Blog Archive
My Blog List
-
-
-
-
-
Let's Watch Conference12 years ago
-
-
-
Wise Men Still Seek Him13 years ago
-
-
-
-
Excited for YOSEMITE!!!!!!!!15 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
My Blog List
My Blog List
Powered by Blogger.
Monday, December 8, 2008
Thanksgiving Day
It's almost Christmas, but blogwise I'm still in November, and mindwise I'm still in Europe! (I loved our trip and am still thinking about it daily and will eventually post all my pictures and thoughts.) But, for today I will write about Thanksgiving.
I loved the whole day, and surprised myself and everyone by making a turkey. I thought we were having a Sidedish Dinner, but everyone suddenly became nostalgic and traditional, so I put Mike in charge of the turkey and covered my eyes while I told him what to do.
The Littles helped with the rolls, and had a great time chopping celery and onions the night before. Holly played with The Littles and helped with art projects and games. She also made a green bean casserole because she loves it. Jacob got to come home, so we were happy he was with us. He asked what his job was but already knew the answer. He's always in charge of picking up the Pumpkin Cheesecake. Jordan had to work all day, and we missed him. We told him not to ever work again on a holiday, but he told us he worked Thanksgiving so he wouldn't have to work Christmas. Mallory spent the early part of her day at her "Little Friend" Cody's house and then they both came back for dinner with us. Holly's "Little Friend," Brian also came over later in the day, along with his brother, Josh and his "Little Friend," Claudia. And when Jordan got off of work he and long time "Little Friend," Angela had dinner together here, too.
(They get so mad when I refer to their boyfriends and girlfriends as their, "Little Friends!" They always have to yell out, "Mom!" like I'm the most ridiculous person.hahaha They should know I'm just copying our mother.
Ever since Europe, I want three hour dinners. I keep telling everyone, every night,"We are eating Italian Style for three hours." This really means I get everyone for an hour, but it's working. Everyone is staying longer at the table and I'm not in such a rush to get the dishes done. (The missionaries came over the other night in the middle of dinner, and the one Elder was so kind and said, "Oh this looks so nice. I wish I had a family.) (I thought it was so sweet and knew he missed his.) On Thanksgiving I told everyone they had to stay for FIVE hours, but no one did. It didn't matter though, we had a great dinner and everyone was fun.
After dinner, The Magro's came over for dessert. They were nice enough to want to see our pictures from our trip. Mike set it up on the TV so we got to have a slideshow. I was amazed they wanted to see them all. Aracelia is always so nice and asks about everyone; the entire family, Mom, Dad, children, husbands, who lives where, careers, everything. She is genuinely interested and always has kind things to say about our family. They have a nice family, too and my kids have a good time with theirs. Amanda is in 6th grade and was very funny. Mal was happy to see Jordan. They are the same age, just a day apart.
We missed Roy and Sung Jin and their family, so we needed Greg and Sally, and were glad they were able to come over. It was a nice day, a long day, and a grateful day. (5:30 am to 11:30 pm--non stop!)
My favorite part about Thanksgiving was having everyone home and in and out while I was baking and listening to music. I love that everyone is happy becase it's a holiday, and how everyone comes in the kitchen to talk, taste everything, play games, and sing. We listened all morning to Andrea Bocelli's Incanto and Holly danced with The Littles while everyone sang, "Funiculi Funicula" at the top of their lungs. It wasn't exactly Thanksgiving music, but it was perfect since I'm really still in Europe and refusing to come entirely home.
I told Erin this, but I will write it too, since I am so grateful to have the cookbook she made for us. We are so lucky to have all of our family recipes, and it is the best reference book I own. I use it every week, but it is the best cookbook to have at Thanksgiving. I love reading the funny quotes and memories, and even this year I loved just seeing our old phone number, 943-7484 on one of the pages. It made me miss everyone when I read it, but it made me happy, too. It really was and is a great gift, Erin. Thank You again, for giving this to us.
Well, this year my family was so happy to have a turkey , but my life would be so much easier if my family ate like me. My favorite things to eat were the cinnamon and pecan rolls for breakfast and then the Potato Cheese Soup, with Mom's Dinner Rolls. That is all it takes to make me happy on Thanksgiving.
And maybe some mashed potatoes and gravy.
I just asked Holly what she thought was the best thing about Thanksgiving and her answer scared me. She said, "The Turkey!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"Propriety: noun: conformity to established standards of behavior or manner, suitability, rightness or justice. See "etiquette."
-Burnsie-
Popular Posts
-
If you haven't watched this movie could you please go straight to a Red Box, find it and watch it. It was ridiculous & absurd and I...
-
Here she is. Here is The Littles new dog. They wanted one so much that we gave in and let them have one. Doesn't she look like Girlie?...
-
All right, Sisters of The Yah-Yah Club, Where are all the comments? We need to get our Quilting Bee going again. Obviously, we need better ...
