CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Laurie Can Do Anything

Did everyone know that Laurie is the Cultural Arts Director for her Stake? She is also the Roadshow Director for her ward.
Or maybe Courtney was the Director and Laurie was Co-Director. Well, they were both in charge so we drove out to see all the Roadshows last night.
Laurie looked just like Mom in a denim skirt, red white and blue, and a bandanna/scarf around her neck. She even wore little white sneakers, too. She looked like Mom but reminded me of Dad welcoming, conducting and giving instructions on the microphone.
Courtney was also in the roadshow with her kids. She was one of the lions, tigers and bears, and danced a routine to Thriller.
Laurie wrote The Roadshow and it reminded me so much of Mom's plays, starting with the uncooperative children at family night. Aunt Susie, Glenn and Kelly were the family, and so was Noah. None of the kids wanted to be there, the teenagers wanted to make important phone calls, the Grandma had been out wandering- looking for the mailman, and the father was very disappointed because everyone had gone over their minutes on their cellphones. So, Super Nanny shows up and orders them all to go camping for some uninterrupted quality time.
It was very funny, and Laurie did a good job. They sang the song "Goin Courtin" from Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, but Laurie changed it all to "Goin Campin," and Noah turned out to be the best singer of all.
The Littles loved it, and got to be part of The Finale. Laurie had made 300 streamer wands for EVERYONE! (Of course, she did.) So everyone stood on stage waving away. It looked great. The stage was lit with twinkle lights, patriotic posters were posted, and there were red, white and blue flowers, and flags, too. Everything was "Perty" cuz that's how Laurie does everything.
Court was in charge of directing and dancing. Alex was in charge of ALL the music for every ward. Mike was very impressed with this, and we told him Alex can do anything technical. Alex's parents came, too, and Mackenzie was good all night.
I was so glad we decided to come. All day I kept remembering Laurie helping me when I was Ward Activity Leader. She helped me with every activity for two years, hauled nearly every piece of furniture of Mom and Dad's to the stake center, blew up a million balloons, made posters, helped me with my kids, held whoever was the baby at the time, and most importantly, always, always helped me clean up. (The worst was Pioneer Day. Mallory was only 3 months old. When we got finished making 20 trips back and forth to the church we all came home and jumped in the pool with all our clothes on at midnight! We were so sick and tired of everything, that we just threw ourselves in the pool.)
The whole night was fun, and I was glad The Littles got to see what Roadshow was. Laurie gave every director their own Oscar and a candy bar because someone asked if there were going to be awards! (She raced out that day and got them. I swear we
are all the same. I taught Enrichment Night once, and someone said..No cookies? So, I raced home as fast as I could and made a batch.)
The whole night was fun, and of course, we went to El Taco, too. I was really glad I went and all the way home I kept thinking , Laurie can do Anything, and not only that She's Good At Anything She Does!

5 comments:

Catherine said...

Oh how fun! I miss roadshows.

Laurie really can do anything. She's amazing. It sounds like everything turned out perfectly and that Laurie made everything extra fun with all of her super duper,whopper, ideas!

I wish we could have been there.

Leslie said...

I miss roadshows, too. Not that I would want to be in any of them, but I miss the whole idea of them.

It's true, Laurie makes everything Better, which is why she has got to come to Europe with all of us! She had an interview today for a Dualah....which I really have no idea how to spell.....but it's a birth or postpartum assistant. She would be perfect for it, but I selfishly, have to say I don't want her to get it until after Europe.

She is coming out tomorrow and she is spending the night. We are suppose to go see Mama Mia so she can prove to me that its really good and I will like it. hahaha....I hope I will. Anyway, we're having a Slumber Party and everyone's excited.
Maybe you and Mary, Michelle, and Heidi should have a Slumber Party too for your next big night out. Then you can all get up in the morning and walk the kids to school.....just like the old days.

Katie and Mark said...

My Mom is amazing, isn't she? I feel like I type this ALL the time, but...I wish I could have been there!

Prudy said...

I wish I could have seen Laurie do all of that, or really just anything at all. She is amazing. I hope she doesn't get the job yet either. Heidi is so proud that she gets to be Laurie's roommate for Europe. We can't let her down. It would break her little heart.

Catherine said...

I think Laurie really would make an amazing doula! I know what a doula is because when I was expecting Annabelle, Paul insisted that we take a prenatal class. I didn't want to because I'd done my reading and I have 7 sisters. Anyway he insisted that we go and five minutes in, he starts playing games on his PDA! Anyway, the whole point of the story is that the class was taught by a doula!

But I really really hope that she can still come to Europe. She will make an amazing trip even better. Just like everthing she does! Hey where is she? Everyone is talking about how much we love and adore Laurie and she's not here!

Oh yes, while you have the amazing Laurie at your house for a slumber party, instead of manicures and make-overs into the wee small hours, ask Laurie to walk you through how to upload pictures, and then write it all down! Now that's what I call a slumber party.

Seriously, your slumber party sounds like so much fun! Are you going kick Mike out, and the two of you sleep in your room together and braid eachother's hair? I wish I could be there for your slumber party! Be sure and blog all about it so that we all know what we're missing.