CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Saturday, Music, Thoughts, and Mallory





It's Saturday and here is what's happening at our house. Mike is away helping his Dad move his business to a new location, so The Littles and I, and Mallory have all been home enjoying the day.

I bought The Andrea Bocelli Christmas CD yesterday, and have been listening to it all day. His music is so beautiful, it makes me cry. I realize that's easy to do, since I've been crying through songs since Sesame Street, but I really do think his music is emotionally moving and beautiful.
I think most of you know this story, but the first time I heard his song Time To Say Goodbye was when Annie Laurie was a brand new baby. She had to have some tests done at a Dr. Office right after she was born, and this song was playing in the office and it brought me to tears. I know I could blame it on post-partem hormones, but like I said, I've been crying through songs since Sesame Street. I was highly embarrassed, but still I went to the front desk and asked the women who worked there who was singing and what music it was. I told them that it was making me cry, and they were so kind to me and agreed that it was beautiful to hear. They also wrote down Andrea Bocelli's name for me and I have been a dedicated listener since.

Music makes me cry, and many times as I sit through church my eyes fill up with tears, and I have to clench my jaw and convince myself to stop crying. The hymns always remind me of Mom, and all of us sitting restless together through church. The music at church is one of my favorite things about attending church, and it always reminds me of our family. I love when certain songs remind me of my siblings, parents, and my children. The sad thing is is that it always makes me cry, and perhaps, what I am really crying about is the past.
I realize I am sensitive to music, and that so many songs that I think are sad are not sad to anyone else. Mallory plays the saddest Primary songs on the piano, and I have to steel myself when she plays. I would never ask her to stop playing because I am always so glad when any of my kids practice their instruments, or read a book, or do anything I think is good for them. Her favorite song to play is, Did Jesus Really Live Again, and every time I hear it my eyes fill with tears, and I go quietly into the bathroom and cram kleenex in my eyes so no one will notice. I know that it is a beautiful song full of kindness and meaningful lyrics, and unfortunately, beautiful things make me cry.

Mallory has seen me cry through Simon & Garfunkle songs, and it surprised her when I did. She used to tease me about it when she was younger, but the older she is, the better she understands why. I cannot listen to some of their songs, and have always thought the two of them are too depressing together. Paul Simon alone is much easier to listen to.
I realize, of course, that I am a big, baby, but I can't help it. I am, after all, the sensitive, bookish type.

Back to Andrea Bocelli: His Italian CD is so fun, and full of beautiful music, too. It reminds me so much of our trip to Italy and Europe because I bought it the day after we came home and played it for all of my kids. I listened to it so much that Jacob finally yelled out, "Oh, No! Not Santa Lucia, AGAIN!" So, Santa Lucia has become his song and Santa Lucio has become his name. I think of him every time I hear it, and I can't wait to play it for him on repeat when he comes home for Christmas.

Buying music and perfume when I am on a trip is one of my favorite things to do because it calls forth the trip and all that I felt and remembered. When Mike and I go out of town for our anniversary I always buy perfume. Even just standing at the counter deciding which one I want and using the test bottles reminds me of our trips together. In Europe I bought perfume, and when we went to The Bahamas with our friends, I bought some there, too. The bottles are empty now, but I've saved them and even just taking the cap off the top, which still smells so good, brings me back to where it was we went. Also, after The Bahamas trip we spent every Saturday by our blue-pool listening to Bob Marley, and that music not only reminds me of summer, but of that trip as well.
What I am really trying to say I think is this: If you want to enhance the memory of a trip, buy some music that will remind you of it, and find a scent you'll never forget.

Lastly, I wanted to write about what a nice day we're having today. The house is decorated for Christmas, the Christmas tree lights are on, and we've all had a nice day at home.
My favorite days are when the kids are home and we're all working independently on whatever we are interested in, but we're all together. It is so nice when no one is bickering and everyone is busy. We've been listening to The Christmas music I wrote about, and simply enjoying being home on a cold, windy day.
While I was in the kitchen, Mallory came in wearing my brand new sweater. She does this kind of thing a lot. Remember this past summer when I came home from racing to get her money from the bank, only to have her and her entire waterpolo team and their mother's waiting on the front porch, as she came walking down the driveway in my new hat, cover up and straw bag? It was hilarious to all of us, including me, and as everyone knows, if you make me laugh, I will let you get away with murder. I really do believe humor is my Achilles Heel. That and a good compliment.
So, there she was in the kitchen in my new sweater looking so much better in it than I ever could. She really did look cute. She had on, what I think of as my signature sweater, which is an off white cable knit sweater, the kind I've been wearing since I was 16 years old. Maybe everything with me is my signature style since I really haven't changed my style or hair style since I was 16 years old.
As she tried to convince me to let her wear it, I asked her in exasperation, "Why do you always want to wear my clothes?" Her answer did me in. She said," Because you have cute clothes, Mom." That's all I needed to hear. There was something flattering about having my 17 year old daughter wanting to wear my clothes and then telling me they were cute. She could tell I liked that, and laughed as she saw me give in. She left me in the kitchen as she finished getting ready, but the next thing I knew she came back again into the kitchen not only wearing my new sweater, but carrying my new red bag!
It was so outrageous of her, that I burst out laughing, and so did she.
Because she made me laugh I let her have her way, and wear my new everything. I even loaned her a pair of new shoes, I hadn't taken out of the box. I thought she looked great and told her I was going to copy her look.
She had on my cable knit sweater, a pair of black leggings, little black flats and a red bag. She also had a black hairband with a black flower in her hair. As she left, she called out to me, "Thanks, Mom. You can borrow my hairband next time." After she said it I thought, I already have a permanent hairband: My sunglasses, of course.

