CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Where is Everyone?

All right, Sisters of The Yah-Yah Club,
Where are all the comments? We need to get our Quilting Bee going again. Obviously, we need better subjects like Fiddle Flakes and Bathing Suits you can drown in.

Did anyone read Erin's comments about doing laps in the pool and pretending to be Michael Phelps? That was pretty funny.
It made me laugh.

What else? I read an article in Time Magazine today about Home Births gaining appeal and that women want to give birth in their own home or tub. (Their own tub! Why on earth!) (My first thought was, 'Oh, how messy!) It showed a picture of a young mom with long dark red hair parted in the middle in her bedroom standing next to.....I kid you not.....a blue blow up pool!
A blow up pool! Not the kind you buy at Target or Toys R Us, but close, very close. I just kept staring at the picture, amazed.
Why not just move it to the backyard, turn on the sprinklers and let your kids run around while you have their new sibling.
Female doctors from Boston's Massachusetts General Hospital have authored two anti-home birth books approved by The American Medical Association. Mom will appreciate that because she has always said having a baby at home is far too dangerous and these doctors agree.
I know we all feel that Home is Best, and we all love home, homeschool, and wish there was home church, but home birth in a blue wading pool is really a little too much.

Well, that is all I have time for for today. It's 2:30 and time to pick up The Littles and bring them none other than, HOME!
So, get our your knitting, yarn, thread, and scissors and let's gab it up. I miss all the commentary!

14 comments:

Leslie said...

Erin,
You and I seem to be in sync today since we're both begging for comments. I laughed when I read you were asking your readers "to pipe up."
I loved reading you were pretending to be Michael Phelps. I could just picture you swimming so seriously.

Well, help me out with topics here so we can get a good discussion going. Besides, you're funnier than I am.

Anonymous said...

Oh Leslie,
I was laughing my head off. That sounds so great. Next time I have a baby (I'll have to plan ahead so the weather will be warm enough) I'm turning on the sprinklers, laying out a blow up pool, and letting the kids play, while I bring the latest addition to play! But, I have to get a fence first. Oh the idea of a home birth is so disugusting and messy. Who are these women? I think Michelle's neighbor does homebirhting. Have you heard of hypnobirthing?

Leslie said...

I'm glad you're going to get that fence built before you're next baby! What would the neighbors say!
Listen to this: Now that I wrote something about your next baby, I just remembered I had a dream about your next baby. It was a boy, a blonde boy like Pauly, and Pauly was older and had a lot of hair, and Paul was blowing Pauly's dry.
(Isn't that crazy? It must be because we talked about Pauly's hair in the commentary on your blog. But, listen to this. This is the second dream I have had about hairdryers. I dreamt I came to church with WET HAIR! My hairdressser would say, "Can you imagine?" (haha...but can you? I would never go anywhere with wet hair.)Anyway, I had run out of time and went to church with my hair down and wet. The minute I got there I grabbed Tracy and asked her if she had a hairdryer, and of course she did because that is the kind of person she is, even in a dream. She had a hairdryer in her purse and so I borrowed it and blew my hair dry in the bathroom at church. Is that not hysterical? And now I'm dreaming Paul is blowdrying Pauly's full head of blonde hair.
(I think it means I am sick of blowing my hair dry. I really do think this because I've gone so many days with quick-easy Birdy-braided Jo hair and every time I dry my hair now it seems like it's taking even longer to dry.
Ok, one more Tracy story for you so you know that what I said was true and why my dream would make sense that she had a hairdryer in her purse.
On Monday for Family Night our ward went to see The Emma Smith movie. I saved a row in front of us for Trace and her family. They came in with hands full of kids, drinks and popcorn. And, as I am eating my popcorn she passes me back a bottle of popcorn seasoning! She had packed some in her purse!
See what I mean! (You should see her come to the beach. She has a beach cart and a Tackle Box..(literally) full of snacks. It's hysterical, and I always love to see what she's going to do, bring or pack next. I wish she'd pack my earthquake kit.

Anyway, I have gone on and on. I always do. Even our piano teacher sent me an email saying, "Thank You for the detailed response!"
(The next email I sent was only two words. I can take a hint....kind of.)

All right I am racing to Back To School Night tonight, tomorrow and Monday, too.
One more thing: What on earth is hypnobirth???? Do they hypnotize you into giving birth? Is there a magician there, too?

Ok, thanks for always commenting. I love it.

Fantastic Mr. R said...

Leslie,
I SAW the blue pool, too. I even showed Mikey. I was shocked by that flimsy little blow up pool. Can't you just see the thing popping and caving in right in the middle of birth?
Or the kids hanging on the edges? And yes, the mess! Who wants to bring that home?
I love what you wrote about the sprinkler party...very very funny. I guess there is a limit to approved home activities--school yes, dangerous birthing process NO.
Anyway, I'm back on the comment train. Keep them coming. Choo Choo.
ps.. Tracy sounds like Francis, who always packs such delicous things. Next time I wanna sit by Tracy.

Anonymous said...

Dear Mrs Montano,
Thankyou for the detailed response. What kind of popcorn flavor was it? And . . . at church with wet hair? That's like that junior high dream, where you're at school with no clothes on. I can't decide which is worse.

Hypnobirthing is exactly what you said, they hypnotize you for the birthing process. But instead of a magician it's a midwife. My friend tried it and was convinced she wouldn't feel any of the labor pains, well she got an epidural! Perhaps a magician would've been better.

Anonymous said...