-
I have a funny story about this movie, or should I say a frustrating story. For weeks I'd wanted to see this movie, but it never worked...
-
Remember how in Meet Me In St Louis Tootie says she's so lucky to be born in her favorite city. Well, that's how I feel about Fall. ...
-
These are my latest addiction. They come in a bright, red bag. I usually eat the cheddar kind in the yellow bag, but when Erin was down sh...
-
The Littles went back to school today, and were happy to return. Actually, Erin Leigh was happy and Annie Laurie was semi-happy. That's ...
-
Is everyone ready or frantically getting ready for our trip? I'm so excited to go and am looking forward to being all together. I can ha...
-
I received my legal and signed document today from my ear surgeon. I have been officially excused from jury duty for the rest of my life du...
-
Just in case anyone had any doubt, which I doubt that anyone did, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is officially my new Magnificent Obsession. ...



15 comments:
This has nothing to do with Thanksgiving.
Yesterday we went to our neighbor's baby's first birthday party. She throws the best parties. She has a baby almost every year, so this is the 4th party she's thrown. An In-n-Out Truck is always there and yesterday they added a Hagen Daas stand.
Has anyone had Caramel Cone ice cream?
It was DELICIOUS.
Try it. I know you'll love it!
And, even better, is that there will be another party next year. My neighbor is expecting, AGAIN! Her fifth, and also the sixth since she has an older boy from her husband's first marriage!
Anyway, it's a new mania.
Mmmmmmmmmm Caramel Cone!
I was not hungry when I started reading your post but now I'm starving! And I feel instantly I should clean and scrub my house and see if I can get mine to sparkle like yours. I loved your table runner, your flowers and, the little nativity in the background. Everything looked so pretty, tidy, and delicious. Your kids all looked older and very attractive! You really do have a beautiful family. I wish I could have come too even though I had a wonderful time at Mom and Pop's.
Loved hearing about you happy day!
Also, I need a party like those lucky babies get. That party sounds delightful. Hamburgers and Ice cream! What a lovely combination. You know I am just shy of 30 so I should be thinking about party ideas. This one sounds perfect!
Oh what a happy Thanksgiving. "Ohhh what a happy day . . ." I can't remember the rest of the song. Everyone looks so pretty and so happy in your pictures. Your house looks so clean and I love your table. And I'm so glad that you call the boyfriends & girlfriends, "little friends." Just like Mom.
I just put two and two together, I've always been a little lost when it came to the Magrow's becuase I knew she had an ethnic sounding name, so I never knew who Sally was. I think I've finally got it! Sally is short for the ethnic name! Tell me I'm right. I talked to her at Jake's homecoming and she really is very nice.
Anyway I loved your post and I can't wait to try a hagen daz caramel cone ice cream. Wait is it a caramel cone? Or is caramel cone the ice cream flavor? I need to know!
So MK and I were talking about what a 'beautiful life' you have. The table was beautiful, nobody dumped out your markers, or pulled down your runner, or picked your flowers, and your make up was done and a lovely orange sweater to wear without fingerprints all over it....the older kids played with the well behaved littles and everyone was happy.....ahhhhh it can give one hope. (Not that I don't like fingerprints and messy houses, but you know...)
It really did look lovely and made me miss being a part of the California group. It was always so fun to attend your parties. Trust me, yours are up to par with the in and out truck and ice cream. ps...what on earth do they do for a living???? Are they hiring?
Well Happy Thanksgiving European Style. I can't wait to see the beautiful Christmas. Love,H
Mary, I laughed that this post made you hungry.
I've been hungry for Tacos and chips and salsa all day but we had spaghetti for dinner. Not everyone around here wants to eat Mexican food everyday! So sad.
Yes, I think you should have cheeseburgers and ice cream for your big 30th Birthday Party! Maybe I should come, too.
Thank you to everyone for all your compliments about the house and decorations. I hardly have any Christmas decorations. All that I have are old, but Holly brought some home from her work's boutique. The Little Kids are practically big now, so the house really does stay clean, and they know how to clean up, too.
Catte, This is the first time I have called Sally, Aracelia and it's because she told me how much she
hated the name Sally. I told her Sally is the cutest name, but it didn't help. She was very emotional about it, too so I am trying to call her Aracelia.
The ice cream flavor is called Caramel Cone. I thought it was corn at first, but no it's cone.
It's caramelly chocolate chip with crunchy pieces of chocolate. I loved it. Everyone did, even Mike.
It was the best booth, and you could go up as many times as you wanted.
Heidi, I promise you- this was the most organized and cleanest Thanksgiving I have ever had, and we had a very nice day. I thought we'd be lonesome, but we weren't at all. It was still busy and fun.