So, that is my Saturday and some of my thoughts. And now I have to stop typing and spend some time with The Littles who have been very easy today, and let me have my way, without even making me laugh.





12 comments:

MK and Co. said...

Leslie,
So sorry but no time because of LAUNDRY!!! I loved this post. I loved reading about my sister who is really just a softy, crying at all these sweet songs. I loved what you wrote about that you're really crying about the past when you hear certain songs. So sweet but kind of sad, like everything in life.
I want you to listen to my new favorite beautiful music by Dario Marianelli. If you get a chance listen to it on playlist. My favorite song I think is Dawn. It's the music from Pride and Prejudice, the one with Keira Knightley. Do you know this composer? Tell me what you think. Thanks for the sweet post. Tell Mallory I love her new red bag!

Katie and Mark said...

What a great post.

I love music too. I am sure my Mom had plenty memories of me crying in Sacrament while singing the hymns. I still tear up, but being that I am there-sitting in Sacrament alone with my four little ones-I figure I better not break down and cry. After all, it is hard to see my four little ones through tear filled eyes. So, I like you, have to grit my teeth, and will myslef to fight off the tears.

I LOVE the idea about bying music and perfume on a trip. I have a TERRIBLE memory, and I think this might help me solve my problem. If I travel anywhere, I think I will have to adopt your tradtition.

Tomorrow I am running out and buying Andrea Bocelii! I will drive where ever the wind blows me, listening to good music, crying my eyes out, while my little ones all ask me if I am okay. :) Sounds like a good Monday to me!

Thanks for such a great post!

Oh yeah, Mallory is a crack up! I want to see a picture of her in your new stuff!

Katie and Mark said...

Sorry about all the typos! That's what I get for not reading it over, but it's Sunday and I have to hop in the shower! LOL

Leslie said...

Oh, Mary,
I'm just a Sweet and Sour Softy.
That sounds like something you could order.
One Sweet and Sour Softy, please. Like a Frosty dessert.

I know Dario Marianelli. Don't you like his name?
Marionelli. It sounds happy and Christmasy like a bowl full of jelly.
We have his piano music, and the sound track as well.
Mallory and I fight over the soundtrack sometimes.
She'll borrow it and then I'll go to get it and it won't be where it's suppose to. Then I get mad because that kind of thing makes me mad. Like Dad with his razor. Mallory likes the same things as I do, so we really should have 2 of all things. The Royal Tenenbaums soundtrack is so good that I really did buy two of them so we would each have her own.
If I sound like I'm complaining about Mal, I'm really not because I love that she likes the same things as I do, and it always amazes me when our similarities show up without any encouragement.
Also, that red bag I posted isn't really the red bag I have. It's only a representation. Same with the sweater. They didn't have what I really have available at google. Well, they probably did, somewhere, but I couldn't find it.
Tell me some more about the music you love.
I know you're busy babying and can't do any blogging, but I still want to hear what you're listening to, reading and eating.

Leslie said...

Katie,
I loved what you wrote about the music and your kids asking if you're Ok. Mine always look surprised and ask me What's wrong?
Also, you are a trooper for getting to church with your four kids. I wish M. could go to Sacrament meeting with you. That would be enough, then the kids can go on to classes, and you could quietly cry through more songs, alone with just the baby for 2 more hours.

I bought the Cd at Target, and I'm so glad you want to have one, too.
My Mom was playing it at her house while we were there for Thanksgiving, so you may have heard it.

I should have taken a picture of Mallory! That girl can make my clothes look great.

