I saw the movie Eat, Pray, Love with Laurie last Friday. We thought we would really like it, but we didn't like the main character, Liz Gilbert. Her life seemed perfectly enjoyable to us; nice home, good job, and a husband who loved her. We couldn't understand why she was always crying and miserable. Turns out she suffered from severe depression. The movie failed to mention that little fact so it was very hard to empathize with her. Her real true life was even better in the book; home in the Hudson valley, Manhattan apartment, friends, picnics, and parties every weekend, and a husband who really did love her. She also was paid in advance to write the book. She has a nice writing style and is very interesting. She shares facts about Italy, India, and Bali, and has many literary references. My favorite parts thus far are about Italy. All she wanted to do in Italy was eat beautiful food and speak beautiful Italian, and she did both. Also interesting is that she and her sister were raised in Connecticut in a farmhouse on a Christmas tree farm. They did not watch television, read voraciously, and are both writers. The sister loves facts, dates, architecture and encyclopedias. Clearly they are both intelligent and interesting.
The Littles watched it with me and were fascinated. We were discussing it the other day, and are always wondering if she really did paint that or if it was someone else. If everyone watches it we can cast votes.
As for the crackers they are my latest favorites. Don't you just love anything by Pepperidge Farms? They make the best snacks. Their latest crackers are the Italian Herb Cheese crisps. They are baked, crunchy and delicious. I know we're all cracker eaters and can call a plate of cheese and a few crackers a meal, so I think everyone will like these.
As for life in California, I'm still crying over the fact that I didn't get to go to New York with Erin, Heidi, and Mary Kate. Super Waaaaaaahhhhhhhh! But, I did love Erin's post today and I am so glad she won and had Heidi and Mary Kate to cheer her on. Their trip has made me entirely too anxious for our trip to Israel. I can hardly wait.






8 comments:
Oh-you are back! I haven't read EPL yet, but now I will. I do want to see the movie, but I don't get out to see to many movies these days, unless they are made by Pixar. Can I get the documentary on DVD? Let me know. I'll try your crunchy crackers, too, although I really really shouldn't. We ate sooooo much in NYC. I really did miss you. I was walking about remembering all the things we did together. I was chuckling remembering how we almost got a cab for a two block walk since we didn't know where to go. OH, and I didn't go to NYC with Heidi and MK ten years ago. I met up with mom and dad in PHilly for one day, but I wasn't on that tour. I did go to NYC 22 years ago with Mr. Byers. I had a blast!! Wait a sec-did Mal start a blog. I see something on your sidebar. I'm going to investigate.
Everytime I think you aren't coming back, you surprise me with a new post.
I keep meaning to check out that documentary since you commented on my blog that the girl looked like Alyssa. I looked up her picture and she does remind me of Alyssa at that age. I wonder if she still looks like her now? I couldn't find a recent picture of her. What was your impression? Did she paint those paintings?
I meant our New York trip to Rochester. The one I got to go on with you and Heidi. I cannot believe that was 10 years ago.
Your trip sounded like so much fun. I loved walking around NYC with you eating pizza, laughing, and looking at everything, just absorbing the feel, sounds and busy-ness of the city.
And yes, you can get the DVD on netflix. It was really interesting, and I just read in the paper that there is a nine year old boy in England and his paintings are selling for hundreds of thousands of dollars!
It was so interesting how the media portrayed their family, and it reminded me of the book, Free Range Kids. When she went on the air with NBC they seem so eager and nice only to turn on them the moment they are on. They also bring in experts who disagree with them, and ask difficult questions and portray them in the wrong.
The family in the movie and the one in the book said they were shocked and naive.
The expert in My Kid Could Paint That turned out to be Ellen Winner whose books I have and love. She wrote Gifted Children and is Howard Gardner's wife.
She disagreed and did not believe Marla painted the pictures.
You'll have to watch it and see what you think.
Well, I'm glad you're back, and that you won, and had such a good time.
I can't wait to hear about what's next.
Julie,
I know I keep disappearing only to return.
I'm not very good on my blog. I don't know how to upload pictures from my camera, so I only end up writing about movies, books and cookies.
If I ever figure it out I can write about my family and show what we are actually doing, although lately we're haven't been doing all that much.
I did think the little girl looked like Alyssa. I thought she was so cute. Her big brown eyes reminded me of her. I love Alyssa's haircut. I think she looks so pretty. Chloe is too and her hair is so pretty with all of her curls. I've been reading all along about summer and Val's new baby, and the beginning of the school year.
As for the paintings, I think she did paint them, but I also though that maybe she did have help or at least some coaching from her father. It was his hobby that she showed interest in and he allowed her to paint beside him. The only problem was when the cameras were rolling her painting were simplistic and typical for children her age.
But if someone was filming me work I might revert back to an earlier age too. The documentary is so interesting because it does cast doubt, and it was amazing to watch what the entire family went through.
Warning though, there are some art pictures that you may not want your children to see. It's brief but there are some.
My kids loved it though and wanted to paint for weeks after watching it.
Now that school's back in session, I promise to blog more often, and if I ever figure out my camera I will write about my kids. I'll even post what they paint!
I loved the movie...no I loved being with Leslie !! Popcorn, diet coke and one of my best friends who cares about the movie.
Thanks for the extra insight into the behind the scences story.
Hurray for a new post! I'm sorry it's taken me so long to comment, but you know how it's been. =D
I can't wait to read the book Eat Pray Love, You made it sound very interesting. And I've been wanting and wanting to watch my kid could paint that, I'll have to see if my library has it.
And I always love a good cracker so I will have to try these. And yes I agree that Pepperidge Farms does make the best snacks.
Well happy snacking and everything else . . . and i'll talk to you later.
And please forgive the lack of punctuation. =D
My library has it! I will watch it next week and cast my vote.
Time to update mama la. I lala love you!
Post a Comment