I wish you were still part of the California group, too. Everything felt like a party when you were here, even just in going to Target or the park, and I loved our two-member, me and you Book Club! You should pick out the next book, Heidi and I will read it with you.
My neighbor has his own business, and their life looks super wonderful. I think it's a drywall business. She has a Suburban and a Convertible bug, a swimming pool, and they are always on the go doing something fun.
They are our age with four little kids under the age of 7, and soon there will be five.
Call me when you get a chance, Heidi. I left a message the other day, but now my phones are breaking and I can't dial out. I can only take incoming calls. It's so frustrating.
I really did get The Renouf Curse!
Also: The Laurie Update:
Laurie and Mark Medearis went out this past weekend. She said they both had such a good time, and it was so nice to see each other and talk, and be together. AND
he called her the next day, on Sunday, and told her he wants to go out again!
Hurray! Even if they are just friends and have fun together, and keep each other company, would be great!
LOL!!! Does my Mother know you are posting about her love life? : )
Anyway, I had left you a REALLY long comment earlier, but somehow it did not post-bummer-
I will have to give you the cliff notes version...
*BEAUTIFUL family
*Gorgeous decorations
*The name of that ice cream made me want to lick my computer screen.
*And your neighbor sounds like my kind of lady...Lots of babies and In-&-Out!!! Both my favorite.
OH what a happy day! It all sounds and looks just idyllic. Little Erin Leigh is looking so grown up and now she's going to be 8 in just three days! Where does the time go. Remember that little black haired baby with the rosebud mouth that you brought back to your condo. I'm glad you are continuing to refer to the future potential family members as little friends. Laurie sounds like she had a great time with her little friend too. You are very welcome for the cookbook. It may end up being the only one that I do. I'm afraid I'm losing blog steam. I may have to take up contesting again. Anyway, gotta run as always. Talk to you soon.E
I just emailed Laurie and asked her to please post all about her dates on her blog, in the future :)
Sounds like you guys had lots of fun. I heard that we might be visiting you guys for New Years, hope it happens, the kids love hanging out with you guys!!!
Yeah-yeah, Court,
You gotta come for New Year's. We need you, you're comin'. My kids were so sad not to go to Disneyland
last week with you, so I've been telling them you'll be here for New Year's.
Heidi,
Let's start a new blog for Laurie. We'll call it
LAURIE'S LOVE LIFE! I'm sure she won't mind at all!
She's always let us little kids boss her around and do whatever we want.
Prudy,
I almot forgot to comment!
I put up a little picture of Erin Leigh and Annie Laurie on the fridge when they were really The Littles, and poor Mike- it made him cry!
We can't believe she is 8 tomorrow, and wish she was just three!
I love your blog, but I loved it when you contested too, since due to availability, I always got to tag along.
It was so nice of you to take me everywhere. I haven't forgotten.
Heidi and I are thinking about making a blog for Laurie. I think we should do it. We could write glowing reports and then we could interview and screen anyone interested!
"Can you imagine?"
hahaha....I love my hairdresser.....another favorite line...because she never gets mad at ANYONE...is..."What was that all about?"
Anyway, call me Prudy. I love it when we get to talk!
Heidi,
Are you there? Call me Heidi. I was wondering if you were moving back to California. Could you?
It's perfect timing. You're about to have another baby, and your kids could all sleep over.
They like me, Heidi. They'll want to jump in my car and go with me. It'll be great.
Good thing I read your comments-I was hoping you were COMING here for New Year's. HA! You are hosting a party? How could you?
Darn, we would have had such a good time. I promise to enter some contests this year. This year had it's own good suprise trips, but next year I might have to make my own.
And I haven't had caramel cone but I love all those hard C sounds and would love to try it.
Coca Cola Classic
Carrot Cake
Candy Cane
I wish we were playing scattergories.
Prudy,
I know. I am stuck in California! If I leave half my group stays, and they all expect me to stay home and make everything fun for them.
Hard C sounds are my Favorite-favorites!
Buck,
Cash,
Brick,
Crinkle, Crackle, Collossal,
even, Decrepit!
Book I just read was all about the hard sounds, and harsh sounds of swear words and why they have the ability to "stick". Very interesting.
All books by Steven Pinker are extremely interesting.
And, yes, I love scattergories, too.
I need a new set for this year's party. I think Brother Medearis will be joining us.
I was just at a stop light...eating ice...and rolled down my window because my car was so hot from the heater blasting. I heard this girl scream out, "Leslie" which scared me to death!
It was Linda McLaughlin! She sounded like she was dying to talk to me or something. I was sure it was about Mark...but my light turned green and I had to go. I am going to call her right this minute!
Laurie said we all have to give her tips for dating at age 50! I told her how we do know....And that most of the little kids are only in their 30's!
She said we have to help her!
Laurie has always been good about letting us boss her around!
So funny...ok call me...it's Friday, even if it's late!
Post a Comment