idol.
We could right a big blog about that one.