Also, I don't think you have a terrible memory. Is this true? You can remember to do aerials and cartwheels.
I meant to tell you you were so nice and fun with the kids on Thanksgiving. We were all so impressed and think you're a natural born teacher and coach. We were also completely impressed that you can do all the same tricks you did as a kid, and without any hands.
I would have to say that you, "Still got it!"

Prudy said...

I just read this post for the second time and I loved it. Bocelli has come up sooo many times this weekend. I know we were supposed to talk on Fri night but we went on the stroll with mom and dad and didn't get back until after nine. Then mom and dad bought salsa and chips and we ate them at their house and didn't come home till eleven. All this on the weekend that I have to grade term papers. I'm still working on the last papers straggling in. Save me.

Leslie said...

Erin,
Thank you for reading it twice. It was a long post, too.
I'm glad you liked it.
What were your Bocelli moments? I heard the cd when I was at Mom's and came home wanting it, but waited until....(payday, of course.)
You probably don't have time to tell what they were do you. Well,
your night with Mom and Dad sounded nice. Who isn't happy when someone brings you chips and salsa?
I love it when someone surprises you with something delicious.
Well, good luck with all your papers to grade. I hope everyone gets an A.

Katie and Mark said...

Leslie,

Thanks! I was shocked I could still do some of the same tricks too. I really did not think I could. I had a blast with the kids. I wish we all lived in our own little town (or maybe Grandma's Cul-De-Sac)-then we could have all the little ones rotate to the next house for a 45 minute session of whatever talent lives there. They could come to me to do gymnastics, and go to the other Aunts for their talents! :)

As for the CD, I am going to Target tomorrow morning! I LOVE music, and my kids have learned to LOVE it as well. They listen to all sorts of music. Not only do they listen to it-they sing it! I cannot wait to hear them take on Andrea Bocelli...

Catherine said...

I love this post. I'm always crying over songs. One ridiculous song I keep crying over is "Merry Almost Christmas" from Frog and Toad. It just talks about it can't feel like Christmas without you. And it always reminds me of my kids. Because my married Christmases never felt like Christmas until they joined us. I know it's silly to cry over but I do anyway every time I hear it. I'm sure my kids think I'm crazy. And maybe I am.

I love that Mallory keep taking your clothes. I wish I lived by you so that I could make you laugh and then take your things and you wouldn't even mind. Haha!

I'm glad you had a Happy Saturday. It really sounded like fun. Thanks for sharing. And I'm sending Paul out to buy that CD today.

Seth and Julie said...

Okay, I related to so many things in this post. I have turned in to the biggest softy too. My siblings, my parents, and 3 of my 4 grandparents are tough as nails, and yet somehow I am always getting emotional. Church is the worst. If I feel the Spirit, I cry. I think I scare the poor Primary children during sharing time some weeks. It is even worse now that I am a mom. I cry during the Olympics even because those are someones babies and I know they are so proud of them. I am really quite a disaster.

Also, I have a definite weakness for humor too. It led me to date some imbeciles in my lifetime because if you can make me laugh that is worth big points. Naughty kids in Primary, or in my home have no need to worry about discipline from me, as long as whatever naughty thing they did was amusing.

Mallory sounds adorable. I look forward (kind of) to those teenage years where I am friends with my girls. I bet she has no clue who I am but I remember her and Holly and Jacob and Jordan from St. George trips when they were the tiniest little munchkins.

Also, in case this isn't long enough yet, I love that you call your little girls the littles. We always called my moms second set of kids the LK's (little kids). Whenever you say it I think of my own littles from once upon a time.

Leslie said...

Catherine that is so sweet.
I remember thinking life was more fun with kids and especially holidays. "Christmas is for children."
Your children are so cute and Christmas is so exciting for little children.
I loved their Christmas pajamas and the picture on your blog.
Tell Annabelle to send me some clues so we can play password together. Maybe I should get her the game for Christmas.
I think she'd be really good at it.

Leslie said...

Julie,
We are having such a good time with your blog. My kids want to know everything about you, too.
That's so sweet you cry through the Olympics. I understand completely.

I love funny people. I always have.
I love funny authors, and some of my favorites are classic authors like Jean Kerr, Shirley Jackson, Dorothy Parker, and Erma Bombeck.
We, (all the sisters & Mallory) love Anne Tyler, too.

The bad thing about loving funny things and being a Mom is that when I should be mad, or stand my ground, I see the humor and absurdity in situations and end up caving in.

I liked your LK nickname for your family's little kids. No matter how big The Littles get, they will always be The Littles.

Also, Valerie left me a couple comments on earlier posts that I just read. I had missed them, but I am so glad she's joining in, too.
I want to hear all about your family and siblings. I left you so many questions. I hope it was all right.