Blog Archive
My Blog List
-
-
-
-
-
Let's Watch Conference12 years ago
-
-
-
Wise Men Still Seek Him13 years ago
-
-
-
-
Excited for YOSEMITE!!!!!!!!15 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
My Blog List
My Blog List
Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Lucy and Ethel's Fine and Finer Things League
I was searching for a picture of Pumpkin Moonshine and found an obituary for Tasha Tudor. Isn't that sad?I didn't know she had died. She died on June 20, 2008. She was 92 years old and said she had no fear of death or dying. She looked upon death as an adventure and she had every intention of going straight back to the 1830's after her death. She believed herself to be the reincarnation of a sea captain's wife who lived from 1840 or 1842,
and that she had been replicating this earlier life. Interestingly enough, her son said to please take his mother's colorful remarks with a pinch of salt.
I know we all have her books, and have read about her life many times, but it's sad to think she will no longer go on creating for her audience. She was such an interesting person, and anyone who turns their back on society and conforms to his own manner of living is fascinating. It usually takes a large amount of money to do so, but those who do always fascinate me.
I thought I'd list some of my notes from the book, The Private World of Tasha Tudor which I read years ago.
1. She lived in a setting of her own creation; a uniquely, beautiful private world.
2. The best thing that ever happened to her was going to live with the bohemian family who helped raise her.
3. She said you are always alone with your own mind.
4. She also said, "Joy is there for the taking," and titled one of her books, Take Joy.
5. She was always so proud of being a housewife. "Whenever I get one of those questionnaires and they ask what is your profession, I always put down housewife, why apologize for it. You aren't stupid because you're a housewife. When you're stirring the jam you can read Shakespeare." (or drying your hair.)
6. Her philosophy was best expressed by Henry David Thoreau."If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." "That is my credo. It is absolutely true. It is my whole life summed up."
7. There is a picture of Tasha Tudor against the evening sky with an orange tree and a barn in the backyard and a full moon. She has a black shawl around her and is carrying a pumpkin and quotes Mark Twain, "We are like the moon. We all have our dark side that we never show to anybody."
8. She thrived on hard work.
9. She said in regards to her children that she always thought of plenty of excuses to stay home when school wasn't called off. It was so much better than sitting in a classroom.
10. And lastly, "Anything worthwhile takes time."
I always wonder what it would be like to turn your back on society, and do exactly as you please. (I think this explains my old fascination with Hippies and 1960's culture.) Tasha Tudor even said, "I always wanted to live in Vermont, and because I always get my own way, this is where I settled."
I once read about a man who turned his back, packed all his books, and moved to a cabin. He spent years reading, and rarely had contact with anyone, and then,tragically, was eaten by a bear. This is the exact kind of thing that would happen to me and it keeps me from packing my books and moving!
I also thought I'd include a poem by George Cooper. We found it in a country living magazine a few years ago. I believe it's called October's Party.
October gave a party;
The leaves by hundreds came
The Chestnuts, Oaks and Maples,
And leaves of every name.
The sunshine spread a carpet,
And everything was grand,
Miss Weather led the dancing,
Professor Wind the Band
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"Propriety: noun: conformity to established standards of behavior or manner, suitability, rightness or justice. See "etiquette."
-Burnsie-
Popular Posts
-
If you haven't watched this movie could you please go straight to a Red Box, find it and watch it. It was ridiculous & absurd and I...
-
Here she is. Here is The Littles new dog. They wanted one so much that we gave in and let them have one. Doesn't she look like Girlie?...
-
All right, Sisters of The Yah-Yah Club, Where are all the comments? We need to get our Quilting Bee going again. Obviously, we need better ...
-
I have a funny story about this movie, or should I say a frustrating story. For weeks I'd wanted to see this movie, but it never worked...
-
Remember how in Meet Me In St Louis Tootie says she's so lucky to be born in her favorite city. Well, that's how I feel about Fall. ...
-
These are my latest addiction. They come in a bright, red bag. I usually eat the cheddar kind in the yellow bag, but when Erin was down sh...
-
The Littles went back to school today, and were happy to return. Actually, Erin Leigh was happy and Annie Laurie was semi-happy. That's ...
-
Is everyone ready or frantically getting ready for our trip? I'm so excited to go and am looking forward to being all together. I can ha...
-
I received my legal and signed document today from my ear surgeon. I have been officially excused from jury duty for the rest of my life du...
-
Just in case anyone had any doubt, which I doubt that anyone did, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is officially my new Magnificent Obsession. ...





7 comments:
I have no time to comment because I am desperately behind on Europe preparations but I have to tell you I loved this post. The quotes were wonderful and I love the poem. I really so love this time of year.
Tasha Tudor sounds amazing. It's funny there are parts of her that remind me of mom. Is seems like all great, individualistic women somehow remind me of her! I loved this one!
Great post, Leslie! I loved learning more about Tasha Tudor. Pumpkin Moonshine is one of our favorites. I'm dying to read the private world of Tasha Tudor. And I loved the poem at the end as well. Thankyou for posting this. I'm having trouble with the idea of posting right, now. I kind of want to give up, now.
Les,
What a fun post. I loved learning more about her. I recently called the Tudor Foundation because Catherine and I wanted to know what 'elevensies' parties were. I talked to a family friend. It was right after she passed and it was so interesting talking to the friend and looking through her foundation's website....you will have to take a look but I can't remember the site very well.
Anyway I often get the notion to either travel the world like a gypsy or lock myself up in a cabin and never leave like a hermit....
See you soon! Thanks again for the post.
Everyone was so nice about this post. I'm glad everyone liked it. I thought maybe it was too long, since I always tend to err on the long side!
Heidi, I love that you called a family friend for information. I did this once, from an article in Home Companion, and ended up having a long conversation with the author herself. (so gutsy when I was young, now I'd be too self-conscious).
I know you always have Wanderlust. I always have Homelust.
Everyone is frantically getting ready for Europe, myself included, but I can't wait to be all together, and travel in a pack, and laugh at everything, and see everything beautiful. It's going to be Mom and Dad's Greatest Party yet!
Good luck everyone getting ready. It'll all be worth it, once the suitcases are packed, and the kids have been kissed goodbye.
i want to come with all of you!!!
but jealousy aside, i really enjoyed this post. i will admit to not knowing who tasha tudor is (or was) but i will be looking her up.
Michal,
You will love Tasha Tudor. Her drawings are beautiful and full of nostalgia for times past.
You are so nice to be excited for all of us. I wish you could come, too.
Post a Comment