Is this post only for the sisters of the yah yah? My sister in law, Gerta delivered a beautiful young baby at home. They are really into aquariums so they thought this would be a great idea... to mimmick nature, and she already looked like Shamu at this point, so why not? To make it even more memoriable her husband tossed a few corn flakes in the delivery portable pool to mimmick feeding the fish, (like fish flake food). So yeah it can work. My wife is an animal psychologist and she says it is very common for dogs to deliver puppies at home, but thinks for animals the inflatable pool(except for fish) might be a bad idea.

Good luck with blog Little Rieta, I think you are doing a splendid job.

Mitchell Brave (aka temparoo)

Leslie said...

Heidi, I am so glad you saw you the picture. I didn't even think about the kids hanging on the side wanting to peek over the edge. And, yes, they certainly could tip it over.
I really thought it was one of the dumbest and ridiculous things I've ever seen.

All right, I'm so glad you're back in the running. I loved your pictures of Anne slamming the slate on Gilbert's head. I feel like doing that all time. I'm gonna start carrying a slate in my purse.

Leslie said...

Heidi, I am so glad you saw you the picture. I didn't even think about the kids hanging on the side wanting to peek over the edge. And, yes, they certainly could tip it over.
I really thought it was one of the dumbest and ridiculous things I've ever seen.

All right, I'm so glad you're back in the running. I loved your pictures of Anne slamming the slate on Gilbert's head. I feel like doing that all time. I'm gonna start carrying a slate in my purse.

Leslie said...

How did that get in there twice?
I was trying to send a message to Temparoo.

Dear Mitchell Brave,
Your sister-in-law sounds like the truly brave one in the family to deliver her baby in an aquarium.
What a unique, exciting and memorable birthing experience.

Your family sounds like it has some very unique ideas, and careers as well. It was interesting to read that your wife is an animal psychologist. Most of my sisters, and I, and my mother too, are really rather afraid of animals. Your wife sounds like a brave girl too.

Also Mitchell, I was a little alarmed at first that you had found my blog and had left a comment, since we live in a "creepy blog nation." So, forgive me for not responding to your original comment.

My kids have since checked out your blog, and loved the disco Star Wars music. I'm sure they'll be leaving you comments soon.
Thanks for leaving one with me. It was really nice of you, Temparoo.

MK and Co. said...

Leslie,
This post and all it's comments are too funny. A blue birthing pool! Are you kidding me? I like what Heidi said about the kids hanging on the sides of it. I could see my kids trying to put their feet in it or something horrible. I really cannot imagine why anyone would want to bring all the mess and chaos that comes with having a baby into their home. Just think of the laundry waiting for you! Yikes!

Prudy said...

Sorry I'm late in responding. This is my teaching "coffee" break, and I'm in the teacher's lounge making copies and complaining with my coworkers about the kids these days.
I really can't believe about the homepool birth. Home is best, as you said, for public things, but for private things I prefer the public hospital. I'm very private in public, and very public in private. I can't fathom the idea of giving birth in plastic. I'd rather lay on the ground in dirt and rocks like an Indian woman. Actually, I'm rather glad to be done with that, regardless of the locale. I still am hoping someone will drop a baby on my doorstep in a basket, but that is the extent. OK, the bell just rang and I better get back to my eager young students.

Leslie said...

Prudy,
Private in public, and public in private could be said of so many of us, but maybe none more so than Roy. Actually, I think I'm right up there, too. At least you got the performance gene!

The minute I read you'd rather be an Indian woman giving birth in the dirt and rocks I pictured you immediately in a brown dress and moccasins, with a very worried look on your face, and your hair was wild and curly 9th grade kind of hair. I think 9th grade hair crept in because of me saying you got the acting gene, and we had that terrible drama class today when I realized how shy I really am.
Yes, please call me this weekend. Could you set aside a block of time. We can set the timer, too.
Listen to this: Poor Tracy! Mike asked her to do all the decorations for his Dad's Birthday Party! (Do you even know about this? It's his 70th on Saturday.)
Anyway,she always decorates her island in the kitchen so Mike is having her do ours, and he's making her do the tables, too! "Poor Her!" I haven't talked to her all week. She's probably mad that she's having to do my job! hahahahahah! Anyway, Poor Her.
Of course, I want to go into groundhog mode and stay in my room and not come out til I see my shadow! haha But, Mike's making me go, and I figured I better be there since my friend is decorating and will be there, too!
Arnie and Kathy are coming and staying with us for the weekend. Can't you drive down and come too?
Hey, is Laurie there? I heard she was comin'. Did you bake a cake?
Your whole blog readers should know you would never just bake a cake. It would be quiche for breakfast, cookies for a midmorning snack, corn on the cob to tide you over til dinner, and then a seven course meal and delicious dessert, too.
All right Private Prudy, call me when you feel like going public!

Leslie said...

I just reread my comment, and realize I wrote that we had a drama class together today.
That would never happen, but once upon a time, 23 years ago it did, and it was Terrible!

You know I never went to that class, but good old Mr. Buyers still gave me an A. Probably just because your performances were so good!

Prudy said...

Oh, good luck at the party tomorrow. What a good friend you have to come and do the decorations at a party that you don't even want to go to. Make sure you take a picture and post it here.
I wish you could come up here and be a groundhog with me. Blogging is perfect for all of us agoraphobes, since we can maintain a sense of community without ever having to leave the house, or fix my hair in my case. YOur wet hair nightmare cracked me up, since I went to church with wet hair a couple weeks ago. I wasn't happy about it, but well, it just happened and I had to let it be curly. Only it really isn't curly, it's sort of frizzy and frazzled and old. And gray, too. I walked home after sacrament meeting and fixed it up a little at least. I felt like a wet teenager that didn't want to get up on Sunday morning. Anyway, I'm awful tired, Les, so I'm going to bed before it's time to start all over again tomorrow. E